Battle Series-OU SB- Boomer 8-Sooner 0

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Battle Series-OU SB- Boomer 8-Sooner 0

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Over 1200 Sooner Softball Fans watched the first fall ball softball game for Oklahoma on Monday night win over Seminole State. On Wednesday night, over 1000 Sooner fans watched the first Oklahoma Intrasquad Battle Series game. It was a little weird as you really did not know who to yell for or how to support them because in doing so, you were always yelling 'against' the Sooners. In a uniform note for the Sooners, the gray softball pants worn by OU on Monday and Wednesday night has a 3/4 crimson stripe added to the side of the legs of the pants. It is subtle but it pops a little. I like the look much better than the plain gray pants.

The Teams:

Team Boomer (Gray Pants-Red Shirts):

Jennings 2B, Brito 3B, Sanders 1B, Lee C, Bahl LF, Nugent RF, Boone CF, Hodge SS, Deal SP, (Geurin RP)

Watching the team in the pregame infield drills, a softball junkie like me, can see many things that impress you. The infield/outfield drills are crisp and clean. There is no delay in balls being hit to the next player. The expectation is that the ball will be fielded and thrown properly on every play. For the most part, that what happens. My impressions follow.

Nugent is a very good athlete. Probably better than I had given her credit. she fielded the ball in RF moving right and left and showed a great, accurate arm throwing to bases. She could play RF and be good defensively.
Brito looks good at 3B defensively, nice quick arm throwing the ball.
Hodge can play defense at SS. She has range and a strong accurate arm.
Sanders moves well at 1B and is better than I thought she might be at 1B.
Boone is a fine CF. she made a nice diving catch on a ball off of Coach Gasso's Fungo in short LC.
Bahl can get to the ball playing in LF also. She had good instincts on fly balls and moves to where the ball is going well.
Jennings and Lee were strong as expected at 2B and C. Coach Gasso did impress on Lee the importance of throwing the ball to first base on the field side of the bag instead of i=on the foul side. There is always coaching going on.
Deal is an above average fielder in the circle. She moves well to the ball.

Team Sooner (Crimson pants-Gray Shirts):

Coleman CF, Lyons SS, Hansen C, Erickson 1B, Torres 3B, Lilio 2B, Green RF, Coor LF, May SP, Storako RP, Geurin RP

I might have not been fair to Green in my last post. She seems to have been working on playing the outfield. She made all the plays required during the drills. Her arm is not strong, but maybe she is not throwing hard unless she needs to.
Torres is also looking good at 3B. she looks like she has played there in the past. She looks comfortable.
Erickson has great footwork working on the bag at first base as she takes throws and stretches for the ball. Any coach of a young girl wanting to play 1B could take a video and have a great tool for coaching. She throws the ball well also.
Hansen, Coleman and Lyons just look smooth in drills. They are a pleasure to watch work at their trade.
Lilio looks good working at 2B. She knows the position and is comfortable playing there.
Coor roams the outfield well using her speed and arm to impress you. Her throws are straight over the top as they say an outfielder should throw.
May was in the bullpen warming up, but Storako and Geurin were included in the drills. Storako may need to work on her throws a bit. Geurin could be sharper in her fielding of the ball. But for both there are many practices in front of them for correction.

Team Sooner was the home team in the game.

May got through the top of the first with giving up a single to Sanders around three fly ball outs. Sanders single was a line drive rope that got over Coor's head and bounced of the LF wall before Coor took 2 or 3 steps. Green in RF, made a nice catch in shallow RC for the final out of the inning as she slide on her knees to catch the ball.

In the bottom of the first, Deal was in the circle for Team Boomer. Deal walked Coleman on four straight pitches to open the inning. Deal took a deep breath and rebounded with a strikeout against the next hitter on a called third strike. Hansen hit a hard single up the middle to move Coleman to 2B. Deal got Erickson to hit a looping liner to LF on a pitch away for the second out. The third out was another fly ball to LF by Torres.

Bahl led of the top of the 2nd with a single up the middle off of May. Bahl stole second before May got a strike out for the first out of the inning. Boone then hit another line drive rope over Coleman's head off the wall in CF to score Bahl as Boone slid into second for a double. May got Hodge and Jennings to ground out to Lyons at SS to end the inning. Boomer 1 - Sooner 0.

Deal had a 1, 2, 3 inning on a ground ball to 1B, a fly ball to RF and a ground ball to Hodge at SS.

Brito led off the top of the 3rd with a high fly ball to RF that Green spoiled with a nice catch against the wall and perhaps reaching above the fence to rob Brito of a HR. Yeah, Green is better than I thought in RF. After a strikeout for the 2nd out, May walked Lee on a close 3-2 count. On a pitch that May left in the hitting zone on the inside half of the plate, Bahl hit her first HR in a 'game' for the Sooners. Bahl planted one about 3/4th the way up in the LF bleachers. Bahl hit the ball well to plate 2 runs. Nugent followed with her own well hit ball as he took a pitch on the outside and rolled her wrist over to hit a looping line drive to LC. Coor got to the ball at full speed and got her glove on the ball but she could not keep it in her glove for a Nugent double. Geurin relieved May at this point in the 3rd inning. Boone laid down a nice bunt without a throw for a single moving Nugent to 3B. Geurin got the 3rd out of the inning as Hodge flew out to CF. Boomer 3 - Sooner 0.

