Was not pretty but a win.

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
RussC

Post by RussC »

Bottom post of the previous page:

captnop wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:53 pm
Fly wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:06 pm As Captnop said we were trying to adjust the defense on the fly. When I first started watching I thought this happens a lot. We will
adjust as we always do. They were moving defensive player all around.I don,t know enough to say what they did to throw us off
on defense that bad but it worked. But it took us till late in the third Quarter to get it right. But once we got it down we stopped
them. I don,t have the stat,s but I know most of there offense productivity was in the first half. Again we stopped our self time &
time again with pent-ally’s . I never felt we were in danger of losing.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
I thought I read somewhere that they had 40 total yards in the 4th.
I double checked and it was worse:

At the start of the 4th OU had the ball, drove down and missed a chip shot FG.

BYU had only two drives in the 4th quarter, totalling 8 yards of offensive futility.

BYU drive: 12:17 to go: BYU took over on their 20, STUTSMAN sack+ fumble ended that drive. (5 yards.)

OU drive capped off by Sawchuck manly TD run.

BYU 7:57 to go: started at their 25. Punted from their 28. (3 yards.)
#Mentally In Portal
Three5s!

Post by Three5s! »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:02 pm
Gandalf wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:49 pm Did the altitude have anything to do with our play today? I am likely looking for excuses but maybe that had some impact.
Yes and no. It did but in first half it shouldn’t have. The field, now that was an issie in first half. Our D could not get grip on line push nor other players could be aggressive lest they fall and give up big play. I think traction hurt us more due to how aggressive our D plays and that was equalized.

The altitude is definitely a factor for the whole game. Maybe not for everyone, but for many of us, it just takes days to acclimate, not hours or a half of a game. I ran a marathon in NYC and then a few weeks later had severe altitude illness in the mountains in Colorado skiing. I was in the best shape of my life. The ER doc said that they saw a lot of people in good to great shape contract altitude illness,in part because they have a low heart rate, which makes it harder to adjust to the altitude.

When I saw Bowman gagging, I immediately suspected altitude. It is hard to describe how it hits you, but is like not being in good shape and trying to run sprints.
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:23 pm ...I'm just curious Horsefly. You're a regular here during the season...
Yet, I notice you have only "thanked" for a post 1 Time. :dude:
So, you've only read 1 post you agreed with, thought was insightful, or enjoyed???

Or is there some other reason you don't thank anyone? :cool:
Again not a criticism, I''ve known you a long time and I'm curious.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Ha I'm guilty of this as well. Took me a long time to figure out which one was the Thanks button, and I'm way more technically literate than Fly, lol.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

I see a lot of great posts but I just keep reading and forget to hit the thank button. I think most all the posts are good so I would be hitting the thanks button all the time!
walt

Post by walt »

soonerindallas wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:49 pm I really like Arnold, but we really need to get Gabriel back for TCU. They are playing well, and I just don't think we can beat them with Arnold starting.
We all have different opinions on these decisions, so I hope you don't think I am being critical of your above post. We would be good if Dillion could play on Friday, and the same with Arnold. I watched the whole video and thought that Arnold would be good on Friday, assuming he gets the call due to Dillion's health. It is most likely that the TCU game will be his last game as a Sooner. After his first series, it looks to me that Arnold made good decisions and made them fast. I don't recall Arnold hesitating to make decisions. This is just me from watching the game twice and the fourth quarter three times.

One of the issues with Dillion is that he often fails to make decisions quickly, putting his team in a third down with extra yards to move the chains.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
Fly

Post by Fly »

Geno my ole friend I,m no different, there are so many things i over look on these computers. You & I grew up in a different world
& just not adapted yet I guess. :confusedplus: 🙄

Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:23 pm ...I'm just curious Horsefly. You're a regular here during the season...
Yet, I notice you have only "thanked" for a post 1 Time. :dude:
So, you've only read 1 post you agreed with, thought was insightful, or enjoyed???

Or is there some other reason you don't thank anyone? :cool:
Again not a criticism, I''ve known you a long time and I'm curious.

I've mentioned this before...this site is not user-friendly when it comes to "liking" a post. I just timed myself on a" like" I gave and it took 14 seconds to hit the button, wait for a download and then backspacing to get back to the thread I was reading. No way I can use the feature during game threads or if I have several threads I want to read.

I use a home laptop, not the phone, so I'm not sure if it's the same. I belong to Rivals, Corner, LT's and Secrant to name a few and you can hit the like button and no download or backspacing. It instantly shows I approved the message and I keep on reading.

