Good Move by the NCAA

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
raven15

Good Move by the NCAA

Post by raven15 »

Will be interesting to see if we try it this fall.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I would actually like to see the double or safety base added to D1 softball rules of play. It eliminates potential for serious injury, even if it is a small amount of safety added. It also will help to move the runner towards the running lane as they approach 1B.

I really do not see any downside in doing so. They only time that the safety bag adds a downside is on 'dropped' third strikes that go to the backstop with the throw being on the outside of the bag. But on those plays the potential is already an issue so it adds nothing. I am not sure of the rules on that play. I do not know if the 1st baseman can use the orange bag or not to receive the throw. If the 1B can, then the play is the same with nothing added.

Foe now, using the double base when both teams agree, is a step forward. I can not see many teams saying no to using the double-base.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

The picture included in the OP is misleading, isn't it? It appears to be a single base and my belief is that a double first base is two bases of official size located at first base with one in the playing field and one in the foul area. This would make the batter run to the foul side of the baseline when running to first. I will assume that my belief is correct, is the runner aloud to touch the in-field base? On the other hand, can the defensive player use the base not in the field of play to their advantage?
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

AllSooner wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:47 pm The picture included in the OP is misleading, isn't it? It appears to be a single base and my belief is that a double first base is two bases of official size located at first base with one in the playing field and one in the foul area. This would make the batter run to the foul side of the baseline when running to first. I will assume that my belief is correct, is the runner aloud to touch the in-field base? On the other hand, can the defensive player use the base not in the field of play to their advantage?
Thank you for posting those questions.....I've been having trouble wrapping my mind around this double base thing. When I saw the photo, I started wondering if the "double base" was really just "double size" and straddled the baseline.
Still not sure what to think about this. I get that it's supposed to minimize injuries and collisions, and of course that's a good thing. Glad you posed your questions....maybe someone can enlighten us.
aka Crimson47
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:05 pm I would actually like to see the double or safety base added to D1 softball rules of play. It eliminates potential for serious injury, even if it is a small amount of safety added. It also will help to move the runner towards the running lane as they approach 1B.

I really do not see any downside in doing so. They only time that the safety bag adds a downside is on 'dropped' third strikes that go to the backstop with the throw being on the outside of the bag. But on those plays the potential is already an issue so it adds nothing. I am not sure of the rules on that play. I do not know if the 1st baseman can use the orange bag or not to receive the throw. If the 1B can, then the play is the same with nothing added.

Foe now, using the double base when both teams agree, is a step forward. I can not see many teams saying no to using the double-base.
In the event of a drop third strike, and the ball goes towards the first base dugout, the first baseman is supposed to stand on the “outside” base (rather than the “normal” base, for the force out. The runner is required to run through the “normal” base if they see the first baseman on the outside base.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

BixSooner wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:52 pm
OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:05 pm I would actually like to see the double or safety base added to D1 softball rules of play. It eliminates potential for serious injury, even if it is a small amount of safety added. It also will help to move the runner towards the running lane as they approach 1B.

In the event of a drop third strike, and the ball goes towards the first base dugout, the first baseman is supposed to stand on the “outside” base (rather than the “normal” base, for the force out. The runner is required to run through the “normal” base if they see the first baseman on the outside base.
That will definitely give the advantage to the defense. The battery has a full unobstructed throwing lane and the onus is on the batter to make the "right" move at the base. They should really make the defense play on the infield side and runner stays on the foul side. That at least would keep everybody playing the same way in any case.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

That will definitely give the advantage to the defense. The battery has a full unobstructed throwing lane and the onus is on the batter to make the "right" move at the base. They should really make the defense play on the infield side and runner stays on the foul side. That would give the batter at least a small "chance" of a bad throw. And it would keep everybody playing the same way, no matter the play.
[/quote]
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

AllSooner wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:05 pm

That will definitely give the advantage to the defense. The battery has a full unobstructed throwing lane and the onus is on the batter to make the "right" move at the base. They should really make the defense play on the infield side and runner stays on the foul side. That would give the batter at least a small "chance" of a bad throw. And it would keep everybody playing the same way, no matter the play.
[/quote]

In all my years watching travel ball, I’ve never seen it be an issue. The first baseman is standing on whichever corner of either base before the batter takes 2 step towards the base. And yes, it does help the defense in that the catcher has a clear lane to throw to. I’m seeing the 2 bases in Oklahoma high school play for the first time this year. If the ball is in the dirt on the pitch, and the ball doesn’t really go through one side or the other (or the catcher catches it after it hits the ground), the catcher can direct the first baseman to be on either bag. Again, it’s a “no-brainer” for the runner to know which bag to run through.
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

AllSooner wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:47 pm The picture included in the OP is misleading, isn't it? It appears to be a single base and my belief is that a double first base is two bases of official size located at first base with one in the playing field and one in the foul area. This would make the batter run to the foul side of the baseline when running to first. I will assume that my belief is correct, is the runner aloud to touch the in-field base? On the other hand, can the defensive player use the base not in the field of play to their advantage?
You are exactly right. The double base would be white (on the in play side of the line) and orange for the runner (foul side of the line). As far as the runner running in foul territory up the line, that may likely but not necessarily happen 100% of the time. The runner is not allowed to touch the (in play) white base if a double base is used and would be out, nor is the runner out if the fielder's foot is on the runner's (foul territory) orange base to complete the force out.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 am
You are exactly right. The double base would be white (on the in play side of the line) and orange for the runner (foul side of the line). As far as the runner running in foul territory up the line, that may likely but not necessarily happen 100% of the time. The runner is not allowed to touch the (in play) white base if a double base is used and would be out, nor is the runner out if the fielder's foot is on the runner's (foul territory) orange base to complete the force out.
Thank you....cleared up a lot of things.
aka Crimson47
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 am
Deserves more than a "thumbs up"......Thank You!