2023 Transfer Portal Season is wide open! Who would you want to see come available in the Portal this year???

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

2023 Transfer Portal Season is wide open! Who would you want to see come available in the Portal this year???

Post by TropicalSooner »

Already names are being entered in the Transfer Portal.
Any names you dream about showing up?
Anybody you would consider adding to the Sooner team if she became available??

Of course we will have a solid team next year if we do nothing in the portal.
But we do lose on of our three Ace pitchers (Storako) and a really big bat (Lee), plus Lyons and Green.
We are probably set on SS with available and incoming players now.
But maybe a Pitcher?
Maybe a Bat?

Who ya got in mind???
aka Crimson47
White River

Post by White River »

I like the team we have coming back along with the incoming class. We lose an Ace but the limited innings we've seen from Deal recently are certainly encouraging and if SJ is doing well with her redshirt, we should have quality and depth. I do have some concerns about replacing Lyons. While we have the defensive players, they don't bring the offense that Grace has. I'm sure Coach Gasso will have lots of options and won't hesitate to take players that will help the team. My opinion is, the transfers into the program will be very limited unless we have some players that transfer out after the season.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

First off, The Covid Extra Year had a unique impact on the portal, IMO. If nothing else, it allowed for one more year of experience and maturity in decision-making and thinking for young people. "Should I Stay or Should I Go Now.....?"(The Kinks). Also, because school kept going even though some sports did not, student athletes could graduate with an undergrad degree, and still be eligible to play their sport at another school for a year of graduate work: Like Storako who transferred, and Lyons who did not transfer. Two different decisions that worked out great for OU!!!

My Knee-Jerk List: That Canadian pitcher (Reimer?) who was #1....she chose Washington (?) was one I really wanted, and maybe she will change her mind like Alo did in switching from Cal to OU. She is the first one I would want....if she is a good fit for the culture and for herself. Elite Pitching is #1 on my Most Essential to Winning List.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if elite pitchers want to be the only ace on the team, or share innings among multiple aces as a staff. OU is moving to the staff concept where multiple pitchers carry an equal-ish load....with one ace-in-the-making who gets a few scraps until it is her turn to feast at the big table. It might be a self-filtering selection process in the end: The Team oriented players who want to compete and win will see OU as an ideal place; the Princesses who do not want to share the glory will not like OU. The feeling would be mutual on both sides. (That is not saying all elite pitchers who do not choose OU have character flaws....or do they? Hahaha! JK!!!)

I don't know of many, if any, other players that are better than the ones we have now...or will have soon in upcoming recruiting classes. Who would I trade for? At this point, I tend to believe that Coach has an eye for great talent and great potential, immerse them in the Championship Culture and Mindset, and mold them into the best they can be.

Overall, I know little about many players not currently on the team. I know a good amount about the incoming classes for 23, 24, and 25....which all look very strong to me! I'm like a gosling goose that imprints on our recruits...and I love them first and forever. So, I always cringe at the Portal stuff because it feels like a hedge on a promise made. (I get it, there are multiple millions of dollars riding on winning, not promises. It still hurts my heart a little. I feel Patty is trying to be as honest and upfront as she can be in this context. She has class, a sense of accountability for herself first, and she genuinely cares about these young women.)

Recent Transfers: I had to eat some crow about Lee (a One and Done) because I thought she was more than we needed to win, and it might cost Sanders, Nugent, and Erickson significant at-bats. When Sanders and Erickson sort of disappeared for awhile, I was so glad Lee was there to pick up the slack in a big way. Needless to say, the One and Done Storako has been electric and just what we needed. Both these transfers account for our current, historical success!

We need to be strong going into 2025 and the transition to the SEC. Next year, 2024, will be our practice and grind to be ready. I am confident about it. Overall, I think OU has so much more going for it into the future than ever. New Love's Field, Strong Recruiting Classes, Excellent History and maybe a Dynastic Decade in the Making....and the GOAT for a Head Coach.

