OU M & W Tennis @ NCAAs in Individual & Doubles Play this Week !

OUBeliever56A

OU M & W Tennis @ NCAAs in Individual & Doubles Play this Week !

Post by OUBeliever56A »

For the Sooner Men, Alex Martinez and for the Sooner Women, Julia Garcia-Ruiz, Dana Guzman, Florencia Urrutia and Alina Shcherbinina started play in the NCAA individuals and doubles play at the NCAA Finals on Monday and Tuesday, May 20h and 21st.
  • [9-16] Alex Martinez won his first round match in the round of 64 on Monday over Tulsa's Pierce Rollins 7-6 (3), 3-6 and 6-0. On Tuesday, the 21st, Martinez played JJ Tracy of Ohio State. Tracy defeated Martinez by the score of 6-3, 7-6 (6).
Here is the Sooner staff writers article about Martinez's two matches.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/5/21 ... ampionship

For the Women, Garcia-Ruiz, Guzman and Urrutia played in the Single competition with Guzman-Shcherbinina playing in the Doubles competition.
  • Julia Garcia-Ruiz opened play on Monday as she played #7 Seed Rachel Gailis (FLA) and won her match 6-4, 6-1. On Tuesday, she played Elizabeth Scotty (NC) and won again, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-4. On Wednesday, Garcia Ruiz plays Amelia Honer (USCB) in the Round of 16.
  • Dana Guzman played [9-16] Celia-Belle Mohr (Vanderbilt) on Monday. Guzman retired in the match with the score 4-2 in favor of Mohr.
  • Florencia Urrutia played Carolyn Ansari (Auburn) on Monday and was defeated in two tie-breakers 7-6 (2), 7-6 (1).
  • In doubles, in the round of 32, #3 seed Guzman-Shcherbinina played Fontenel-Spaka (Arizona State) on Tuesday and won 6-0, 6-1. Guzman-Shcherbinina faces Mert-Vidmanova (Georgia) on Wednesday in the round of 16.
Here is the pre-tourney article about the Sooner Women at the NCAAs.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/5/19 ... mpionships

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners had three Women's players still in the competition at the NCAA.

In the Singles, Julia Garcia-Ruiz faced Amelia Honer (USCB) in the Round of 16 on Wednesday. Honer defeated Garcia-Ruiz in a very close match 6-4, 5-7 and 6-4.

I:n the Doubles, Dana Guzman-Alina Shcherbinina faced Mert-Vidmanova (Georgia) on Wednesday in the round of 16. Mert-Vidmanova defeated the Guzman-Shcherbinina 6-3, 6-4.

Here is the final report from the Sooner staff writers about the Sooner Women's tennis season.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/5/22 ... mpionships

I thought the Sooner Women played probably better than they should have in the 2024 Spring season. They fell a bit short of some of their goals i think, but they were a threat to win every match that they played and I think in many ways, had not true #1 or maybe even #2 singles player. But Julia Garcia-Ruiz an Dana Guzman stood up and gave the Sooners great play at those two positions. The Doubles teams were changing spots and players most of the season due to injuries and other reasons. But the Sooners were usually the winner of the Double point due to the strength at #2 and at times at #1 and #3 spots.

In particular, I want to say that I really enjoyed going to the matches and watching Dana Guzman play over the last three Spring seasons. IMO, Guzman is an exceptional player and can hit the ball with anyone all day long and usually win the point, the set and the match. She just outperforms many players that might have more talent than she does. She is a good, strong singles player but probably is a better doubles player. She does not hit the ball with great power, but she returns the ball relentlessly with purpose and intent. She has made me a fan of Sooner Women's Tennis.

I think the future is bright with the team only losing Guzman and Florencia Urrutia for next year. The Sooners have 8 players returning that played in matches in 2024. I think i remember three players (I need to go check that) joining the team this fall also. They will be in need of a true #1 singles player and they will miss Guzman's steady play and leadership, but I think the Sooners will be a top team in 2024-25 even in the SEC next 'year'.

Boomer Sooner!