As enjoyable as last night was...

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
BixSooner

As enjoyable as last night was...

Post by BixSooner »

This isn't the best thing to happen for the sport. Channels were changing all over the place as that game turned into a glorified OU exhibition game. The greatest team in softball, playing an overmatched, unranked team for the championship?

Honestly, it wouldn't shock me tonight, if the following happens:
1) Another sound victory (OU by 5+)
2) Tight game.
3) Whorns force a game 3.

You never know, that's why they play the game.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Totally agree! It is, after all, a heated rivalry in which both teams are capable of springing the upset. If OU wins, of course, it wouldn't be an upset, but for certain UT could conceivably force Game 3.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

It may or may not have hurt the sport (I don't think it did), but it did wonders for PG's future recruiting. She'll have a (longer) waiting list of portal entries and recruits wanting to play for her, than ever before.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I am probably the least knowledgable person about softball on this board but I disagree. It may not help the sport but anytime you can face plant the Horns on national TV, you have to do it. No matter what sport it is.

I think it is in the Constitution of something. :D :horns: :hornsburning:
You shall not pass
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

What hurt the sport the most is the other "highly ranked" teams choked in their regionals. Alabama, Florida State in particular would have most definitely fought OU harder having the WCWS experience and the weapons to make the series extremely interesting. Not sure about VaTech, but any of those teams making it to the WCWS would have caused a much tighter competition. Credit Texas all the way and I just love their fight. But the scheduling and gruel of the WCWS means that teams get worn down and elite pitchers sometimes become average from fatigue.

I wouldn't be surprised right now if Texas takes the approach, that hey, we are super awesome to have gotten here and really exceeded expectations and totally happy to just have made it here. Meaning tonight's game probably won't have a lot of fight from Texas if they get down early. They haven't been here before and made major improvement just to get here.

Whereas you throw Alabama or Florida State in there and they would fight and claw because they have done it before and would believe that they could do it again.
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:50 pm I am probably the least knowledgable person about softball on this board but I disagree. It may not help the sport but anytime you can face plant the Horns on national TV, you have to do it. No matter what sport it is.

I think it is in the Constitution of something. :D :horns: :hornsburning:
Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (912.83 KiB) Viewed 622 times
EMan

Post by EMan »

I’ve never been one to count my chickens before they hatch. Softball/baseball is a crazy sport where it’s not at all unusual for the best team to get beat. But I can’t help but feel we’re watching something historic happening in real time, right before our eyes. Something that will always be remembered and discussed at every WCWS going forward. I’ve followed college softball for over 20 years and the show OU is putting on right now is unprecedented. Even Patty said last night that as insane as it sounds, just like everyone else, she also expects Alo to hit a HR every time up.

But it’s not just Alo. You say, why would anyone pitch to her? She’s batting an absurd .519 on the season with 34 hammers and 85 RBIs. Because waiting on deck is a .400 hitter with 29 HRs. And behind her is a.400 hitter with 22 jacks. And behind her… rinse, repeat. You can pitch around her, except you can’t!

I plan to take this in as a moment in time that will always be brought up when the discussion turns to the best player or team in the history of the sport. And I’ll be able to say I saw it. And if by some incredible turn of fate Texas rights the ship, well, I guess this will still be talked about forever in the history of the sport. I’ll hope the Sooners remain a team of destiny and I’m able to say I saw it happen.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

About last night that I thought was funny. Since tx was burning theough pitchers and Alo had burned them - she got hit by a pitch.

In my mind I was laughing thinking what the pitcher was thinking:

“If I’m going to walk her why waste any extra pitches I’ll just hit her on pitch 1 and move on”

No idea why it crissed my mind but it did.
In Brent I Trust :D
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:10 pm
...I wouldn't be surprised right now if Texas* takes the approach, that hey, we are super awesome to have gotten here and really exceeded expectations and totally happy to just have made it here. Meaning tonight's game probably won't have a lot of fight from Texas* if they get down early. They haven't been here before and made major improvement just to get here...
I agree about their attitude. It appeared to me that they fought back after the first inning, but when the bombs got delivered and they put pitcher No. 4 in, the look on most faces was resignation and/or wait until tomorrow. I think if we jump on them hard in the first couple of innings, they will get that oh boy, here we go again look and then it's a matter of getting to the end of the 7th inning.

I know :ou: will be ready, I just don't know if the :hornsburning: will.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

EMan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:19 pm I’ve never been one to count my chickens before they hatch. Softball/baseball is a crazy sport where it’s not at all unusual for the best team to get beat. But I can’t help but feel we’re watching something historic happening in real time, right before our eyes. Something that will always be remembered and discussed at every WCWS going forward. I’ve followed college softball for over 20 years and the show OU is putting on right now is unprecedented. Even Patty said last night that as insane as it sounds, just like everyone else, she also expects Alo to hit a HR every time up.

But it’s not just Alo. You say, why would anyone pitch to her? She’s batting an absurd .519 on the season with 34 hammers and 85 RBIs. Because waiting on deck is a .400 hitter with 29 HRs. And behind her is a.400 hitter with 22 jacks. And behind her… rinse, repeat. You can pitch around her, except you can’t!

I plan to take this in as a moment in time that will always be brought up when the discussion turns to the best player or team in the history of the sport. And I’ll be able to say I saw it. And if by some incredible turn of fate Texas* rights the ship, well, I guess this will still be talked about forever in the history of the sport. I’ll hope the Sooners remain a team of destiny and I’m able to say I saw it happen.
The chickens have hatched. This team is definitely a great one and one for the history books
::rice2:: :dude: