Team USA v Japan All Stars Series - Game #1 / #2 / #3

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Team USA v Japan All Stars Series - Game #1 / #2 / #3

Post by OUBeliever56A »

"Powered by Narrative Science and GameChanger Media. Copyright 2022. All rights reserved." Any reuse or republication of this story must include the preceding attribution.

In Walk-Off, USA Women's National Team Loses To Japan

It came down to the last play, but USA Women's National Team was on the wrong end of a 2-1 defeat to Japan on Saturday. The game was tied at one with Japan batting in the bottom of the seventh when Megan Faraimo induced Haruka Agatsuma to hit into a fielder's choice, but one run scored.

The pitching was strong on both sides. Japan pitchers struck out 13, while USA Women's National Team sat down three.

In the second inning, USA Women's National Team got their offense started when Miu Goto's wild pitch allowed one run to score for USA Women's National Team.
Japan evened things up at one in the bottom of the fourth inning. Nodoka Harada hit a solo homer.

Goto led the Japan to victory on the rubber. Goto allowed five hits and one run over seven innings, striking out 13 and walking zero.

Faraimo took the loss for USA Women's National Team. The bulldog went one inning, allowing one run on one hit, striking out one and walking zero.

Ally Carda started the game for USA Women's National Team. The hurler lasted three and two-thirds innings, allowing three hits and one run while striking out two and walking zero
Grace Lyons went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead USA Women's National Team in hits. USA Women's National Team didn't commit a single error in the field. Sydney Mckinney had nine chances in the field, the most on the team.

Kyoko Ishikawa led Japan with three hits in three at bats. Japan didn't commit a single error in the field. Agatsuma had the most chances in the field with 14.

- - - -

The lineup for Team USA was:

Malloy LF - 1 for 3, single, SB, 2 Ks
Jennings 2B - 0 for 2, SAC,
Klingler 3B - 0 for 2 HBP, K (Hit Line Drive for an out to 3B with runners on 1st and 2nd for the 3rd out in the 3rd.
Brady CF - 1 for 3, single, SB, 2 Ks (1 looking)
Hansen C - 0 for 3, SB - One CS on defense throwing out runners trying to steal 2B.
Palacious EH - 0 for 2, 2 Ks
Defensive Sub: Carda 1B - 0 for 1, K
McKinney 1B - 0 for 2, 2 Ks
Defensive Sub: Faraimo P - 0 for 1, K
Lyons SS - 2 for 3, 2 singles
Kowalik RF - 1 for 3, single, 2 Ks (1 looking)

I believe, the only player that did not play was Jefferson. 'EDIT: The remaining player was Jada Cody (UCF - 3B, C, 1B). Thanks to 'oufanforever'.

Pitching .........IP......#P....H.... R.......ER....SO...BB....HR
Ally Carda 3.2 40 3 1 1 2 0 1
Kelly Maxwell 1.1 20 0 0 0 0 1 0
Kathryn Sandercock 0.1 16 2 0 0 0 1 0
Megan Faraimo 1.0 18 1 1 1 1 0 0
Totals....... 6.1 94 6 2 2 3 2 1

Here are my takes:

Infield - With Lyons, Jennings, McKinney, Jefferson and Klingler on the team. The lineup with Klingler at 3B and McKinney at 1B seems a little strange. I have not seen Klingler play too much at 3B, but it is hard to believe that putting McKinney at 3B and Klingler at 3B is not a better defense than the way Coach Tarr choose.

In the bottom of the 7th, Japan opened with a triple to RF. I have no idea if Kowalik being in RF had an affect on the play, But maybe a veteran OF could have helped instead of a traditional C (albeit a very fast and athletic C) being in RF.

The game ended with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. A ball was hit or bunted back to Faraimo and the resulted was that the runner scored on the play from P to C. I do not know if the play was close, or anything. Just reading the summary and looking at the stats. If the play was close, it seems that would have been noted.

