Who Starts and Who Pitches today against Minnesota - OU Softball

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Who Starts and Who Pitches today against Minnesota - OU Softball

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Before I speculate on OU's lineup today, let's talk about Minnesota. As a team the Golden Gophers are 11-7. Their best wins are either UCF, Arizona State or California. They have lost to Georgia twice, GCU, Arizona State, Charlotte, Wichita State and Stanford. So there are good wins and losses to good teams. Probably only the GCU and Charlotte games are unexpected losses for Minnesota but both of those teams have surprised other teams in 2022.

Their offensive numbers are decent. They are hitting .287 for BA, .373 for OB% and .480 for Slug%. They have two good hitters. Espalin (DP) and DenHartog (CF). Espalin is hitting .373 with 7 doubles. DenHartog, who is frequently included in All-Star team discussions, is hitting an outstanding .414 with a .478 OB% and a .9154 Slug% with 9 HRs. these two will bat at the top of the lineup for Minnesota and should be considered dangerous hitters. They only have one other hitter higher than .300 with playing time. They have the second most HRs in the Big 10 with 23 on the season. They have scored an average of 4.77 runs per game in 2022.

In the circle the Golden Gophers revolve around Pease and Leavitt. They have thrown 117 innings of 121 innings so far this season. Both pitchers pitched in both games they played this weekend in Tulsa and Stillwater. Pease has a 3.71 ERA and Leavitt has a 3.91 ERA. Both give up more hits than IP and has some control issues and give up EBHs. Both pitchers can strike out a batter. I think Pease will start today for Minnesota, but probably both will pitch in the game.

My overall thought is that Minnesota should not be able to win the game today but today would be a 'signature' win today for Minnesota and the Big 10. So Oklahoma needs to be ready today to play their best against the Golden Gophers.

For the Sooners today, I expect that Coach Gasso will send out the 2022 Sooners ready to play today in the home opener.

I would expect the pitching circle to see the bottom of the cleats worn by freshman Jordyn Bahl to start the game. In a perfect world the other two very good pitchers, Trautwein and May will also pitch. I believe there will be a desire to show the home crowd the trio of pitchers that the team is built around for 2022. That may take a 6-inning game to do so, but if that is needed the OU pitching staff should be able to be effective against Minnesota for the win. The ERA for the Oklahoma pitchers is 0.64 through the first 15 games. Trautwein leads with a 0.30 ERA, May is second with a 0.64 ERA and Bahl follows with a 0.74 ERA. Each have throw more than 23 innings in the season. They need to respect Espalin and DenHartog, and pitch well against the as well as the other 7 Minnesota hitters to be successful today. They have done that well this season.

On offense the Sooner are hitting well. they have a .379 BA, .476 OB% and a .769 Slug% and scored an average of 9.13 runs/game. They have hit 40 HRs and walk more than they strike out. The offense is very good. Five hitters are hitting over .400, 2 more hit over .368. Five hitters have hit 4 or more HRs.

I think we might see one of two lineups today.

Lineup #1:
Alo DP
Jennings 2B
Hansen C
Johns 3B
Lyons SS
Snow LF
Elam or Green 1B
Boone RF
J Coleman CF

Lineup #2:
Alo DP
Jennings 2B
Hansen C
Johns 3B
Lyons SS
Snow 1B
Donihoo or Brito LF
Boone RF
J Coleman CF

Alo is hitting in the leadoff spot to increase her at bats and to prevent pitchers from pitching around her as Ms. Alo pursues #96 and the Career HR record (breaking Lauren Chamberlain's record). I think that is coupled with Boone and J Coleman batting 8th and 9th as a type of leadoff hitter lineup in front of Alo the second time Alo bats. Snow provides a bit of flexibility for the Sooners as she is hitting well and can play 1B and LF well. Currently the lineup is a choice between Elam or Green batting 7th or Donihoo or Brito batting 7th. Four choices.

The Sooners should win today in front of a sold out stadium on a brisk afternoon at Marita Hynes Field. I think history will be made today by Alo. That will pave the way to a homecoming trip to Hawaii later this week and perhaps the 100th HR of her career being hit in her home state.

Good luck to the Sooners today. Dress warm in layers and enjoy the game and the crowd.

Boomer Sooner!
RefriedBeans

Post by RefriedBeans »

Sooner Wire & several other sites are reporting that the tv broadcast will be delayed by one hour. Bummer!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

When I looked at that yesterday, I wondered. I set my recording to both 4 and 5 PM to make sure an get the game to be safe. BallySports channel.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

OU softball just tweeted Bally is now going to cover the game live, not delayed.

Still shows as delayed in my directv schedule, but I’ll be tuning in at 4 to be sure.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bundle up '56! :D

Hope our bats are hot though!
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Minnesota's line-up against OSU had 4 left handed hitters yesterday, so I'm going to guess Coach Gasso might probably start out with Bahl. I agree all three pitchers will see some time in the circle. I do have a question.....is the starting pitcher the only one that can come back in the game later on?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Yes, only the starting pitcher as entered on the lineup card can renter. With the Flex and DP, that can mean things get weird. But generally, yes.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks.
aka Crimson47
raven15

Post by raven15 »