Sooners beat Ole Miss

Forum to discuss OU Men's Basketball
SwampSooner

Sooners beat Ole Miss

Post by SwampSooner »

OU 59 - Ole Miss 55

Haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, but looking at the Stats, it was a close game throughout.
EMan

Post by EMan »

Bijan Cortes played a really good game. Probably his best so far in a Sooner uniform. It was definitely a back-and-forth affair. The teams traded 4 to 6-point leads throughout the game, but it was the Sooners that had the last surge to put the game away. Another good game from Sam Godwin as well, so I'm continuing to munch on the crow sandwich I served up after the first game. And I must say, give me more! It tastes delicious! I thought the team defense has gotten better with each game, so hopefully that trend continues as well. A good solid win for the Sooners!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
SoonerLee

Post by SoonerLee »

Really like BJ, Godwin playing well
Who was mvp of tournament??
EMan

Post by EMan »

SoonerLee wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:58 pm Who was mvp of tournament??
Grant Sherfield
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners played well all weekend of the ESPN Events Invitational and won the event in a 59-55 victory over Ole Miss in the Finals. That is probably just what the doctor ordered for the Oklahoma Sooners early in this season. I will add here, that the only team the Sooners have lost to this season is Sam Houston who is 6-0 on the season with two wins over Power 5 conference schools.

OU shot well once again with over 50% shooting from the field, and the 3-point area. Once again they got more than half of their points in the paint. Today they got 23 points of the bench also. The Sooners are playing fairly well right now. Maybe better than that.

To me, today's key stats was the +/- numbers for the players. The +/- stat is the total scoring of the Sooners vs the scoring of the other team while the player is on the floor. Goodwin lead all Sooners with a +17 mark. Cortes logged a mark of +16. Hill added a +14. Hill doesn't surprise me, but Goodwin and Cortes sure do. The Sooners got very good play out of the two players today. Goodwin has been much better than I thought he might all season. Cortes making a re-appearance may help the Sooners in the long run also.

Sherfield led the Sooners with 12 points but 5 other players scored seven or more points in the game. Goodwin added 11 points with Cortes and Tanner scoring 10. Hill and J Groves scored 7. The Sooners also won the rebound total 26 to 24. The team also had a low total of 12 turnovers.

To me, the focal point of the win was with about 4 minutes left in the second half. Ole Miss had just scored a 3-pointer on a long range shot to take the lead 55-52. Bijan Cortes stepped up to core on two layups under duress from defenders on consecutive trips down court. He made one from the right side and one from the left side. The Sooners then lead 56-55 and they never looked back I think. Hill added another bucket in the paint to make the score 58-55. A free throw by T Groves made the final score 59-55 as the clock wound down. After the 3-pointer Ole Miss made to take the 3-pont lead, they did not score again in the last 4 1/2 minutes.

The Sooners (6-1) will take the floor in their next game on December 3rd (Saturday) against Villanova. That game will be on CBS, at 11:30 AM. Villanova is 2-5 on the season.

Boomer Sooner!
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

Add me to the list of crow eaters. They have really rebounded since the opening loss. Really like Godwin.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Moser has them going in right direction. 6 wins in a row is hard to do no matter when due to level of competition in college beimg so much parity. Great win/s! Got a trophy already. Will only get better too
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

4 minites of highlights

In Brent I Trust :D
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I just finished watching today's game. After watching all 3 games, I was struck by how it isn't always the same guy making the key plays. Today was Cortes. Friday was Sherfield and Godwin. Thursday was the Groves brothers and Noland. Everyone contributed. If this continues, it will be quite hard to stop this team.

The next game is Saturday at Villanova. It is on CBS at 11:30.