Bedlam Football to End

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
EMan

Bedlam Football to End

Post by EMan »

Saw a report that the Bedlam football series will end once OU joins the SEC. I suppose the two schools will agree to play each other once in a while, but supposedly it will not be on an annual basis anymore. Saw the report off Channel 9.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...can I get a halleluja?

Can I get an amen?

Good Riddance!

Smell you later, OwussU. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Oh No! Jeez, say it ain't so!(heh)
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

Here is the article from the Tulsa World. I copied the stance of both ADs from the article and pasted them below.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/o ... 68d1a.html

“Oklahoma State has shown no interest to schedule any future games in football, so we’re moving on (with filling OU’s future nonconference openings),” Castiglione said in the The Action Network’s report.

“(Playing Oklahoma) presents logistical issues under our current (scheduling) structure,” OSU AD Chad Weiberg told McMurphy. “We don’t have any openings to play them. We’re full. Unless there are significant undertakings to make the game happen, it can’t happen.”

I guess playing UALR is more important to them than playing OU. I suspect 90-19-7 may have more to do with it.
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

SwampSooner wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:19 pm “(Playing Oklahoma) presents logistical issues under our current (scheduling) structure,” OSU AD Chad Weiberg told McMurphy.
Translated: Our current scheduling philosophy is to not schedule a nonconference opponent whom we have little chance of beating.
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Makes me kind of sad. I love the traditions of college football. And I understand things change, and even traditions change, and there are lots of reasons why it happens.

But when you lose a tradition that's been around almost as long as OU football has been, and a state tradition that's been around since before the state was a state, well you actually lose something, something that won't be replaced. You might start doing something else instead, but you won't replace it.

As an example, take the OU-Nebraska rivalry. Compare what it used to be to . . . well, now. That game was a big deal every year to me when I was growing up and much of my adulthood, but that part of college football will never come back. OU-OSU never had the same national implications, but it was special for other reasons - friends, co-workers, neighbors, families - a whole state - split down the middle. We'll develop new rivalries in the SEC, but just like none of them will ever be OU-Nebraska, none of them will ever be Bedlam either.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
walt

Post by walt »

Triple Option wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:15 pm Makes me kind of sad. I love the traditions of college football. And I understand things change, and even traditions change, and there are lots of reasons why it happens.

But when you lose a tradition that's been around almost as long as OU football has been, and a state tradition that's been around since before the state was a state, well you actually lose something, something that won't be replaced. You might start doing something else instead, but you won't replace it.

As an example, take the OU-Nebraska rivalry. Compare what it used to be to . . . well, now. That game was a big deal every year to me when I was growing up and much of my adulthood, but that part of college football will never come back. OU-OSU never had the same national implications, but it was special for other reasons - friends, co-workers, neighbors, families - a whole state - split down the middle. We'll develop new rivalries in the SEC, but just like none of them will ever be OU-Nebraska, none of them will ever be Bedlam either.
I'm with you TO. It is not a good thing for the state and not for OU either. Part of what makes college football so much fun to watch is the rivalry games that we see every year. Losing the Nebraska game really hurt both OU and Nebraska. Once you lose these kinds of games, you never get them back. There are lots of in-state rivalry games every year. Oregon State and Oregon, USC and UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State and so many others that are usually played at the end of the season. I doubt that it is OU that is responsible for the loss of the Bedlam annual football games. It is a shame that if OU and OSU can't find a way to make it happen every year. Otherwise, we will just have to find another school to fill in the void.

Everyone has an opinion, but I'm shocked that so many OU fans on this board don't get the value of an in-state rivalry with OSU. This game has been played for about 127 games since 1895, with OU winning 90 of the games, at 81%. It is shameful to throw this game out.
"In a world where we are all divided, we can all hate Lincoln Riley."
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Im HUSH on the matter for reasons...... but Im gonna give Walt sand TO an "Amen".And no!!I dont and never will like Orange!!!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

walt wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:46 pm
Triple Option wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:15 pm Makes me kind of sad. I love the traditions of college football. And I understand things change, and even traditions change, and there are lots of reasons why it happens.

