Bill O'Brien leaves Bama...

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Oklahombre

Bill O'Brien leaves Bama...

Post by Oklahombre »

BOB has taken the OC job with the Patriots. One poster (claiming inside info) on the Bama board says Lebby will be the replacement and talks have been ongoing. Just need to work out some details.

Sorry, no link.
White River

Post by White River »

Not the news I wanted this morning. I hope Lebby stays primarily for continuity with this staff. If he leaves and doesn't poach any players we'll be fine. If lose JA because he leaves, that would be a major blow to take again and would cause major issues.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I don’t believe insiders. Plus Jackson is signed and enrolled.

Here are other candidates:

Buffalo Bills quarterbacks coach Joe Brady

New York Giants quarterbacks coach Shea Tierney

Ole Miss co-offensive coordinator/QBs coach Charlie Weis Jr.

Former Florida coach Dan Mullen

Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson

Former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman

Former New York Jets coach Adam Gase

Former Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Former Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Appropriate song lol

REO

Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who …

captnop

Post by captnop »

Who knows. We've had people claiming inside info and most of the time they are wrong. I do know a couple of recruits on the O side were waiting to commit because of the rumors and I think one or both did.. So that would tell me Lebby told them he was staying. I would think he would wait to tell them if he was really planning to go. Who knows, If he leaves they probably make a play for Kendal Briles or Phillip Montgomery since they run the same offense MOL.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Guy, you have a PM.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Keep track of that list of other candidates in case we need it
#Team Turnipseed
minnysooner

Post by minnysooner »

It’s Bama. Wouldn’t surprise me if Saban opens up the rest home again to some washed out NFL name. Whether that’s enough for Kliff to get off the Thai beaches is a whole other matter.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Oklahombre wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:29 am Guy, you have a PM.
Nothing there it must be taking sliw boat to china
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

OU Guy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:53 am I don’t believe insiders. Plus Jackson is signed and enrolled.

Here are other candidates:

Buffalo Bills quarterbacks coach Joe Brady

New York Giants quarterbacks coach Shea Tierney

Ole Miss co-offensive coordinator/QBs coach Charlie Weis Jr.

Former Florida coach Dan Mullen

Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson

Former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman

Former New York Jets coach Adam Gase

Former Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Former Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury
My money is on 1) Dan Mullen, 2) Charlie Wies, Jr. and 3) Adam Gase.

I don't include Lebby, because of what happened with Hawkins tweeting about postponing his commitment date when this story broke, then deleting it a few hours later. If Lebby told him he wasn't leaving then takes the job, he will have a hard time getting trust from players and parents in the future.

Can Lebby take their OC job? Of course he can. I just think there are more things keeping him at OU than making a lateral move to 'Bama - excepting a promise of a HC in waiting type of position.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
captnop

Post by captnop »

Whose to say this is not HC in waiting position possibly, or at least an early audition. BV is 52 ... He's has a lot of energy and is in tip top shape.. but who knows how he will feel about chasing a bunch of 16 years olds on social media in 8-10 years. if Lebby is very successful here, and moves on after a good run, he would be the odds on favorite when BV steps down. If he dumps OU for Bama after one below average season he would be Muleshoe 2.0. If it's just $$$ I'm sure OU would match.
SoonerMike

Post by SoonerMike »

Lebby had a good offense this last year with a new QB, weak to average OL, new head coach, new scheme, no high quality back up QB. Next year he will have an experienced QB, hot 5* backup QB, new but experienced transfer OL with good returnees, quality RB's, young but talented receivers, and a defense that should be much better than last year. That sounds like a recipe for success, with a chance for several year run of top quality talent here.

That should allow him head coaching opportunities at good schools. Why change? :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I scoured the OU tweetverse and find little to no talk of Lebby to Bama. Normally there would some leaks if it had any legs from my experience. This is not scientific but the normal beat writers are not talking Lebby and if it had legs they’d want to be “first” lol. I think some national guy threw his name in the hopper and thats what caused the earlier rumors but so far its quiet in the rumor mill.

Another point, Saban is not the easiest to work for how many OC’s have they had the past 10 years. You go there and not do great you are gone. Thats a lot of pressure for a young coach. And with GA winning it all the past 2 years there will be huge pressure at Bama for next OC. Who is their qb? Not the best scenario. We could be seeing the beginning of the end of their dominance. Saban always looks miserable lately at least this past year or two.

People talk about coach in waiting (at Bama) but don’t forget they have DC’s who could be in waiting. And I think Dabo might be the coach in waiting.

I also don’t see Lebby bailing on his class especially since OU will be in SEC and he would face them at a point. Jackson has been all in on OU since he committed a year ago and Lebby was why. I can’t see him throw that away. If he does my opinion of him would change.

If Bama has any backbome they hire Cale Gundy. Now he would be a great pick and salvage his reputation. I don’t think he would take it but that would be the one. (And I don’t think they offer either).
Last edited by OU Guy on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RussC

Post by RussC »

I believe you are correct about Lebby. I hope so.
#Team Turnipseed
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Remember that time Saban was screaming at OC Lane Kiffin on the sidelines during a game…… who wants that….