Whatever OU does in the portal, it will be well thought-out and to meet future needs. I believe that is true.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: The Transfer Portal has been a gold mine of talent for Patty. You could fill a page of players names who were transfers to OU and became key players in the Sooners success over the past decade. Not counting this years transfers, my favorite position player who we got by tranfer has always been Shelby Pendley, One of the best players ever to put on a Sooner uniform and a key player for the 2013 National Championship team. She was an awesome 3rd base player and she is she is in the top 10 home run hitters of all time.
When it comes to my favorite pitching tranfer of all time, its kind of a 3 way tie.
Giselle Juarez. Without her do we win the 2021 National Championship? She was the CWS outstanding player. I dont think we win it without her.
Next is Paige Lowary, who without her, we probably dont win the 2017 National Title.
Then came Hope Trautwein. She was very good when she got here and coach Rocha turned her into an absolute stud. After Jordy Bahls injury, we would have had very tough time winning the title without her.
Now Alyssa Brito who when she came from Oregon, some wandered where she would fit in and the need to have her. She is a absolute stud at 3rd base and at the plate.
Now to this years transfers. Aynah Torres, Haley Lee, Cydney Sanders and Alex Storako. With the past issues of pitching depth due to Jordys injury, the addition of Storako was most welcome news. Storako was the top pitcher in the Big 10 and she has only gotten better. The other 3 transfers had people geussing and a little confused of what Patty had in mind. Withe loss Alo, Johns and Snow, there were some holes to fill. With Erickson, a freshman who is very powerful home run and ability to play first base was thought to be a strong candidate to replace Snow. I think at this time it was thought that Brito was going to change to 3rd base, So when the starting 3rd baseman from Arizona St was brought in people were a little surprised. When Haley Lee was brought in who was know to a very strong hitter and talented catcher, people were saying where she going to play. We are loaded at catcher and we have good cadidates for DP. Then we ened up getting Cydney Sanders, an All player who finished in the top 3 for freshman of the year who is an all American 1st baseman hit over 20 homeruns. We all know how how these players have done this year so far and how they have helped mode this years team to be the deepest and most balnced team in OU history and have the Sooners on a path to making history.
Now for thoughts on what positions Patty may go after in the portal. We loose one Storako, one of our 3 ace pitchers and Haley Lee, one of our most consistent and powerfull hitters.
Patty has stated that it is hard to use more than 3 pitchers in a rotation. This season is exhinit A. With the number of run rules and when you got 3 pitchers playong at such a high level, your prize pitching recruit who was listed as the number one player in the country can barely get any innings. Patty has also stated that you never always can use more pichers.
So the question is with Deal. At first, I had the opinion that as a freshman, she is no Jordy Bahl. But as the season has gone alongand her oppotunities have increased, I agree that she has the potential to be a left handed ace. If OU gets the 3 peat Natty or even if the dont, the chances are some stud pitcher is going to enter the portal and have her eyes on OU. There has been previous rumors that Valerie Cagle is planning to enter the portal. A player who is in the top 3 for POY. A stud pitcher and hitter that would fit nicely in the rotation. My concern is that another stud pitcher that will take a big bite of Deals innings for a another year may cause Deal to transfer. With SJ Geurin, I taking a wait and see approach. As for a stud short stop or power hitter from the portal. That may be a possibility.
Patty has crafted the deepest and most complete roster in OU history through recuiting highschool All Americans and stud tranfers. I think we can trust her judgement
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

On paper last year I thought we were fine and of course we brought in 3 players and a pitcher who are instrumental in this years championship run . I say that in order to say ththat once again I feel we are fine with returnees and incoming frosh . Will it surprise me if PG brings in stud transfers ? No , in fact I would be shocked if there were not some additions , but I have no idea who . PG does know her team and its needs ; if any . I ain't worried one way or another .

Great thread ,I actually had thought of this but figured it as a post championship topic .
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I think the Sooners will only look for mulit-year players with 2 or more years of eligibility left. The team will be very mature next year with 7 final season players. Next year is a year to attempt to win another Natty with the talent on the field and to two find players that can lead the team in 2025. I think players like Cyd Sanders with 3 years left or at least 2 years left will be the type of the players that will be picked up if anyone is.

