2023 Transfer Portal Season is wide open! Who would you want to see come available in the Portal this year???

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

If Cagle hits the portal next week and wants to consider coming to Oklahoma....you've got to consider her. Not only for her pitching talent, but I'd take her just for her bat. 19 HRs so far, and if any of our pitchers leaves one hanging it'll be gone too. She will be a Redshirt Senior next year. It would take a special kind of pitcher (or hitter) to come to OU. You've got to be team oriented and willing to share your time in the circle and be supportive when you're not in the circle. Alex has been a good example of that. I think Alex has really enjoyed her time as a Sooner. She hasn't had the huge pitching load she had at Michigan and she's had the best defense in the country behind her and the best offense to support her. Probably seems like a vacation to her. If Cagle enters the portal...and is that kind of person....willing to share and support and play a role on the team, then she would probably fit right in. She might be tired of carrying the load all the time too.

As for our young'uns....we have done pretty well trying to get all of them meaningful playing time in their non-starter roles. I feel really good about some and a little concerned about others. The incoming freshmen will be pushing to try to get their own playing time in, while this year's bench fight to become starters next year. I guess we'll see where all this sifts out come June.
aka Crimson47
TALSOONER

Post by TALSOONER »

I find it interesting that a thread on Transfer Portal players didn't mention NIL.
Fouts got $146,000
Our highest was what, $46,000
Some of our players may leave for the $.
Other schools may buy transfers we want..
It's a new game......

And the fans will not be informed about the bidding/offers........To bad it's not public.....
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

TALSOONER raises a relevant point. My brain has not caught up to the facts and impacts of NIL yet.

While Oklahoma is a smaller population state, I am hoping in this Brave New NIL World that the National OUSB Brand can maintain parity with the Mega Markets out there. Moving to the SEC won't hurt the reach to a larger audience.

I noticed Jordy had a sports drink bottle front and center on the table at a post-game interview. I immediately thought NIL deal; and if not, why not? I hear her on the radio promoting a business in the OKC area. I'm sort of surprised I don't see and hear more players marketing things.

If I were a superstar player in the age of NIL, I would strongly consider jumping in with both feet and employ a whole crew of marketing folks and legal representation before I signed with a team. (I'm sure some of the kids are already there.) I'm not saying I like all the aspects of the NIL. Will we ever see a Million Dollar D1 women's softball player? I mean, would some billionaire booster drop a personal cash deal to the next young Alo to come play at his or her alma mater? Will some players make more than the coach or even the AD someday? Maybe not likely, but I wonder how that would shake up a public university athletic program.

I agree that transparency is a great thing! Since many universities receive public funds, the public has skin in the game.

Hopefully, there is enough oversight to discourage unethical and illegal behavior. A scandal could destroy everything in an instant.

That super-star player in the portal: I don't think Patty would hesitate to bring in ANY player from the portal if she thinks it is an up-grade to the team. It is her job description to do so. Nevertheless, I'm sure she agonizes over every decision and the impact it will have on current and future players.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Taryn Kern from Indiana is a prime example of the type of player I think OU could get IF she went portal . She batted .404 ,23 hrs , 69r , 68 rbis . I think aplayer like this would jump at a chance to be a Sooner AND PLAY UNDER A LEGEND AND WIN A TITLE .
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I thought I saw somewhere that Kiki Milloy was possibly rumored to be interested in transferring to us next year to play her final year at OU with her sister. Is her sister even coming here? I don't follow our recruiting as closely as I should....

Duh - she is https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/ ... 195211660/
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Great suggestion on Kern, wg!

Is she on par with Cagle (not portal potential at this point) as a two-way player in your view? Are two-way players what OUSB needs or wants? Or would the program mold a player one way or the other (pitching or batting) to be elite at one aspect rather than merely good at both?

I'll throw this out there as a slightly different take:
What are the immediate or near-term needs the Sooners have right now not covered with the current team or new recruits in '23 and '24 classes?

We have a big class of Legends leaving at the end of 2024 which I feel is a major (perhaps temporary) change for the program. We also have big classes of elite players coming in to fill those needs at the end of 23 and into 24. Could these players be spooled up to elite level players by 2025? I don't see why not.

So, my question is: Are we missing anything for the portal-term-future on Offense, Defense, and Pitching that are not covered already? And would a portal grab or two signal anything about where PG sees a weakness in the short or near term? Hedging bets is very human.

I can completely understand why OUSB would want to ladle the cream off the transfer portal urn. I'm just wondering if they really need to. And if they don't make some picks from the portal, will people freak out? Or be more confident?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:18 pm I thought I saw somewhere that Kiki Milloy was possibly rumored to be interested in transferring to us next year to play her final year at OU with her sister. Is her sister even coming here? I don't follow our recruiting as closely as I should....

I would not expect Kiki to jump into the portal. Here sister. Tia, does not arrive in Norman until the fall of 2024. Kiki will be done by then.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:35 pm
SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:18 pm I thought I saw somewhere that Kiki Milloy was possibly rumored to be interested in transferring to us next year to play her final year at OU with her sister. Is her sister even coming here? I don't follow our recruiting as closely as I should....

I would not expect Kiki to jump into the portal. Here sister. Tia, does not arrive in Norman until the fall of 2024. Kiki will be done by then.
Totally makes sense and I wasn't sure it was a legit thought when I saw it. I'm sure Patty knows what she would like to accentuate the class and will trust that just like this year she will fill those needs!
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Not knowing anything about Kiki and/or Tia, I wonder why Tia didn't follow Kiki to the Vols? I know the younger one may not want to follow the older one due to always being compared or just wanting to forge their own legacy. But I can't help but think that it is possible that the Kiki told Tia that if Patty came calling she should go to OU..... which could mean that Kiki might feel like she made a mistake (if Patty did offer her). I know this is all speculation but I can't help wondering WHY?
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: I think Kia Malloy may have just want to create her own legacy at OU much similar to the reason Sydney Romero came to OU instead of folling her sister Sierra to Michigan.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: With Pattys tendacy to move players who are very talented to other positions to get them on the field makes it hard to really know who she may take in the portal if they are interested in OU. A talented young pitcher besides Ruby Melan at Washinhton that I wouldnt mind coming to OU would be Cassidy Curd at Duke.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:05 pm :ou: I think Kia Malloy may have just want to create her own legacy at OU much similar to the reason Sydney Romero came to OU instead of folling her sister Sierra to Michigan.
After posting, I decided to do a little research. It appears that all of Lawyer Milloy's daughters that play softball, all played for or will play for different schools
Amirah at Washington
Kiki at Tennessee
Tia to Oklahoma

So I'm betting you're right.....no one wants to follow their older siblings
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I think there's even another Milloy sister, one younger than Tia.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Their father says the youngest one is the best player
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

JSULL60 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:26 pm :ou: With Pattys tendency to move players who are very talented to other positions to get them on the field makes it hard to really know who she may take in the portal if they are interested in OU. A talented young pitcher besides Ruby Melan at Washington that I wouldn't mind coming to OU would be Cassidy Curd at Duke.
Ruby Meylan would be like 'manna' from heaven falling in Norman. I am really surprised that Meylan is yet to take an at bat at Washington. she was a feared hitter in summer ball. If she wanted to come an join her former teammate in Norman, I would be dancing in the street, well maybe the drive way. Meylan could be the combo "Storako-Lee" player for OU for 3 years.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:03 am :ou: Their father says the youngest one is the best player
There is.....Breya, ~11. If she turns out to be the best, I would hope she breaks with the others and signs with OU.