Patty on In the Circle podcast

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
The Far Journey

Patty on In the Circle podcast

Post by The Far Journey »

PG was on In the Circle a couple days ago for a very interesting interview. Her answer to Tropical's under the radar question was surprising and scary. One big reveal was that SJ Guerin will redshirt this year. Probably a move that will benefit her.

https://fastpitchnews.com/inthecircle
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks for posting this Journey...can't wait to listen to it.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

The Far Journey wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 am PG was on In the Circle a couple days ago for a very interesting interview. Her answer to Tropical's under the radar question was surprising and scary. One big reveal was that SJ Guerin will redshirt this year. Probably a move that will benefit her.

Was there any indication of redshirting Hodge too?
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Definitely worth listening to. Patty is very high on May, so I think we are in good shape pitching wise.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

TropicalSooner wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:50 am
The Far Journey wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 am PG was on In the Circle a couple days ago for a very interesting interview. Her answer to Tropical's under the radar question was surprising and scary. One big reveal was that SJ Guerin will redshirt this year. Probably a move that will benefit her.

No. Other than Guerin, no mention of other redshirts.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

oufanforever wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:51 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:50 am

No. Other than Guerin, no mention of other redshirts.
Great! Thanks a lot!!
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I thought the interview was great.

I am glad to hear what I thought about Coleman is true. She will hit 15 HRs in 2023, maybe closer to 20 in the leadoff spot. Boomer Sooner!

Glad to hear about Storako as well.

I was told that Torres was working at 1B some, which Coach Gasso mentioned in the interview. I think she might have been given a catcher's glove to practice with also.

8 days.....

Boomer Sooner!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I always enjoy hearing PG's take on the team - and their keeping the focus on themselves and their standards. She said, as I understood it, that the Secret Sauce was about recruiting great athletes that fit the culture and Championship Mindset at OU. "Our program is not for everyone," she said.
Which partially answers a question I asked in another post about transfers and recruiting and the bench.

The distractions of fame, expectations, and NIL money are a challenge to manage for these women who are not even 22 years old.

Though not really covered as an explicit topic, it was hinted at: Athletes are balancing NIL deals with practice and school, and have a lot of growing up to do in a hurry. I heard PG mention, on another podcast, about how nice it would be for players to be able to bankroll enough NIL money to be able to buy a house after graduation....Wow! Even a VERY modest house these days is 300-400K in the KC area right now.

This is no negative commentary from my end about the money and who "deserves" what. I was just thoughtful of how things have changed from 'back in the day' to now. (Yes, I know, players have been paid forever. But this is all now legal and above board. That's all.)

It's the same for male athletes...except the amounts of money are massively different. That tricky Y chromasone! (The Alo's could buy Hawaii! Ha!)

If G3 had been 'born a son' (old Nirvana cover song reference), she'd be staring at a generational wealth amount of money in the face in a few months. What would the best SS in college baseball be worth in the MLB? Answer: A literal TON of $100 bills! Not trying to rattle any one's cage here. PG has said the same before in her advocacy for women's equality in sports. Argue it with her, not me, please.

I get that SB does not currently generate the money the MLB does....However, PG made a great point, in another interview, that it is also fair to say that SB has not been given the resources/capacity/opportunity to compete with other sports like men's baseball and basketball. When you can only fit 2,000 max into your arena, you are denied the opportunity to compete with other sporting spaces that can seat and sell 10,000 to 80,000 tickets. Like I said, take up any arguments with PG, not me.

I hope the chemistry and magic can be there on a Team Level most of all. The unity. The grit. The foxhole fight for your teammates. The Championship Mindset. I think they are in good hands. PG seems to feel confident in this group. So am I.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Softball has grown immensely, but just doesn't have the potential fan base that baseball has. Consequently, there isn't enough financial clout to support the kind of payouts that Patty would prefer, as would everyone involved in the sport. She and OU, and our student athletes have definitely risen very far in the area of financial success, compared with earlier days of the sport. I think they have farther to go, as well. Getting Love's Convenience Stores committing to donate so much to building the infrastructure that is ongoing was a real feather in OU softball's cap. Patty's salary is/was a real eye opener. However,I can't help but think that the ceiling is not as high as it is for baseball, the sport that softball is compared to the most.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 pm Though not really covered as an explicit topic, it was hinted at: Athletes are balancing NIL deals with practice and school, and have a lot of growing up to do in a hurry. I heard PG mention, on another podcast, about how nice it would be for players to be able to bankroll enough NIL money to be able to buy a house after graduation....Wow! Even a VERY modest house these days is 300-400K in the KC area right now.
Housing prices are very location based. I know nothing about the KC housing market, even though that's where my parents were from. I do know that my daughter bought a house near Penn Square Mall that had been completely redone and got it for around $250k three years ago. That same house in Austin would go for twice as much. And her neighborhood has a lot of flipping going on right now.