I'm not complaining, just explaining..... :D
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

TOO MANY GOOD POSTS! I agree. I wish they had an "Always On" ThumbsUp button and then just let me click on the ones I don't like......as you can see, there aren't many of those in my mind.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:56 am Check this out. And he’s had no real snaps this year. Poised in pocket! And threw to where wr would be too. I watched a lot of his last year HS games and he has the it factor. Once he gets timing and snaps he will be deadly. Some will say Stogner was open too and he was however behind the chains, but it was 3rd down and he threw past the chains to get the first.

Great audible, footwork, poise in the pocket, & throw by JA. All the accolades everybody else has been giving him.

BUT...

If he continues to settle after stepping up in the pocket & continues to draw the safeties onto Farooq, he had Stogner coming WIDE open on the wheel route. That will come with time & experience, but just a little coaching point for him in the film room... ;)
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Brisket wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:55 pm
OU Guy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:56 am Check this out. And he’s had no real snaps this year. Poised in pocket! And threw to where wr would be too. I watched a lot of his last year HS games and he has the it factor. Once he gets timing and snaps he will be deadly. Some will say Stogner was open too and he was however behind the chains, but it was 3rd down and he threw past the chains to get the first.

Great audible, footwork, poise in the pocket, & throw by JA. All the accolades everybody else has been giving him.

BUT...

If he continues to settle after stepping up in the pocket & continues to draw the safeties onto Farooq, he had Stogner coming WIDE open on the wheel route. That will come with time & experience, but just a little coaching point for him in the film room... ;)
No, thats what makes this play better! Stogner was only 7 yards deep on 3rd and 13. Only Farooq had a chance to get the first down with a perfect throw to keep him moving with a chance. At worst he comes up just short and we have 4th and 1 or 2. Stogner is slow as a turtle and had 0 chance at the 1st down.

I’ve mentioned this a few times but people only see Stogner open and assume thats the right play. Our QB has a winner mentality and made the best choice to move the chains, not the safe choice. Thats what I want in a QB.
In Brent I Trust :D
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

OU Guy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:38 pm

BUT...

No, thats what makes this play better! Stogner was only 7 yards deep on 3rd and 13. Only Farooq had a chance to get the first down with a perfect throw to keep him moving with a chance. At worst he comes up just short and we have 4th and 1 or 2. Stogner is slow as a turtle and had 0 chance at the 1st down.

I’ve mentioned this a few times but people only see Stogner open and assume thats the right play. Our QB has a winner mentality and made the best choice to move the chains, not the safe choice. Thats what I want in a QB.
Again, it was a great audible & throw. Definitely took some steel cajones to make the audible & then execute it. No question.

But I think you're looking at Stoops, who started the play in the right slot & came left in pre-snap motion. It looks like he was running a wheel route, but broke it off & was only at 7 yards. Stogner started in the right slot & ran an out-and-up/wheel route. He is streaking down the sideline at the top of the screen with no one anywhere close to him when JA released the ball.

Again - great audible & throw by JA. A bigger issue is - why was Stogner on the field for that play? Like you said, he's slow, and isn't much of a threat in the pass game. Wouldn't Gibson be a bigger threat & better option?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Edit: OK, I just relaized this is not the JA to Farooq game winning throw. I got the wrong clip and confused them.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well then I won,t give you a thanks then.🤣🤪😝😜

OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

Brisket wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:42 pm

BUT...

Again, it was a great audible & throw. Definitely took some steel cajones to make the audible & then execute it. No question.

But I think you're looking at Stoops, who started the play in the right slot & came left in pre-snap motion. It looks like he was running a wheel route, but broke it off & was only at 7 yards. Stogner started in the right slot & ran an out-and-up/wheel route. He is streaking down the sideline at the top of the screen with no one anywhere close to him when JA released the ball.

Again - great audible & throw by JA. A bigger issue is - why was Stogner on the field for that play? Like you said, he's slow, and isn't much of a threat in the pass game. Wouldn't Gibson be a bigger threat & better option?

..I'm getting a kick out of you defending JA for even the slightest miscue he makes. :D

Think I understand now,...it's OK for you & anybody else to criticize someone you aren't particularly fond of (Gabriel)...but not OK for anybody to criticize a player you like & admire (JA).
Got it!

