So what's your OU/SoonerTimes story?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Grew up in a tiny town close to Miami, OK, so I knew Steve Owens Boulevard before I was old enough to know who Steve Owens actually was. My brother went to OU Med School, but is a total nerd and mostly unaware of football, but I was always into it at an early age.

I did my undergrad elsewhere but went to OU grad school during the Gibbs, Howie, Blake era. Rough times when you could park anywhere you wanted next to the stadium. I used to drive up from Dallas early, listen to WWLS as soon as I was in range, park on Lindsay by the Duck Pond, watch us play terribly and listen to WWLS all the way back to the state line. Moved back to OK in 98, was lucky enough to come across the Crimson Reign crew and enjoy that miracle 2000 season together.

I picked my username when I got my first email address, was shocked it was even available, and have somehow been the first to have this handle on most platforms. I don't remember when I first came across the Times, but I was a poster on several of the old boards back during the WeatherDudes era.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

JoeSooner wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:45 am Grew up in a tiny town close to Miami, OK, so I knew Steve Owens Boulevard before I was old enough to know who Steve Owens actually was. My brother went to OU Med School, but is a total nerd and mostly unaware of football, but I was always into it at an early age.

I did my undergrad elsewhere but went to OU grad school during the Gibbs, Howie, Blake era. Rough times when you could park anywhere you wanted next to the stadium. I used to drive up from Dallas early, listen to WWLS as soon as I was in range, park on Lindsay by the Duck Pond, watch us play terribly and listen to WWLS all the way back to the state line. Moved back to OK in 98, was lucky enough to come across the Crimson Reign crew and enjoy that miracle 2000 season together.

I picked my username when I got my first email address, was shocked it was even available, and have somehow been the first to have this handle on most platforms. I don't remember when I first came across the Times, but I was a poster on several of the old boards back during the WeatherDudes era.

...glad you're here, Joe! The Crimson Reign was a helluva good time, wasn't it? Miss it at times. Your impersonation of Curtis still makes me laugh when I think about it :cool:
That heady season of 2000 seems so long ago.
I want to see 3 more National Titles b4 I go to see the Big SOONER in the sky!
The wait for #8 continues.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

I was born a Cajun in south La. Moved here when I was 6 years old. Raised a Sooner my whole life & raised my kids the same. I have
Been a past member of the Swarm & met the crazy Chinaman in with that bunch. He & I became great friends ever since. We broke
Off with the Swarm & started the Crimson Reign. We met a great bunch of great Sooners there hello Joe Sooner glade hear you on
Here. Another Great friend I met from the form is the one & only Sooner Linx . Yes we have had so many Great times going & tailgating
All over this great country. We made great friends from fans of schools we played. We had many Bama fan come to our tail gate when
They played us in Norman. Then when Butter Fly & I went to Bama the following year there fans really welcomed us also. I could hardly
Walk by there tailgates with out being invited in & offered food & so on. Those times were some of the best in my life.

Fly :dillon:
minnysooner

Post by minnysooner »

My story’s a bit newer than most…thanks to some COVID flight credits and an insane StubHub deal in the club seats I made the trip down for the Western Carolina football game last season primarily as “I have the time off work, so let’s go check out one of the country’s biggest college football venues”. Suffice to say, the experience was even more than I bargained for as everybody was super nice and welcoming to me, and despite the heat/one sided game it was a great day. I probably got more excited than a grown man should seeing the Schooner in action in person.

Then came the season ticket push for this season, and admittedly despite not having the resources to make every game living in Minnesota (Thus the user name), you have to respect the hustle. The season tickets didn’t pan out, but a TD club membership is definitely on the table.

There’s more than football though; my wife’s a big college gymnastics fan (In fact, that’s how I framed the SEC move to her) so I’ve adopted rooting for the gymnastics teams as well.
SunCoastSooner

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I used to post on the old, old, old, old SoonerTimes board and I just stopped using message boards as frequently as life progressed but recently I was asked to upload an avatar (who still uses avatars anyway?) to an account where I still use the SCS moniker and was saddened to discover my old custom made SoonerTimes av was no longer with me and I happened to stumble upon this place in the process of searching for it out in the ether...

Third generation Sooner, one of my children will soon be a fourth. Grew up all over the world as a military brat but Kansas was/is back home. Lived in Florida for more than two decades now. My spouse is a Florida State Seminole, some her family are former Auburn athletes.

I pretty much watch anything OU, I enjoy most sports in general. My daughters have really been pushing more gymnastics and volleyball in recent years.
UtahSooner83

Post by UtahSooner83 »

Born & raised in SW & S. central Oklahoma. My parents met at OU. My dad was a walkon football player under Wilkinson. My older bro went to OU before me. I very well could’ve gone to Princeton or Stanford, but I never even considered them. My first OU football game was the 71 USC game in Norman, when I was in elementary school. I really became a super fan in 8th grade & never ever considered going anywhere else. I used to wear read pants and white collared shirts to games just like Switzer wore back in the 70s.

My undergrad years included both Billy Sims and Marcus Dupree. While getting my 2nd OU degree, went to the 85 season Orange Bowl & saw a National Championship won. Became a huge basketball fan under Billy. Was also a big wrestling fan, and my memories of that go back to our last national championship in that sport. Still pissed the program has fallen so far.

Even though we raised the kids in Denver, they both chose to be 3rd generation Sooners. My son even became Homecoming King. Hopefully there will be 4th generation Sooners and so on in the family tree.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Fly how did I get that name. Thanks to OU Geno when I was in the Swarm. We were a bunch of Sooner radio callers. I called in
one day pretending to be a OSU fan. I commented that since the Swarm represented the Sooner fan group calling in that we OSU
fans needed fan group also. I said I was going to start a Aggie group & name it the Horse Flys. Well OU Geno heard that call & started
calling me HorseFly. Latter it was cut to just Fly. After all these years some still call me Fly. I suppose it will in some way put on
my grave stone.Hummmmmmmm🪰😂🤣👏. Thank you OU Geno you ole fart😁

So many Great memories With the Swarm & Crimson Reign. Road trips, & tailgates & so many Sooner friends we made threw out
the years. Chinaman & I have kept our friendship threw all these years. I,m a blessed man, for & looking back on all the great
Sooner friendships I have had threw the years. Tailgate cookouts Marsha & I have had at our home & away. I would not change a
thing.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Short story on finding the site - hopped around looking for Sooner football and found it.

I recall OU losing in 1957. I was young enough not to fully understand, but didn't realize that OU could lose. I knew it was really bad because my older brother had tears in his eyes.

I went to OU in the late 60s, early 70s. While I was mostly a hippie, I studied film and got the highly prized job of filming OU football practices and games. I got back to enjoying football during that time. I will always thank OU football for that job and helping me pay some of my college costs!
texsa sucks!