Sooner Women's Basketball opens season today - 4 PM

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Women's Basketball opens season today - 4 PM

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Women's Basketball team pre-game article about the opening season game today at 4 PM vs Oral Roberts. The article is written by the staff writers.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/11/6 ... pen-season

I think the afternoon/evening events start at 3 PM at Lloyd Noble Center. The game can also be watched on ESPN+.

I am very excited about the Women's team this season. For me, the depth and the talent of the Coach Baranczyk's team could produce an entertaining, successful team to watch. Hopefully Kelbie Washington and Kaley Perkins can be healthy very soon to add to the players that can play. The team could score 90 points a game this year fairly easy. Llanusa looks healthy and ready to finish her career with Williams and Robertson leading the way.

Good luck to the Ladies today!

Boomer Sooner!
OURed

Post by OURed »

Women’s game at 4pm and Men’s game at 7pm
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I realized that I had not commented on the sooner Women's Basketball team's win on Monday aternoon.

The bottom line about the Women's win is this. The Sooners played great in the 1st quarter and led 38-17.

ORU then outscored OU 77-67 the three remaining quarters. With the talent on the Sooners team, that should never happen. Coach Baranczyk has to get the team to play against the concept of playing the game focused at all times. They can not play down to the opponent. For much of the game, OU was outhustled by ORU, especially in the paint and on the boards.

While scoring 105 points is very good, allowing is 94 points is worse than the 105 points scored is good. I remember watching the Lomega Raiders girls team coached by Keren Edgar in the 80's in the near NW metro area of the state. This was back in the 3-on-3 days of girls basketball in the state. Coach Edgar was very effective at teaching her players to play against the game and not the opponent. There was emphasis on things like scoring on every possession. Then after they scored, the forwards were pushed to get 20-25% turnovers against the guards before the ball got across the half court. The thought of "I.m open from 12 feet so I will shoot", was not the mindset. The mindset was to make one more pass to get the 5 foot shot. the same type of principals were true on the defensive end of the floor. The guards were not really happy if the other team missed a wide open shot and Lomega got the rebound. They played to get a steal or to make them take a bad shot under pressure every possession. They were so very consistent. They rarely took a possession off let alone a quarter.

The Sooner Women this year should win around 90% of their games they play this year. They need to win many of those games by a wide margin, not 11 points when scoring 105. The defensive effort and rebounding on defense was not where it needed to be by the team.

The playing rotation included 11 players. the minutes were well distributed with no one playing more than 25 minutes. But the Sooner 2nd-Five should have defeated ORU fairly easily. The Sooners are very deep at G and F this year, but are still a bit 'thin' at Center. I think that Scott will continue to start with Johnson and Culliton, both freshman, will get their minutes. Vann will fill the center role at times as well. But outside of the center position, the Sooners are a mix and match group of 8 players that can play, each in their own skill set.

I am hoping to see a better effort on defense on Friday morning against SMU. I am hoping to see less than the 15 turnovers that they had against ORU. I am hoping to see them allow less than 17 offensive rebounds on defense as well. I think Madi Williams and Skylar Vann need to focus on rebounding on the defensive end every trip down the floor. I think Reyna Scott (FR) can help with that also. Culliton (FR) can get a rebound as well.

SMU played well against TCU on Monday and almost won their game. They could be a tough opponent.

Good luck to the ladies on Friday morning.

Boomer Sooner!