Sooner Women BB Team hosts Kansas on Saturday @ 2PM @ LNC !

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Women BB Team hosts Kansas on Saturday @ 2PM @ LNC !

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Basketball Team returns to their home court on Saturday and plays Kansas at 2 PM in a DH-Day with the Men's Team who plays West Virginia at 11 AM in Lloyd Noble Center.

Oklahoma enters the game with Kansas with a 3-1 conference record and a 13-2 record overall. Kansas arrives in Norman with a 2-2 in the conference and 12-3 overall. Both teams are looking for a win on Saturday to prove their case for being among the top teams in the conference.

Here is the staff writers article about the home game against Kansas tomorrow.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/1/13 ... ay-at-home

Kansas plays 6 players primarily as they all play 24 minutes per game. A 7th player plays about 15 minutes.

Jackson C 6'6" averages 15.5 PPG and 12.3 rebounds with 44 blocks. She can find herself in foul trouble though at times. She could be trouble for OU inside tomorrow.
Kersgieter G 5'11" averages 15.4 PPG and 6.1 rebounds.
Franklin G 5'8" averages 14.5 PPG and 3.6 rebounds and is an assist leader.
Mayberry G 5'7" averages 9.7 PPG and 3.1 rebounds and is an assist leader.
Prater G 5'11" averages 8.3 PPG with 4.9 rebounds.
Chatzileonti F 6'3" averages 6.8 PPG and 5.7 rebounds.
7th player - Strom - G 6'0" averages 2.9 PPG and 1.9 rebounds. 15.5 minutes.
The remaining players for Kansas are all bigs 6'3" or taller.

Kansas will either start 4 G and a C or 3 G, a C and a F depending on the opponent. Chatzileonti F and Franklin or Prater G's will flip in and out of the lineup. It will be interesting to see what Kansas does tomorrow. I imagine when OU plays woman-to-woman defense that Llanusa will match up with Franklin and Williams will match up with Kersgieter or Chatzileonti. Liz Scott/Vann and the two freshman Culliton/Johnson will play against Jackson/Chatzileonti. That leaves Robertson and Tot to defend Mayberry and Prater and maybe Strom. I think the Sooners may play more zone defense tomorrow, especially when Kansas has the two bigs in the game. Tucker may have an expanded role tomorrow on defense due to the matchups.

Surprisingly, OU outrebounds Kansas and Kansas has more assist than OU. Turnovers and Steals are equal. Ou does shoot better (especially from 3-territory). I watched the Baylor at Kansas game and Kansas will play with pace especially when Jackson is off the court.

The game will come down to the play down deep in the lane. If OU can handle Kansas down low on defense and can stay out of foul trouble, I think OU will win with some ease if they play well and handle the ball. But Kansas does have three very good players. OU has what I would call 5 very good players and the 2 extra Sooners (Tot and Vann) need to play well tomorrow. If Liz Scott, a role player, plays well and can play close to 20 minutes, things go well for Oklahoma.

Here is to T-Rob to keep her consecutive game 3's streak going and to her closing the 6-bucket made three's gap between her and tying for career three's all time.

If OU can play well and win the game tomorrow they will remain in a tie for first place at 4-1. Baylor will likely win at WV but Iowa State and Texas also play. One of those teams will have a win pinned on them and drop out of the 1st place tie. OU should not let this one slip between their fingers. The better the seeding at the Big 12 tournament can led to an automatic big to the Big Show.

Good luck tomorrow to the Women.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Basketball Team got a win yesterday against a good Kansas team without shooting their best for 3 quarters as they found the distance in the 4th quarter and won going away from the Jayhawks by the score of 80-74. Oklahoma improved their Big 12 record to 4-1 and remained in a tie for 1st place in the conference with their overall record moving to 14-2. Kansas fell to 2-3 in the Big 12 conference and 12-4 overall.

Kansas shot the ball very well in the first period (11 for 22 - 50%) to take the lead 24-15 over the Sooners who shot 6 for 27 in the quarter for 22%. Oklahoma shot 2 for 14 in the 1st quarter from 3-pt territory also..

The 2nd Quarter was a little better for Oklahoma as they cut into the Kansas lead to trail 35-28 at the half. OU was 4 for 11 (36%) but still only 1 for 5 from downtown. Kansas also sot poorly in the 2nd quarter as they were 3 for 16 (19%). The poor shooting helped to keep OU in the game.

The Sooners improved their 3-point shooting and their # of shots in the 3rd quarter and rallied to tie the game by the end of the 3rd quarter when the score was 53-53. Oklahoma outscored the Jayhawks 25-18 in the 3Q to erase the Kansas lead. OU shot 4 for 8 from 3-pt territory and was 7 for 22 in the quarter.

OU saved their best for the 4th quarter as they shot 9 for 16 (56%) from the field and outscored Kansas 27 to 21 to win the game 80-74.

Oklahoma outscored Kansas 52 to 39 in the 2nd half to key the victory for the the Sooners after a 'sleepy' 1st half of play.

Here is the post game staff writers article about the Sooners win.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/1/14 ... -23-kansas

As the headline and story details, Liz Scott did have a very good game against Kansas. She scored 10 points and pulled down 15 rebounds nd 4 assists to lead the Sooners inside against the taller and more physical Jayhawks. Scott also stayed out of foul trouble for almost the entire game as she played what might be a season high of almost 26 minutes. Williams led the Sooners in scoring with 20 and added 9 rebounds. Llanusa scored 12 with 5 boards in a supportive effort. Robertson scored 10 points with 3 rebonds and 4 assists. Tot added 8 points with 7 assists and 7 rebounds. Four bench players added 20 points and 11 rebounds (Culliton 6, Vann 5, Joens 5 and Tucker 4 points. OU outrebounded Kansas 57 to 44 that included 22 offensive rebounds. Despite the rebound numbers, Kansas outscored OU in the paint though 42 to 30.

In the last few games the Sooners have used a very liberal substitution pattern in the 1st half using 11 players in the rotation in the first 20 minutes. In the second half the Sooners reduce the substitution to about 9 maybe 10 players. I don't think Johnson or R Scott played in the second half. Yesterday the five starters played at least 26 minutes each with Vann playing 18 as the sixth-player. Culliton as able to play a strong 7 1/2 minutes yesterday as she added some physical defense inside and good free throw shooting.

I see in the game information that the Sooners had 8,445 fans at the game on Saturday. There were alot of people who were wearing really effective camouflage at the game if that number is accurate. It was a good crowd but in no way was LNC '75%' full. The men's game against WV showed 7,756 people at the game. That migh tbe true, but there were ore people and cars at the Men's game than there were for the Women's.

Oklahoma (4-1) will be tied for 1st place in the Big 12 after Sunday's play with either Iowa State and Texas depending on who wins the their game today in Austin. Baylor also has a chance to be in that 1st play tie if they defeat West Virginia in Morgantown, WV today.

Oklahoma will travel to Ft. Worth on Wednesday to play TCU at 6:30 PM. The game will be on ESPN+.

Boomer Sooner!
EMan

Post by EMan »

I would assume that since OU let anyone that purchased a ticket for the men's game to stay for the women's game without having to buy another ticket, they included ALL the people that went to the first game in their total, even if they left. Since there's no way of knowing how many left, they just included everyone for statistical purposes. Looks good in the box score. :D
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

EMan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:48 pm I would assume that since OU let anyone that purchased a ticket for the men's game to stay for the women's game without having to buy another ticket, they included ALL the people that went to the first game in their total, even if they left. Since there's no way of knowing how many left, they just included everyone for statistical purposes. Looks good in the box score. :D
I thought it was probably something like that.