Yes, a big bat, a SS or a pitcher are the obvious players that could be interesting.

The Sooners have three potential starting players coming in the fall from the Class of 2023. Kasidi Pickering is a potential starting RF in 2024, Nellian McEnroe-Marinas is a potential starting SS, 3B, 2B in 2024. Ella Parker is a potential LF, 1B and DP in 2024. Maya Bland is a very good utility player (think of Reagan Rogers who also can play some infield) with speed in 2024.

I thought the Sooners were pretty set for the 2023 season before they picked up the 4 transferred last year. When Turiya Coleman entered the portal after last season (along with Donihoo) I could see one or two, but four surprised me. Sanders was a 3-year addition, Torres was a 2-year addition. That was the key for those transfers I think.

I believe there will be very few current players that will choose to enter the portal, but we as fans not close to the situation never know the needs of players and their families. Playing time, travel costs for parents, and many other reasons can be valid reasons for a player to enter the portal. The evidence of Sooners that transfer elsewhere and having success is a good set of evidence if you look around. I look for one or two players leaving at most and hope that none enter the portal. I think one or two transfers coming in will be what we might see if everything lines up well for the players and the Sooner team and family.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: The incoming class is extremely talented. The 2024 team will again be very deep. From a coversation with another poster off the board, Ella Parker who has tremendous power and kasidi Pickering are 2 players very likely starters. Parker at DP and Pickering at RF. But with Patty you never know, since the players she has now can play multiple positions very effectively.
Regarding Short Stop, when I saw Avery Hodge play defense, she was like a magician on the field. It was her bat that I wasnt to excited about. I not a big fan of pure slap hitters in the batting order. However, when she came to bat in regionals this last weekend and the defense all pulled up expecting a slap hit, she promply hit a line drive over all thrir heads that went to the wall. If she is a triple theat similar to Jayda Coleman, she will definately challenge for starting SS.
With the arrival of Ella Parker, OU will have Sanders, Erickson and Parker with geat power that will likely rotate.
I do think the addition of a pitcher is most likely. While only taking transfer players with 2 or 3 years of eligibility does make since given the fact that we loose Starako this yearand May next year. You always have those studs who have one year left to get a championship and want to join the Sooners to pursue that dream as as they figure OU gives them the best shot.
Over the next 2 to 3 weeks, prominent names will start to pop up in the portal. Dont be surprised if a couple of them end up joining the Sooners
RahOKU

Post by RahOKU »

The fascinating part of this year's portal scramble is how the timelines have accelerated. There were three or four players (at least) entering the portal for teams that were in the NCAA tournament. And not just bench-warmers looking for an early exit. Players who are contributors and starting for NCAA tournament teams. Some may be graduates looking for a place to land because their undergrad school doesn't offer the grad major they seek. Others?

IMO, Patty will continue to get the pick of the litter when it comes to portal players. Coaches can reach out to players who are in the portal, so that means some of these girls may already have heard (or not heard) from The G.O.A.T., though it wouldn't surprise me if Patty is holding off any contacts until after the WCWS. In any event, this is become a very interesting time of year. The Sooners are not a developmental program. They would be interested only in highly skilled, finished athletes who can add to the mix here in terms of skill and personality fit.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:42 pm First off, The Covid Extra Year had a unique impact on the portal, IMO. If nothing else, it allowed for one more year of experience and maturity in decision-making and thinking for young people. "Should I Stay or Should I Go Now.....?"(The Kinks). Also, because school kept going even though some sports did not, student athletes could graduate with an undergrad degree, and still be eligible to play their sport at another school for a year of graduate work: Like Storako who transferred, and Lyons who did not transfer. Two different decisions that worked out great for OU!!!