Moving on! :cool:

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Chinaman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:44 am
Brisket wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:42 pm

..I'm getting a kick out of you defending JA for even the slightest miscue he makes. :D

Think I understand now,...it's OK for you & anybody else to criticize someone you aren't particularly fond of (Gabriel)...but not OK for anybody to criticize a player you like & admire (JA).
Got it!

There are 2 plays. The one he made to Farooq was the best play due to down amd distance and situation (game sealing first down).

Then there was another play which is the one Brisket was talking about. I post on phone 100% of the time and had the 2 plays mixed up and finally relaized we were talking 2 different plays. I posted the wrong clip and applied the commemts to wrong clip (they applied to the final game winnimg first down instead).

The play Brisket was talking about he is correct there is a better option. However, even making the lesser choice JA still made the pass. But film will sjow he had a better option for that pass.

I have no idea why you are making all these X vs Y statements. I mentioned in another thread and you never replied - JA and DG are at 2 completely different stages of their careers. When DG came in he was basically a seasoned vet matched up with his old OC again. My expectations were higher than if 2 years ago we had started a true freshman. I would grade a vet harder than a freshman 10 out of 10 times for any position.

The last true freshman QB to start a game for OU (not counting CW) was Cale Gundy in 1990. I expect some growing pains for Jackson.

Gabriel has come in and done an outstanding job. I hope he can start Friday because of how much he’s done for OU under difficult circumstances. He has nothing but my utmost respect. Based on what some teams are starting in NFL, he shoukd be able to latch onto a team and be drafted middle to later rounds. And I hope he does go and make it and does great.

Jackson on the other hand is our future. And having watched most of his senior year highlights this kid is cool under pressure. I think he will do great. He can make any pass but has 2 key things. He is calm under pressure and has no happy feet. And he can make the long pass. DG was not able to make the long pass most times it came up short and our wr came back for it or slowed down. And thats ok he was great in all other passes. He was a good runner too. Tough guy, got hard yards. Adding the long pass will help our offense, teams will play a bit more cautious not cheating up to the box. Its not downgradimg DG but showimg what more we will jave at our disposal. All OCs adapt to the qb and what they can do.

And lastly, I post a lot and say a lot. I have a lot of opinions. And because I post more than anyone else that means I’ll say way more things that others disagree with. I think that comes with the territory. I hope you don’t try and dog me all the years JA is QB. If so I’ll just ignore it lol. Love you like a brother and I had 4 of those and we fought all the time yet had each others back if others tried any funny business. I’m not a great or even good poster, just average and opinionated.

I’ll work on my opinions but no matter what position it is, if I say something good about one player then someone might take it as bad about another in the same position. I think thats whats happened here. Its impossible to not make some player look less good when praising others. And its all because I post too much. No hard feelings meant, love the posters here and the games we have in season and tbe great history too. I’ll be around to take all the bullets fired my way.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

..."I'll be around to take all the bullets fired my way."

ME TOO!

(After the texass Win, I stated clearly I was going to challenge anyone who took further shots at Gabriel. I had his back! (Same thing you say about JA.) But, I saw you & half a dozen others continue to point out his flaws, shortcomings and poor decisions. And that's fair enough. I've modified my position on the "chinamen's" derogatory comments about players and coaches. It's an open forum. Those who want to be critical and cynical have every right to do so. As I've said before, I'm no better or worse than any SOONER fan,...just a different kind. I prefer ballyhoo & homerism with a dose of panache for my beloved SOONER PROGRAM. Others seem to revel in insults and belittling their own players and team. Or they posit themselves as "entitled" to express their negativity. And they are. Just so you know OUG, I've been excited about JA since he committed. He might be one of the all time great OU QB's. At least I think he will. But, want you to understand if he stinks it up in a game, prepare yourself for some comments you won't like or understand. Maybe from me, since I've decided"if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! We're headed to the SEC, and I think there will likely be some tough games and tough comments from some of the ST members. Fairly confident none of them are gonna pull my chain, because I've decided to let them rant and vent.

But, if anybody wants a piece of me, I'm easy to provoke!
Throw down the gauntlet...and I'll pick it up!

You & I have been cross ways a few times when you first arrived as SVT. Got no problems with you personally. You've been a prolific and informative poster since you changed your handle and we moved to this new MB site.
I'm just an anachronism and curmudgeon.
LET'S BEAT THE HORNY TOADS AND CELEBRATE A 10-2 RECORD IN BRENT'S 2ND SEASON, REGARDLESS OF WHO PLAYS QB! :cool: