Week 4 Pick'em Games - Week 3 Results

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
EMan

Week 4 Pick'em Games - Week 3 Results

Post by EMan »

Why are so many people enamored with college football? I mean, it’s so predictable and boring. The same teams, every Saturday, rolling to victory, ad infinitum. Never any close calls or big upsets. Take this past Saturday for example. No upsets, no close calls. In fact, practically no struggles at all. Right out of the box, Florida St. romped to victory over Boston Col… wait, FSU hung on by the skin of their teeth, 31-29, thanks to a face mask penalty on BC after a third down stop late in the game? OK, that was obviously an outlier. I mean, Bama got their act together and rolled… wait, Bama was tied 3-3 with USF late into the 3rd quarter? And looked bad doing it? Hmmm… Well, we all know the Horns hammered Wyoming in Austin. Just another cakewalk down Sixth St. What? Texas* didn’t take the lead until the 4th quarter? Well, at least Coach Prime’s trendy Buffs blew out non-Power Five in-state rival Colorado St. before a raucous home crowd in his home debut. Wait, they won in double OT? And had to have a 98-yd drive plus a two-point conversion in final 2:06 just to get to OT? OK, OK, maybe there were a few struggles here and there, but no upsets. Oh really? How about BYU holding Arkansas scoreless the last 27 minutes of their game in Fayetteville to rally from a 10-pt deficit and win, 38-31? Vanderbilt tied their game with UNLV with 1:26 left on the clock, then proceeded to intercept a pass and eventually set up for a potential game winning 33-yd FG with 44 seconds left. But the kick went wide right, which allowed UNLV to drive the field and connect on a 36-yd FG of their own with 5 seconds left to win 40-37. And then there was South Alabama bulldozing OSU, 33-7. And Ohio taking down Iowa St., 10-7. Did you miss Miami(OH) beating Cincinnati in OT? How about FCS school Sacramento St. beating Stanford, 30-23 after trailing at one point 14-3? Want a close finish? Missouri kicked a game-winning 61-yd FG as time expired to beat Kansas St., 30-27. Hmmm… maybe I need to rethink my original premise…. This game may have potential after all…

Of course, over in our Pick’em contest, wild rides and photo finishes are nothing out of the ordinary, and this week was no exception. In a down-to-the-wire fight for our Week 3 bragging rights pippen nosed out runner-up OU-Native by a single point to lay claim to this week’s Pick’em King of the Hill! Well done, pip! It was a very tough week indeed as you and Native were the only two players to claim 15 wins. Everyone else was at home licking their wounds! Enjoy your turn in the Pick’em penthouse! The stay may potentially be brief, but it’s always exhilarating! Meanwhile, rounding out our Top Five this week, we find White River in third, with IMAsooner and soonerTroll2 tying for fifth.

As far as our overall regular season standings go, we have a new leader in the clubhouse as IMAsooner has claimed the pole position heading into Week 4. Following IMA we have White River in second, Wishbone in third, and MHSooner and OU-Native tied for fifth. We’re only just now coming out of the first turn so there’s plenty of time to make your move before our leaders start to pull away. You can see all the year-to-date standings by clicking HERE.

OK, so let’s turn the page to Week 4 and our next round of teasers. Deadline for submittals this week will be 11 AM, Saturday, September 23rd. You can access this week’s games by clicking on the “EMan’s Pick’em Contest” button at the top of the board, or by clicking HERE. This week our lineup includes:

Colorado @ Oregon
Arkansas @ LSU
Texas* @ Baylor
Iowa @ Penn St.
Oklahoma @ Cincinnati
Minnesota @ Northwestern
BYU @ Kansas
Auburn @ Texas A&M
Mississippi @ Alabama
Central Florida @ Kansas St.
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh
SMU @ TCU
UCLA @ Utah
Miss St. @ South Carolina
Texas Tech @ West Virginia
Tulsa @ Northern Illinois
Ohio St. @ Notre Dame
Oklahoma St. @ Iowa St.
Oregon St. @ Washington St.
Florida St. @ Clemson

Once again, remember to make sure you get your picks in by 11 AM on Saturday, September 23rd. As a reminder, you can always go back before the deadline and change any pick you’ve made. Just use the “Review Pick” button on the Pick’em page to edit your selections. Good luck! And good pickin’!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
Fly

Post by Fly »

Great read E-man, I was shaking my head this morning, may I say late this morning after staying up watching that Colorado game😤
Everyone knows how much I love Prime Time! But I must give it up to them. But yes, after looking over my picks, trying to figure
how I picked so bad this week, I just threw up my hands??? 🫣🙄 Maybe this week I may put the teams on a dart board & take what
I hit. :eyes:

🪰Fly :BV: :ou: :surrender:
OU-Native

Post by OU-Native »

I am truly convinced that the less thought I put into my weekly picks the better I will do. I was in a hotel room in Maryland when I finally made my picks and it took about 3 minutes. And it helped that some nail biters actually went my way. But the outhouse is just as close as next week, as we all know.
pippen

Post by pippen »

I guess I picked fewer upsets than usual this week.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

pippen wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:11 am I guess I picked fewer upsets than usual this week.
Congrats!!!! That was a really hard week! The teams that pulled upsets, I wanted to pick a few of them but just couldn’t pull the trigger. You did a great job of slicing and dicing up the field.
In Brent I Trust :D
pippen

Post by pippen »

I usually pick way more upsets than I should and also let my emotions get in the way, which is why I'm rarely in the running. I changed to Iowa State at the last minute, thinking i was going to far with the upsets. Should have gone with emotions on that and the Oklahoma State game too. I don't like Cyclones or Aggies!!! That's what I get for being logical this week, though usually the result is the opposite.
Echo

Post by Echo »

Congratulations Pippen...wicked week of Pick'em. Eman makes it hard every week.
IMAsooner

Post by IMAsooner »

I love your weekly summation. Great job and well written analysis! We don't thank you enough! Thank you!
Love OU — Live by GRACE!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...good job, pippen!!!

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
EMan

Post by EMan »

Don't forget to get your picks in for this week.
EMan

Post by EMan »

Just a reminder to get your picks in for this week. Here's who's in so far...

Aries
Bixby_Sooner
Blue
Bronco
bvillesooner2
Charliedontsurf
Chiefs16
cushcreekmont
Echo
EMan
Fiascosdad
Fly
formulaS
IMAsooner
KySooner
MHSooner
Oklahombre
OldTimer
OU Chinaman
OU Guy
OU_Tom2
OUcharlie
poh302
SD-OU
Sooner LockJaw
Sooner42
Soonerator
SoonerLynx
SwampSooner
TheComedian
Triple Option
walt
White River
WishBone
EMan

Post by EMan »

Just a few more hours to get your picks in for this week. If you're not on the list below, you're not in yet...

Aries
Bixby_Sooner
Blue
Bronco
bvillesooner2
Charliedontsurf
Chiefs16
cushcreekmont
Echo
EMan
Fiascosdad
Fly
formulaS
gcruse7
IMAsooner
KySooner
MHSooner
Oklahombre
OldTimer
OU Chinaman
OU Guy
OU_Tom2
OUcharlie
OU-Native
pippen
poh302
SD-OU
Sooner LockJaw
Sooner42
Soonerator
SoonerLynx
soonerTroll2
SwampSooner
TheComedian
Triple Option
walt
White River
whitefeather
WishBone