My Knee-Jerk List: That Canadian pitcher (Reimer?) who was #1....she chose Washington (?) was one I really wanted, and maybe she will change her mind like Alo did in switching from Cal to OU. She is the first one I would want....if she is a good fit for the culture and for herself. Elite Pitching is #1 on my Most Essential to Winning List.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if elite pitchers want to be the only ace on the team, or share innings among multiple aces as a staff. OU is moving to the staff concept where multiple pitchers carry an equal-ish load....with one ace-in-the-making who gets a few scraps until it is her turn to feast at the big table. It might be a self-filtering selection process in the end: The Team oriented players who want to compete and win will see OU as an ideal place; the Princesses who do not want to share the glory will not like OU. The feeling would be mutual on both sides. (That is not saying all elite pitchers who do not choose OU have character flaws....or do they? Hahaha! JK!!!)

I don't know of many, if any, other players that are better than the ones we have now...or will have soon in upcoming recruiting classes. Who would I trade for? At this point, I tend to believe that Coach has an eye for great talent and great potential, immerse them in the Championship Culture and Mindset, and mold them into the best they can be.

Overall, I know little about many players not currently on the team. I know a good amount about the incoming classes for 23, 24, and 25....which all look very strong to me! I'm like a gosling goose that imprints on our recruits...and I love them first and forever. So, I always cringe at the Portal stuff because it feels like a hedge on a promise made. (I get it, there are multiple millions of dollars riding on winning, not promises. It still hurts my heart a little. I feel Patty is trying to be as honest and upfront as she can be in this context. She has class, a sense of accountability for herself first, and she genuinely cares about these young women.)

Recent Transfers: I had to eat some crow about Lee (a One and Done) because I thought she was more than we needed to win, and it might cost Sanders, Nugent, and Erickson significant at-bats. When Sanders and Erickson sort of disappeared for awhile, I was so glad Lee was there to pick up the slack in a big way. Needless to say, the One and Done Storako has been electric and just what we needed. Both these transfers account for our current, historical success!

We need to be strong going into 2025 and the transition to the SEC. Next year, 2024, will be our practice and grind to be ready. I am confident about it. Overall, I think OU has so much more going for it into the future than ever. New Love's Field, Strong Recruiting Classes, Excellent History and maybe a Dynastic Decade in the Making....and the GOAT for a Head Coach.

Whatever OU does in the portal, it will be well thought-out and to meet future needs. I believe that is true.

Well....yeah. Of course. If we're going down that path, absolutely I'd take Morgan Reimer in a heartbeat. Or....Addisen Fisher for that matter (UCLA).
I think after these girls commit, it's hands off.....but if they change their mind on their own and decommit then yep--I welcome either or both with open arms. Seems like we had a commit ourselves who decommitted and went with Boise St? Maybe a year or two ago?
My take on both those girls--Reimer from Brit Columbia Canada and Fisher from Oregon, that the race with us was close but ultimately they stayed closer to home. Don't know if that was really the 'real' reason behind their decisions, just how it made sense to me. Perhaps after thinking about it more, they may decide to change? LOI signing day is in Nov I think.....so after that, it would have to be a portal pickup.
Nice call though, KC.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:08 am
Well....yeah. Of course. If we're going down that path, absolutely I'd take Morgan Reimer in a heartbeat. Or....Addisen Fisher for that matter (UCLA).
I think after these girls commit, it's hands off.....but if they change their mind on their own and decommit then yep--I welcome either or both with open arms. Seems like we had a commit ourselves who decommitted and went with Boise St? Maybe a year or two ago?
My take on both those girls--Reimer from Brit Columbia Canada and Fisher from Oregon, that the race with us was close but ultimately they stayed closer to home. Don't know if that was really the 'real' reason behind their decisions, just how it made sense to me. Perhaps after thinking about it more, they may decide to change? LOI signing day is in Nov I think.....so after that, it would have to be a portal pickup.
Nice call though, KC.
The player that decommitted was Leah McAnally from Edmond that went to Boise State. She will arrive this fall in Idaho. Corri Hicks in the next class for OU, is her replacement. We did well in that swap I think. McAnnally will be good, but not as good as Hicks.

We also had a second commit that backed out in this same class of 2023. Madysen Manning. She was a Louisiana girl that was a SS when she committed to OU. It was rumored that she was asked to move to CF to be ready to play there also at OU. At some point, she decommitted and then announced her new committment to LSU. I think she believes she can play SS after Pleasant is done or maybe move to 2B for them. Manning was expected to be a good one.

I think we replaced Manning with McEnroe-Marinas. I think 'NellieMAC' will be the better of the two players.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I agree with Believer that we would prefer players with more than 1 year left. We already have a crowd leaving after next year.

Instead of looking for a position, I think it will depend on the player. Some players you just can't pass up if they're interested. Even if you don't have a natural opening for them. For example, if Valerie Cagle enters the portal and is interested in OU, then you have to listen. And as long as she's a cultural fit for the team, you take her. Storako is a prime example. Former Big 10 Pitcher of the Year. I don't know if Patty was looking for a pitcher, but when Storako became available and was interested in OU, she had to take her. Cydney Sanders was much the same.

You need 4 pitchers today. And a good staff is always one injury away from becoming a weakness. We managed to balance that last year when Jordy went down. Although it makes it hard to keep them all happy. That's the key, hitting or pitching.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: I agree with Austin TX Sooner, If Cagle enters the portal, and is interested you have to consider taking her. I think anytime Patty considers brining in a transfer pitcher, she cosults with the pitching staff to get their feelings about an addition. Patty said that the prevailing reason they wanted to come to OU was that it gave them the best chance to win a championship. I would think that any softball player who has aspirations of playing D1 softball dreams of playing in the CWS for a championship.
When they go to team where they indeed become an elite player but the team as a whole just cant reach championship level, a player gets down to their last year and they see their CWS dreams slipping away, they will look for a chance to tranfer to a team that can reach the CWS. Oklahoma provides that best chance to win a championship.
I may be wrong on this, it seems that Ace pitchers who have 2 or 3 years remaining and play teams who have for teams that have legitimate aspirations to reach the CWS very seldom transfer. Seems like they are pitchers who are buried in a pitching staff who want more opportunities to pitch and believe that their talent level should provide that opportunity, or a player like Hope Trautwein who have can compete at championship level but are on a team that will never make to the CWS or in the case of Storako who has one year to get a trophy, realizes the team she is on wont compete for a championship and jumpa at a chance to play for OU. My gut feeling is, that OU will get an absolute stud transfer pitcher
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

I think the Transfer Portal closes on June 28, so we have time. I will be pleasantly surprised if Cagle enters the portal, but stranger things have happened. I would think that Patty looks for a big name hitter to replace Haley Lee. And if the right pitcher enters, I suspect that she would take a hard look.
As for Sooner transfers, I think there is a chance we see two.
Sooner Cal

Post by Sooner Cal »

Patty will only take to fill a need or make the team better and the player must fit in win the players and the program. She has a power hitter coming in and a couple of outfielders. She has options in the infield, but she may want more depth there. Brito was the PAC 12 1st team SS, but I lover her at 3rd because she has a special arm. I think that might be the priority. I agree with those who say the need is really a year away when the greatest graduating class in softball history complete their careers.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

If Cagle hits the portal next week and wants to consider coming to Oklahoma....you've got to consider her. Not only for her pitching talent, but I'd take her just for her bat. 19 HRs so far, and if any of our pitchers leaves one hanging it'll be gone too. She will be a Redshirt Senior next year. It would take a special kind of pitcher (or hitter) to come to OU. You've got to be team oriented and willing to share your time in the circle and be supportive when you're not in the circle. Alex has been a good example of that. I think Alex has really enjoyed her time as a Sooner. She hasn't had the huge pitching load she had at Michigan and she's had the best defense in the country behind her and the best offense to support her. Probably seems like a vacation to her. If Cagle enters the portal...and is that kind of person....willing to share and support and play a role on the team, then she would probably fit right in. She might be tired of carrying the load all the time too.

As for our young'uns....we have done pretty well trying to get all of them meaningful playing time in their non-starter roles. I feel really good about some and a little concerned about others. The incoming freshmen will be pushing to try to get their own playing time in, while this year's bench fight to become starters next year. I guess we'll see where all this sifts out come June.
aka Crimson47