I'm with you TO. It is not a good thing for the state and not for OU either. Part of what makes college football so much fun to watch is the rivalry games that we see every year. Losing the Nebraska game really hurt both OU and Nebraska. Once you lose these kinds of games, you never get them back. There are lots of in-state rivalry games every year. Oregon State and Oregon, USC and UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State and so many others that are usually played at the end of the season. I doubt that it is OU that is responsible for the loss of the Bedlam annual football games. It is a shame that if OU and OSU can't find a way to make it happen every year. Otherwise, we will just have to find another school to fill in the void.

Everyone has an opinion, but I'm shocked that so many OU fans on this board don't get the value of an in-state rivalry with OSU. This game has been played for about 127 games since 1895, with OU winning 90 of the games, at 81%. It is shameful to throw this game out.

...nothing but respect for the opinions of my peers at ST,...but I read this as OwussU is the MAIN REASON its ending!

Joe C., the SINGLE BEST Athletic Director in the nation said as much. Evidently he had reached out to the reindeer-humpers, but they were so insulted that OU would divorce them for the SEC, they communicated continuation is not possible.
Tractor Tech evidently, "don't get the value of an in-state rivalry with OwussU."

THE POKES THEMSELVES DON'T WANT TO CONTINUE TO PLAY THE SOONERS!
Such a definitively AGGIE move!

Joe C. said, "WE'RE MOVING ON."

So am I!!! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Regardless sentiments this is a childish man trying go cry about it. He never answered why osu will not want to play OU after we leave. He says OU followed Tx like we had no say. What a crock. This is why they will always be a little brother. He doesn’t answer why osu is not going to sec. He talks about money yet he himself levered Tenn to get huge pay raises. Osu even came up with that gimmick “buy 4 games package to OU/osu” game to keep OU fans away. It was osu who had the reindeer humper on Narional TV. It was osu band members trying to trip OU players while others threw turkey legs.

He could have stated he hates to see it end and that maybe at some point we can play them again. But he chose the low road. Brent badically said he has a game vs ksu to prepare for when asked (took high road).

As for them winning 3 of 17. One was gifted when Bob repunted. Last year our WR was tackled in end zone. Both shoild be OU wins and then its 1 out of last 17.

Gundy is a great coach for them they will never do better. But je has to learn how to not act like a child. His commemts will solidify to most OU fans why we are glad to move on.

Last edited by OU Guy on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

They will throw a big party when we leave for the SEC. They will finally have a legitimate shot at being Conference Champions annually. They will simply replace us with some directional school they can actually beat.

While “bragging” rights were fun, this “rivalry” was the rivalry that never was - OU has won somewhere around 90% of the games in the series. But to hear their fan base you would think that they were neck and neck with us overall.

We can now focus our OOC in areas where we recruit. There are a lot of schools in Florida and Texas*.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Gundy accusing OU of chasing money is ironic.

How many times has he flirted with other jobs for the sole purpose of bilking more money from OSU?

What a tool.
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

OSU, and their fans, can go rot on the vine as far as I’m concerned.

That said, they’re going to be better off on their own with the new playoff setup. They’ll win their share of the new conference which will definitely mean participation in the playoffs and probably at least half those years they participate will be in the top 4 ‘bye’ spots.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

I've always thought that football scheduling was absurd. If you want to throw out that OSU is not a true rival, that's fine, and they're probably not. There's seldom any competition for recruits and and series has been lopsided.
With that being said, it's a game that should be played. It's fun, and gets the 'ol blood pressure up.
There are other games that have and haven't been on the table that contribute to my thoughts of football scheduling being sort of ridiculous. When an opponent is UTEP, or Kent, or Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and not Arkansas, and Nebraska, and even some Big 10 teams like Wisconsin, well, that's a shame.

It's going to be blast playing in the SEC. I get that there will be some struggles. But can you imagine having multiple weeks playing teams that get you going like we're playing Texas*? Fun.

OSU will be fine but I think they're losing sight of what's best for our state and their school.
soonerBAS

Post by soonerBAS »

maybe i'm in the minority but I really don't care that much that it won't go on. we are going to have a heck of a tough schedule in the future with the SEC games. an osu game here and there wouldn't be bad but every year we don't need that if we are going to be playing teams like Alabama, Georgia, LSU ect...