Oklahoma Women's Basketball host Texas Tech in Annual Pink Game

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Oklahoma Women's Basketball host Texas Tech in Annual Pink Game

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Basketball Team, now a half game behind Texas for first place, can move into a tie with Texas with a win over Texas Tech at home tonight in Lloyd Noble Center. The game is at 6 PM and will be on ESPN+. Chad McKee and Dan Hughes will call the action for ESPN, while Brian Brinkley handles play-by-play for the Sooner Radio Network. I believe the game can be picked on radio at 1400 KREF, but maybe it is also on 107.7 FM.

Here is the staff writers article about the game.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/2/14 ... -pink-game

My memory of the first game between OU and Tech in Lubbock is that Tech was not able to get up and down the court with OU but they did manage to comeback and make the game close in the end as the Sooners won by 10 points. But Tech can shoot the ball. If the Sooners can limit Tech's Scott, a guard, to under her 17 point average, Oklahoma should be on the way to a victory. But the Sooners have to watch the 3-point line and keep pressure on Tech's shooters and not give them open shots.

OU's defense has been better lately and that is a key to their success. Coach Baranczyk has shortened her bench and is playing only 9 players lately for the bulk of the game.

Tech is 1-5 in their last 6 games while Oklahoma has won 4 in-a-row.

Good luck tonight to the Sooners.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Wednesday Night at LNC for the Oklahoma Women's Basketball Team turned into the "Aubrey Joens' Show" as she lead the Sooners in 23 points and 11 rebounds last night. It was a good thing that no one told her to take a night off. Behind Joens' fine effort, the Sooners won 84-57 over the Texas Tech Red Raiders. If I was a Texas Tech fan, I might be worried that the Tech Coach is losing her players attention as they for the most part 'walked' through the night. I would say that #20 for Tech, Maupin, worked very hard last night for Tech and played well as she led Tech.

Here is the staff writers article about the Sooners win last night.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/2/15 ... texas-tech

For Oklahoma, the played a pretty good 1Q and took a 26-13 lead. The 2Q was not a strong effort though as the Sooners scored only 14 points to Tech's 9. OU led at halftime 40-22. In the second half, the Sooners outscored Tech 44-35 to produce the final score. The Sooners shot 49% from the field, 43% from 3-point territory and only 62.5% from the charity stripe with only 8 shots attempted. The Sooners 19 turnovers against an uninspired Tech defense was a bit troubling though. Madi Williams has had 7 turnovers in the last two games for the Sooners. Williams is a much better player than a player that has 14 turnovers in a two game period.

Oklahoma did total 27 assists on 34 made shots for a strong effort for assists. Culliton, a Center, led the Sooners with 10 assists last night while scoring 4 points. Tucker had 5 assists.

While, I do not intend to be too critical about last night's game, the Sooners were a bit uninspired in their play last night I thought. Besides Joens, I really did not think many Sooners played well in the game. Liz Scott scored 13 points on only 6 shots but she was in foul trouble all night and only played 10 minutes. Williams scored 12 points, but was 5 for 13 from the field. Tot scored 11 points and I would say she played fairly well last night. Llanusa got into some foul trouble also and only played 18 minutes as she scored 6. Robertson on 3 shots, scored 7 points, including 1 THREE to keep her consecutive game streak going. Vann scored 6 points on 10 shots but did have 10 rebounds.

Joens on the other hand, was 9 of 15 from the field with 5 of 9 shots made from 3-point territory. As mentioned above she pulled down 11 rebounds.

On a night where the Sooners moved into a tie with Texas for first place, the Sooners took care of business, but did not play that well despite the 27 point victory over Tech.

Oklahoma (11-3 in conference) plays at Kansas on Sunday at 2 PM (ESPN+). Kansas is 6-7 in the conference and seems to play much better in Lawrence than on the road lately. Kansas lost by two points to West Virginia on the road as they Jayhawks missed a shot in the paint in the last second that would have tied the ballgame. Kansas made a 6-point run to get to within on bucket to tie the game with about a minute left on the clock.

It was a win, as was the plan, but maybe a B-/C+ based upon their play last night. Joens got an A+ however.

Boomer Sooner!