TCU & OU Fri Leadup Talk

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

TCU & OU Fri Leadup Talk

Post by OU Guy »

This is my worry with DG. He was out 2 games last year for concussion. I feel for him as he’s come in and salvaged a ravaged team when LiaR left. Wanted him to get that last home start in front of the fans and keep breaking records. Hoping he can clear protocol to play.

In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Upper body is much better than head which bodes well for Fri. I seen his head hit so wonder what it could be?

KJinSkiatook

Post by KJinSkiatook »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:00 pm Upper body is much better than head which bodes well for Fri. I seen his head hit so wonder what it could be?

Well technically the head is a part of the upper body, so BV isn’t lying. From the way he hit the ground it seems it could only be either head or neck, neither of which is ideal from a quick recovery standpoint.
Living the dream…
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Gabriel has one more year of eligibility left due to the Covid season...................he may not be leaving?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
RussC

Post by RussC »

WishBone wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:51 pm Gabriel has one more year of eligibility left due to the Covid season...................he may not be leaving?
Curious what your opinion is on this injury and its affect on DG’s stay/go decision
#Mentally In Portal
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:00 pm Upper body is much better than head which bodes well for Fri. I seen his head hit so wonder what it could be?

Personally, I think Venables had to say something like this "Venables says Dillon Gabriel has an “upper body injury” and thinks he will be back “pretty quick." if for no other reason than to plant some disinformation for TCU's benefit. Now the Horny Toads don't really know for sure who they have to prepare for. With limited film of JA but the knowledge he's for real and ready to go.....and then putting out "think he'll be back pretty quick" at the same time will divide up TCU preparation time on a very short week.
aka Crimson47
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Cool post I ran into:

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Wow!
Thanks for the post OU Guy!
aka Crimson47
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

You might notice we had ine all but 1 year during Bobs tenure and then during LiaR we went 2 years with zero. Now we are back in a big way.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

This was another great play by Jackson

StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Man, 1956 and 2000!!!!!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

If JA starts on Friday, here’s his stats from first game of year cleanup duty

OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...barring injury, Arnold's going to be great one. Dillon Gabriel is one of the reasons.
I'm as excited as anyone to see him take the wheel of the OKLAHOMA MACHINE.
Suspect he might "shock" me and the nation with his ability on Black Friday.
A lot of people, myself included, think he could well be the next Heisman winning qb at OU.
He has mostly been spared being thrown into the arena too quickly. (I remember Howard ruined freshman Eric Moore starting him ahead of McGee.)
He's been able to watch the rebuild of the team and culture and not placed in the SOONER pressure cooker before he was ready.
He's learned watching one of the Top 10 (stats wise) qb's in collegiate history.

But having said all that, if he goes out & throws 2 picks, maybe fumbles, or misses wide open wr's, and the TOADS beat us in the snake pit...well ?
Let me say it this way...No free pass! If he stubs his toe, I'm going to point it out.
Fully expect, can even predict the defense of any mistake he makes, "just a freshman" "he's young" " "Lebby didn't call the game he should have" "wasn't his fault because..." "he'll get better" and most will be at least partially correct.

Bobby Stoops arrived in Norman, OK and his mantra was "No Excuses!"
So, WOW me JA!
God knows I hope you do. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Not counting CW, Cale Gundy was the last true freshman to start a game for OU in 1990.

So if Jackson makes mistakes he will be vilified? I have no idea why anyone is making pre game proclamations that if he stubs his toe he’s a failure.

Give the guy some slack. He will make mistakes. He will turn the ball over. He is our future and no matter how he does Fri (if he starts) I’ll have his back.

I’m confident in him because he got to learn from a 5th year qb all year. And pick his brain. And compete against him all season at practice. And he came in early Jan class. And has the support of the fanbase.

I hope we don’t judge any of our true freshman in their first start harshly.

And yes, fans have been overly critical of Dillon. Partly because he’s played at OU in his 4th and 5th year and they had higher expectations with so much expreience. DG won us the tx game with that last drive. He’s steadied a ship taking in water when prior staff gutted offense headed out the door in wee hours. We all owe Diillon our gratitude. He’s been a warrier. He’s a great qb. But fans always talk more in detail about starters thats normal. Next year if JA stuggles then fans will be talking and complaining about him. But this Fri? He gets a hall pass from me.