Final OU Softball Game in Hawaii: No-Hitter and a 9-0 Win in 5 !

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Final OU Softball Game in Hawaii: No-Hitter and a 9-0 Win in 5 !

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the staff article about yesterday's final game in Hawaii.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/3/12 ... inale.aspx

I believe the Sooners return home today to Norman. I am very happy for the team and that this trip was possible for them and for Jocelyn Alo and her family.

- - -

About the game.

I think the starting lineup was a signal that the pressure or maybe the distraction is gone. I would not call the lineup a 'reward or a response' to anything however. I would just say that the lineup said to the team, 'Let's go play and have fun!" I think the ladies responded well to that message.

My thoughts:

- I was glad to see Nugent get a start at catcher. I think Nugent is a big part of the future for the Sooners. I was not too confident that she would get a start in 2022. But now she has and she delivered with a huge HR to straightaway CF in her first at bat as a starter in the 2nd inning.
- I was a little confused by the start in LF by Jordyn Bahl. I know that Bahl was a very good hitter at both the high school level and during summer ball in her career. But after watching her hit in fall ball and in a few at bats this season, my belief is that she is so anxious to hit the ball that she 'rarely' sees a pitch she will not offer a swing. Her enthusiasm to contribute to this team in every way is refreshing, but she needs to progress as a hitter and swing at strikes. I think she saw two pitches yesterday and swung at both. One was low and outside and one was out of the strike zone high. Bahl is a great athlete. But for now, she needs a great deal of 'live hitting' in game situations to be ready to start at a position. Maybe she does well in practice, but it did not show yesterday.
- Brito is being given every chance to become a starter as she found herself starting at 3B yesterday. Brito has started in LF, RF, SS and 3B this year. She has also played 1B. She needs to start to hit to keep earning that chance.
- Elam is a very valuable backup at Catcher and perhaps at 1B. Elam made a very nice play at 1B on a low throw from Lyons yesterday in the 2nd inning. Elam filled in nicely Friday and Saturday for Hansen behind the plate. Elam was 4 for 11 with 2 HRs and 3 RBIs during the weekend in her 4 starts. Elam's play makes it possible to give Hansen the 'weekend off'.
- Boone is continuing to get on base and hit well in the 9th spot in the lineup. She may be solidifying herself into the starting RF's job.
- The Sooners almost made it through the weekend without an error. In the bottom of the 4th, a ground ball was hit to the SS side of second base. Lyons moved on the ball very well and was there to field it. The ball took an 'up' hot just before Lyons fielded the ball. It really was off her left arm or the heel of her glove at least it bounced so high. It was a 'tough' error to be issued by the scorer but that is what was ruled. BUT - Lyons made a great play on a ball earlier on a play up the middle where she got a line drive one-hopper and threw the runner out at first from behind 2B. That play opened the bottom of the second inning. Lyons also added a 3-run HR to CF in the 4th inning. Her hitting streak is now at 17 games.
- Alo, on the day after the record, went 2 for 2 with an RBI, RS and a walk. Just another day at the office.
- Snow recovered from her illness to enter the game in the top of the 4th to pinch-hit for Elam and play 1B. She made the most of it by cranking a HR to LF in back-to-back HRs with Lyons. Snow is playing very well.
- I am looking forward to J Coleman and Jennings getting hot at the plate once again. They are both playing well but they are both below .400 and could use a good streak at the plate. I know, they have spoiled me.
- The 5-inning run-rule victory was the 16th by the Sooners in their 20 wins.
- May and Bahl tossed a neat No-Hitter in the game. May pitched 3.0 innings and allowed a walk and a HB with 3 Ks. May got the win. Bahl pitched the last two innings and allowed nothing but 4 Ks. It is the 4th no-hitter thrown by OU this season in 20 games. Two were 'team shutouts'.

The next action for the Sooners is the Hall of Fame Tourney in OKC on Friday thru Sunday. Two games are scheduled for Friday. Right now the weather looks like rain on Thursday thru Friday morning early. Stay tuned to the weather and twitter about Friday. Two games are scheduled for Saturday and one game is on Sunday for the Sooners.

The Sooners at 20-0 is the only unbeaten team in college softball with LSU defeating Alabama yesterday twice. The combination of the Sooners outstanding pitching in 2022 and their very good offense is proving to be very effective and successful.

Boomer Sooner!