Sandercock was brought in to pitch to open the 6th inning with the score tied 1-1. She allowed a single, a sacrifice bunt, a single leaving runners on 1st and 3rd. Then a walk loaded the bases. Faraimo was brought in to relieve at that point. She got the first batter to ground out to Lyons who threw home for the force out. Faraimo then struck out the next hitter for the 3rd out of the inning. Carda pitched the first 3.2 IP. Then Maxwell was brought in to pitch and pitched 1.1 innings of perfect ball including a double play, 6-4-3 (Lyons to Jennings to McKinney).

Sometime in the bottom of the 6th inning, probably when Faraimo was brought in to relieve Sandercock, Carda was also inserted at 1B for McKinney in Palacious spot in the batting order. At the same time, Faraimo entered the lineup as a hitter taking McKinney's place in the batting order. That played out in the top of the 7th when Carda and Faraimo hit and both struck out with Jefferson on the bench and not used.

The removal of Maxwell for Sandercock caused a chain reaction of player choices that did not work out very well when Sandercock was not effective, IMO.

Lyons batting 8th in this lineup seems a strange to me also. 8th??? There is no player on the team that had 23 HRs but Ms. Lyons. There is no player other than Klingler with 24 on the team that had 23 HRs but Ms. Lyons. (Hansen had 24 in 2021.)

I wonder about Coach Tarr.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Can you share a bit about Kowalik and Malloy? Not as familar with them. Thx
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Malloy is a very good player for Tennessee. She plays CF there. She hits for a high average, has good power and can run and steal. She covers lot of ground in CF but she does not have a strong arm. I actually was hoping so would consider transferring to OU this summer. But she would have to play LF at OU with Coleman in CF.

Kowalik is the regular Catcher for Kentucky. She hits for a high average and has decent power with lots of speed and steals. She did play OF in a early version (I think the Canada Cup_ of Team USA this summer.

Both are all-star piayers, but I am not sure Kowalik is an OF''er. But there is not really anyone else on the team that is an OF. An oversight in my eyes. I guess whatever kept Jayda Coleman from going to Japan caught Team USA off-guard.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Replacing Coleman is just something I can't get my head wrapped around. What was Tarr thinking anyway?
One thing though....I glad Tarr is doing that and NOT Coach Gasso. That must really take you away from your college coaching duties. I've read a lot of Washington posters dismayed about being passive in the transfer portal this year. I'm sure she''s been distracted from other coaching duties at Washington as well.
Thanks for the info on Kowalik and Malloy. Guess we played against both of them last year, I had just forgotten.
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:58 pm Replacing Coleman is just something I can't get my head wrapped around. What was Tarr thinking anyway?
One thing though....I glad Tarr is doing that and NOT Coach Gasso. That must really take you away from your college coaching duties. I've read a lot of Washington posters dismayed about being passive in the transfer portal this year. I'm sure she''s been distracted from other coaching duties at Washington as well.
Thanks for the info on Kowalik and Malloy. Guess we played against both of them last year, I had just forgotten.
Nobody replaced Coleman is the problem. When they announced the Lyons addition to the team there were 15 roster spots (https://soonersports.com/news/2022/7/21 ... oster.aspx). Whatever happened with Coleman had to be a very late scratch that they couldn't even call up a replacement or the roster space just got reduced from 15 to 14.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Why is Jocelyn Alo not on the USA team?
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

BudaSooner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:41 pm Why is Jocelyn Alo not on the USA team?
That is one of the 'why questions' that probably needs to be asked. Team USA had 3 events during this summer. Alo was announced to be on 1 of those teams. The Canada Cup Series in late June. She was not on the World Games roster or the Japan All-Series roster. Each event had a different roster this summer. I think that was to be more inclusive and to also let some younger players also get to represent their country.

In the Canada Cup series, Alo played in 7 of the 9 games with these stats.

7 G, 13 for 22 (.591 BA) with 10 RS, 12 RBIs, 3 W (.640 OB%), 1 K, 3 doubles, 1 triple and 4 HRs including 1 Grand Slam. She played in LF the first game and then was the EH the other 6 games.