May's pitching line - 2.2 IP, 5 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 1 walk, 2 Ks, allowed 2 doubles and 1 HR.

The bottom of the 3rd opened with two straight singles from Coleman and Lyons. After a fly out to RF with Coleman moving to 3B, Erickson hit a line drive between Sanders and the bag at first base. Sanders smartly reached to her left about shoulder/head high and made the catch for an easy 'catch and touch the bag' double play as Lyons was caught off first base.

Deal's pitching line - 3 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk and 1 K.

Erickson moved to catcher and Hansen moved to 1B to open the fourth. Storako also started in the circle in the top of the 4th. Storako quickly got the first two outs with a K for the 2nd out. After a Sanders single, Lee got enough of an inside pitch to hit a 2-run HR to left field that landed between the fence and LF bleachers. Storako got the 3rd out on a high swinging strikeout against Bahl. Boomer 5 - Sooner 0.

Nugent moved to catcher with Lee moving to LF. Bahl also entered the circle. Torres singled between 3B and SS to open the inning. I thought that Brito held up on the play thinking that Hodge would be there to make the play. The ground ball was probably a ball Brito should have played. After a fly ball out to CF and a walk issued to Green by Bahl, Coor grounded out to the first base side of the circle. Bahl fielded the ball and made the out at 1B with Torres moving to 3B and Green moving to 2B. Coleman then hit a looping liner to LC that was caught on the run by Lee in LF. It was a good catch by Lee with Boone close by.

Storako had 2 Ks in the top of the 5th around a walk to Boone. Boone also stole 2B. The inning ended on a major league popup to 3B.

After Bahl got two quick outs to open the bottom of the 5th on a K and a ground ball out to SS, Erickson hit a ball to the right of Jennings at 2B. Jennings got to the ball but it struck the end of Jennings' glove. Erickson was safe and awarded a single. The inning ended on a swinging bunt in front of the plate that Nugent fielded nicely and trough out Torres at 1B.

The top of the sixth saw Brito led off with a single. After a Sanders fly out to LF for the 2st out, Lee once again took Storako deep. This time to CF over the batters eye screen. Both HRs by Lee was on the first pitch by Storako. After a ground ball to 3B for an out, Nugent walked on a 3-2 pitch. Boone then singled up the middle on a ground ball that made it under Lyons' glove as the ball stayed down on the last hop as Lyons closed on the ball. Storako recovered to record a K for out #2 before another major league popup to 3B. Boomer 8 - Sooner 0.

Bahl had a 1, 2, 3 inning in the bottom of the 6th.

Storako got two quick outs in the top of the 7th on a popup to SS and a ground out to SS. At that point, Geurin was brought in to pitch for the second time for the Sooners. She got the 3rd out against Lee on a ground ball to 3B.

Storako's pitching line - 3.2 IP, 6 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned runs, 1 walk and 4 Ks and allowed 2 HRs.

In the bottom of the 7th, Bahl got the first two hitters on ground balls to SS and to herself in the circle. Geurin was then brought in to pitch for the Boomers for her third appearance of the game. On the eighth pitch of the at bat, Hansen walked against Geurin. Erickson then pulled a ball down the RF line on an inside pitch from Geurin to move Hansen to 3B. Geurin recorded the final out of the game on a fly ball to RF that Bahl caught.

Bahl's pitching line - 3.2 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 2 Ks.

Geurin's pitching line - 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs and 1 walk.

Final Score

Boomer 8 - Sooner 0

The Boomers were 12 for 33 in the game with the Sooners 6 for 26.

I thought Deal and Bahl pitched particularly well in the game. May and Storako had trouble with HRs allowed but both pithed well at times. Geurin was effective in her spot appearences.

Lee, Bahl and Boone were the hitting leaders of the game. I thought good defensive plays were made by Green, Lee and Nugent.

The next edition of the Battle Series in next Wednesday at 6 PM. I will be there with about a 1000 of my Sooner fans.

Here is the staff writers article about this weeks games.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/10/3 ... ll-central

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks for your comments and observations '56. As always they are a great read, and much appreciated.

I noticed in the FallBall Central link they have short descriptions of this weeks two games and also links to box scores for each game.
Boomer!
aka Crimson47
vegasjayok

Post by vegasjayok »

Keep it up guys, this is good stuff.

Vegasjayok
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:02 am Over 1200 Sooner Softball Fans watched the first fall ball softball game for Oklahoma on Monday night win over Seminole State. On Wednesday night, over 1000 Sooner fans watched the first Oklahoma Intrasquad Battle Series game. It was a little weird as you really did not know who to yell for or how to support them because in doing so, you were always yelling 'against' the Sooners. In a uniform note for the Sooners, the gray softball pants worn by OU on Monday and Wednesday night has a 3/4 crimson stripe added to the side of the legs of the pants. It is subtle but it pops a little. I like the look much better than the plain gray pants.

Boomer Sooner!
Thanks 56! As I read your report, I felt as though I was sitting in the stands watching the game!

Kudo's to you, My Man!
sybil

Post by sybil »

thanks for the report!!!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

This is how the points are awarded.

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

These are the point totals for the players from Game 1

https://soonersports.com/documents/2022 ... ek_One.pdf