Senior Night Tonight

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
MsProudSooner

Senior Night Tonight

Post by MsProudSooner »

If you live in the Norman area and can attend, please do so. In an era when players transfer at the drop of a hat, we get to celebrate Ana Llanusa, Madi Williams and Taylor Robertson who have been loyal to OU and each other through thick and thin. 6PM at the LNC!

White River

Post by White River »

The Sooner Women needed some Sooner Magic to get an overtime victory tonight over Kansas St. 90-86 on Senior Night. The Sooners led by as much as 22 in the first half before Kansas State cut into the lead trailing 29-45 at the half. The wildcats opened the second half with both improved defense and shooting quickly cutting the Sooner lead and then taking the lead in the final minutes of the 4th quarter. However, poor free throw shooting in the final minute kept the Sooners within striking distance. It looked almost hopeless for the Sooners with KState at the line shooting two with a two point lead with 5 seconds remaining in regulation. KState missed both free throws and the Sooners got the ball and a timeout with 4.7 on the clock. A made layup on a give and go inbound play sent the game to overtime where the Sooners outlasted the Wildcats for the win. A great salvage of the game to give the Sooner Seniors a victory in their final regular season home game.
KState vs OU.png
KState vs OU.png (46.63 KiB) Viewed 407 times
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

IF i HEARD AND RECALL CORRECTLY (HEY i'M 62) ONLY ANA ,MADI , AND TAYLOR WENT THRU SENIOR NIGHT .I WOULD TAKE THAT TO MEAN EVERYONE ELSE IS ELIGIBLE TO RETURN ?
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

btw I BURIED THE LEAD . HOW ABOUT THAT SENIOR nNGHT SOONER MAGIC ? THAT GAME WAS AWFULLY HARD ON THIS OLD Sooner .
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

waddy's ghost wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:40 pm IF i HEARD AND RECALL CORRECTLY (HEY i'M 62) ONLY ANA ,MADI , AND TAYLOR WENT THRU SENIOR NIGHT .I WOULD TAKE THAT TO MEAN EVERYONE ELSE IS ELIGIBLE TO RETURN ?
I think you are right about everyone else can return.

To me Skylar Vann is very important for next year along with Liz Scott. I do wonder if Kelbie Washington is going to come back to the team. She just has not been a 'part' of the team much of the season. Perkins and Verhulst have been there supporting the team every game since January.
EMan

Post by EMan »

Like you, waddy, we assumed since Liz didn't go through the Senior Night festivities she has already planned on coming back. If so, that really helps going into next season. But as we've all lamented numerous times on here, OU needs help on the inside! Jenny has to shore that area up.

Last night was about as frustrating a game as I've watched, although the Sooners did come out with the win. To blow a 30-8 lead at home (even if it was early in the game) was ridiculous. The turnover bug continues to plague this team, just as it did when Sherri was at the helm. I can't count how many times the Sooners had a bad turnover at a crucial part of the game. As noted above, if it hadn't been for KSU missing 3 of their last 4 free throws, OU was more than likely looking at a loss. But somehow they overcame those mistakes and took home the W. While exciting, I'd sure prefer to coast to a win than have to hang on by a thread at the end. But a win is a win, as the old expression goes. Hope they play better at OSU this weekend.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

OU fights off upset-minded Kansas State in OT

Eric Bailey Mar 1, 2023

NORMAN – Oklahoma’s Taylor Robertson wiped away a few tears shortly before the overtime portion of Wednesday night’s 90-86 win against Kansas State.

Did she have tears of joy or tears of relief? Why was OU’s star guard emotional before the critical part of the Big 12 contest?

“I was just happy that we got the game into overtime because obviously we didn’t want to lose,” Robertson said after the victory, a wide grin now displaying her emotional status. “It was a mix of happiness and also ‘all right, we got to lock back in and get ready to play.’”

The No. 16 Sooners celebrated Senior Night in thrilling style with the comeback win against the upset-minded Wildcats. OU built a 22-point lead early in the second quarter and then had to erase a four-point deficit with 28 seconds remaining to earn the triumph.

The game script ended with a joyous celebration highlighted by postgame comments from the three players who have spent either six years (Ana Llanusa) or five years (Madi Williams and Robertson) playing for the crimson-and-cream.

The game script ended with a joyous celebration highlighted by postgame comments from the three players who have spent either six years (Ana Llanusa) or five years (Madi Williams and Robertson) playing for the crimson-and-cream.

The game almost turned into a somber salute after Oklahoma blew an early 22-point second-quarter lead and had to find a way to overcome a four-point deficit in the final 28 seconds.

But this senior group helped find a way to leave the LNC with an important Big 12 victory.

Could this be their final game inside their home arena? There remains the possibility to host an NCAA Tournament regional if there is a positive outcome at OSU and a good showing in next week’s conference tournament in Kansas City.

Llanusa was asked last week about her team’s potential title run.

“It would mean a lot for the whole team, but all three of us especially. We’ve faced a lot of adversity together,” Llanusa said. “And I just think it’d be awesome to finish with that … we’ve been focusing on growing and each day being 1% better than we were the other day. I think if we focus on that, if it falls in our lap, that’d be great.”

The K-State game that seemed destined for a blowout early and developed into a late nail-biter for crimson-and-cream clad fans.

OU scored 19 unanswered points to take a 30-8 lead early in the second quarter, but had to weather a fierce K-State comeback led by a familiar face.

Gabby Gregory, a Holland Hall graduate, spent the past three seasons playing for the Sooners before transferring to Kansas State during the off-season. She scored all 16 of her points following halftime to help the visitors seize a 77-73 lead with 28 seconds in regulation.

Kansas State would miss three of four free throws from that point, opening the door for the Sooners.

The Sooners trailed 78-76 when Vann inbounded the ball to Madi Williams from the sideline. Williams returned the ball to Vann, who hit a driving layup with 1.4 seconds left to send the contest into overtime.

“There were multiple options (out of the play) and that was the first read,” Baranczyk said. “Skylar did a phenomenal job. It was a great pass. Our spacing was good.”

Even as the calendar tears off to March, there’s still teaching moments as OU heads into college basketball’s most important month.

“It’s good to have these kinds of games where you come back and you have to find a way to win and you have to find different ways to be able to do it,” the OU coach said. “And, at the same time, I think it’s a huge lesson to remember at halftime that it is 0-0.”

The Sooners led 45-29 at intermission.

“Hopefully we can learn from that,” Baranczyk said. “We were a little bit on our heels and a little too hopeful in the third quarter. We needed to do a much better job of being aggressive. They were the aggressor and we needed to be the aggressor.

“In order for us to continue to go and play as well as we were capable of playing, that’s a major lesson you’ve got to learn as we come out of this.”

Vann, who had six of the team’s dozen points in OT, finished with a team-high 23 points. Williams (19 points), Robertson (15), Liz Scott (11) and Llanusa ended in double figures.