Due to a scheduling conflict ( I think the ESPYs banquet ) she was not able to play the last to 'medal games' of the tourney. Team USA did win the Cup however despite being beaten by T. C. Colorado (a group of US college players) during the play.

Who knows if there was some 'issues' around Alo not playing all 9 games or not.

But Team USA is playing 1 player short in Japan due to Coleman not playing at the last minute, if I have read all the tea leaves correctly. (I have no details as to why.) so there was a spot open for someone. She has jerseys to play in....call her Coach Tarr. But nope.

There are many things flawed about the Team USA process and team selections. Most series of questions could start with an 'Alo question' as an opener IMO.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

"Powered by Narrative Science and GameChanger Media. Copyright 2022. All rights reserved." Any reuse or republication of this story must include the preceding attribution.

USA Women's National Team Takes Victory Against Japan In Pitcher's Duel

Both teams were strong in the circle Saturday, but USA Women's National Team defeated Japan 3-2. USA Women's National Team pitchers allowed just six hits to Japan.

Megan Faraimo led the USA Women's National Team to victory on the rubber. The bulldog allowed five hits and two runs over six innings, striking out four and walking zero. Ally Carda threw one inning in relief out of the bullpen.

Misaki Katsumata started the game for Japan. The bulldog surrendered three runs on eight hits over six innings, striking out two and walking one.

USA Women's National Team smacked one home run on the day. Baylee Klingler went for the long ball in the fifth inning.

Maya Brady led USA Women's National Team with two hits in three at bats. USA Women's National Team didn't commit a single error in the field. Carda had the most chances in the field with seven.

Yui Sakamoto went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead Japan in hits. Japan was sure-handed and didn't commit a single error. Minori Naito made the most plays with seven.

- - -

Here was the lineup for the game:

Malloy CF - 1 for 3
Jennings 2B - 1 for 3
Klingler 3B - 1 for 3, HR, RS, 3 RBIS
Hansen C - 0 for 3
Lyons SS - 1 for 2, 1 W
Brady LF - 2 for 3, 1 K
Carda 1B - 0 for 2, 1 K
sub: McKinney 1B - 0 for 1
Cody EH - 1 for 3, 1 RS
Kowalik RF - 1 for 2, 1 RS, 1 Double
Faraimo SP - 6 IP, 89 pitches, 5 hits, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 Ks. 1 HR allowed
Carda RP - 1 IP, 16 pitches, 1 hit, 1 K

Klingler came up big with 2 outs in the 5th with a 3 run HR after Cody led of the inning with a single and Kowalik doubled to put runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Faraimo was unable to finish the game however. After a strong outing through 6 innings, (only allowing 3 singles) Japan opened the 7th with a single and a 2-run HR against Faraimo to make the game a 3-2 in favor of Team USA. Carda was able to enter the game in relief, to preserve the Team USA victory with a 'save' effort.

Lyons was moved up to the 5th spot in the lineup after batting 8th in the first game. (Someone had a good thought.)

The final game and the 'rubber game' of the 3 game series is Monday at 5 AM CST.

Good luck to Team USA tomorrow
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Another question would be how are coaches selected. I know they have gone to more of a “permanent” coach in international play (coach K for basketball, as an example), but why isn’t Gasso (and other great college coaches) part of an assistant coach rotation?

I agree that USA softball has some issues with how they select players and coaches. And the nature of the international game (low-fly balls, truly elite pitching and 15 player rosters) makes versatile players more valuable than great hitters that struggle defensively.

I think Alo is always going to have trouble making international rosters until she demonstrates the ability to play a defensive position. I know this is an unpopular opinion among diehard OU fans (which I am, unequivocally), but I think it is reality. I don’t agree with this philosophy, but I understand it. Jocy would be on my softball team if I was coaching.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

USA Women's National Team Pitches Well, But Can't Find Enough Runs In Loss To Japan

Both teams were strong in the circle on Monday, but Japan was just a little bit stronger at the plate in a victory over USA Women's National Team on Monday. Kelly Maxwell started the game for USA Women's National Team and recorded 14 outs.

USA Women's National Team lost despite out-hitting Japan three to two.

One bright spot for USA Women's National Team was a single by Maya Brady in the fifth inning.

Miu Goto pitched Japan to victory. The bulldog went seven innings, allowing zero runs on three hits, striking out 11 and walking zero.

Megan Faraimo took the loss for USA Women's National Team. Faraimo lasted one and one-third innings, allowing one hit and one run while striking out two and walking zero.

Maxwell started the game for USA Women's National Team. The pitcher lasted four and two-thirds innings, allowing one hit and zero runs while striking out four
Ally Carda, Brady, and Jada Cody all had one hit to lead USA Women's National Team.

Japan was sure-handed in the field and didn't commit a single error. Haruka Agatsuma had the most chances in the field with 12.

- - - - -

Here was the Team USA Lineup for Game 3:

Malloy CF - 0 for 3, 2 Ks
Jennings 2B - 0 for 3, 1 K
Klingler 3B - 0 for 3, 1 K
Hansen C - 0 for 3, 1 K
Lyons SS - 0 for 2, HBP, SB, 2 Ks
Brady LF - 1 for 2, single, 1 K
Sub PH - Palacious - 0 for 1, 1 K
Cody RF to EH - 1 for 2
Carda 1B - 1 for 2, 1 K
Kowalik EH to RF - 0 for 2, 1 K
Maxwell SP - 4.2 IP, 1 hit (single) 2 W and 4 Ks
Faraimo RP - 1.1 IP, 1 hit (triple), 1 R, 0 ER, 2 Ks. - LOSS

Both pitching staffs pitched very well through 4 innings. Maxwell for Team USA, started and pitched 4.2 innings allowing one single in the 2nd inning and 2 walks with 4 Ks. After Maxwell walked a batter with 2 outs in the bottom of the 5th, Team USA replaced Maxwell with Faraimo. Faraimo retired her first hitter on a ground ball to 2B.

Japan's pitcher, Goto, allowed nothing to Team USA through 4 innings as she piled up 7 Ks against 1 HB (Lyons). In the top of the 5th, Team USA strung 3 straight singles by Brady, Cody and Carda. On Card's single to CF, Brady was thrown out at home plate for the 2nd out of the inning by Japan's CF Harada. Team USA's threat ended on a ground out for the final out of the inning.

After Goto once again set down Team USA 1, 2, 3, in the top of the 6th, Japan finally broke the 0-0 time ball game. Lead-off hitter Harada for Japan pounded a triple to CF. Faraimo toughened herself and struck out the next two Japan hitters. With two outs and Harada still stranded at 3B, Faraimo got the clean-up hitter to hit a ground ball to 3B. (I have no idea what type of contact this was, a bunt, a scorching one-hop skidder or what.) On the ground ball, Klingler was given an error that allowed the first and only run of the game to score. The next hitter again hit the ball to 3B with Klingler making the play this time.

In the top of the 7th, Goto remained very strong. After a ground out to 1B, Goto recorded two straight Ks to end the game. Japan won 1-0 over Team USA.

The win gave Japan the series two games to one with all three games being a 1-run game.

This ends the Team USA schedule for 2022. As a team they were 13-4 for the summer. They lost 3 games to Japan and one game to T.C. Colorado during the summer. Team USA did win the Canada Cup and the World Games in a final game win over Japan.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

One sentence speaks volumes about the problem with international softball (paraphrasing):

“The bright spot for USA was a single by…”. When a single in a game with 3 hits total is the highlight, you have a problem.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

One bright spot for USA Women's National Team was a single by Maya Brady in the fifth inning.

The one bright spot was a single? Really?

wow.....
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:06 am One sentence speaks volumes about the problem with international softball (paraphrasing):

“The bright spot for USA was a single by…”. When a single in a game with 3 hits total is the highlight, you have a problem.
Sorry....TN
Didn't see your post before I shot mine out there...
Seems we think alike though...
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Jinx! You owe me a Coke.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

:handsup:
aka Crimson47