Hall of Fame Softball Action - OU Dominates 30-0 in 2 Quick Wins

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Hall of Fame Softball Action - OU Dominates 30-0 in 2 Quick Wins

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The impressive Oklahoma Sooner Softball Team, rated #1 in the nation, overwhelmed Weber State and Auburn yesterday in Day 2 action at the Omni Hall of Fame softball action on Saturday. The Sooners first defeated Weber State 16-0 in a 5-inning run rule shutout in the 4 PM game. In the final game of the night, the Sooners defeated Auburn 14-0 in another 5-inning run-rule shutout win.

The Sooners scored in 7 of the eight innings they batted as they pounded out 29 hits in 56 at bats. They totalled 11 doubles and 5 HRs on the day with 8 walks and only 2 Ks with one SB. It was a very productive day for the Oklahoma hitters. Ther batting line for the day was .518 BA, .578 OB% and .982 Slug%.

The Oklahoma pitching was probably mor eimpresssive than the hitting was. The Sooner pitchers tossed 10.0 shutout innings while allowing 5 hits (1 double) with 2 walks and 17Ks. The Sooner pitchers threw 106 strikes out of their 158 pitches for a strike% of 67% for the day.

It was a very windy and cool day in OKC on Saturday. The wind did affect the game especially in the first game with Weber State where several ball hit high in the air prove to be difficult just not to catch, but to touch for Weber State.

13 of the 15 Sooners that batted had hits on Saturday. Hansen had the most hits with 5 while Lee and Brito added 5 hits. Brito lead with 4 runs scored while Coleman lead with 4 RBIs with 7 other Sooners had 3 RBIs (Jennings, Lee, Hansen, Torres, Lyons, Sanders and Nugent). 5 Sooners had HRs (Coleman, Jennings, Hansen, Lyons and Nugent).

In the circle, Storako pitched 3 shutout innings with 6 Ks and the WIN to open the Weber State game. Deal entered in the 4th inning and add two more shutout innings allowing a single and a walk with 2 Ks. Storako and Deal had four 1,2,3 innings of the five that they pitched. Bahl tossed her own 5-inning shutout against Auburn as she allowed 4 hits and 1 walk with 9 Ks for the WIN. Bahl had one 1,2,3 inning in her outing.

Considering the playing conditions on Saturday, the Sooners performed very well. It could very have been their best day of performance during the 2023 season, but that UCLA 14-0 rout is still very good also.

In the final game of the weekend, OU will play auburn once again at 2 PM today.

It looks like Nicole May will get the start in the circle for the Sooners with maybe Storako pitching in relief during the game. I think we may see Sanders start at 1B today with Torres in RF and maybe Nugent in LF against Auburn. I believe Hansen will start at C and Lee at DP. Up the middle it should be Hansen at C, Lyons at SS and Jennings at 2B and Coleman in CF Brito will be at 3B.

The Batting order may be:

Coleman CF
Lee DP
Jennings 2B
Hansen C
Brito 3B
Lyons SS
Torres RF
Sanders 1B
Nugent LF
Good luck to the Sooners today!

Boomer Sooner!
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

I was a little surprised that Nicole May didn't pitch today. Obviously with two strong performances by first Storako, then Bahl in relief, she wasn't needed... We saw her throwing to get warm once, but that was it.
Ah well, Nicole threw 108 pitches in the 2-1 squeaker over Northwestern, she deserved to rest up!
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

OU has landed a lot of great players over the last 5-8 years, including Jocelyn Alo as probably the most decorated in view of her long-ball prowess - - but Jayda Coleman, while she has been showing that she can go yard, too - may be the second most valuable recruit in that time period.

Jayda is amazing! She has started so many rallies with either getting on base via walk, bunt, scratch single - - or, as she showed yesterday, breaking up a tight game with a leadoff single, setting up the go-ahead run as Tiare brought her home with a sac fly.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
EMan

Post by EMan »

We should also mention Jayda is an elite fielding CF as well. She's the complete package. A great hitter, fielder, speed, leader... well, you get the idea.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I think Jadya might be the hottest Sooner at the moment

I am not even sure that I can list all of the great recruits in the last 8 years without missing a few - Jennings, Romero, Alo, Jayda, Bahl, Shay, Hansen, Lyons, ...

Maybe we should have a poll?

I think Jennings will get my top recruit vote but everyone has their favorite. Or maybe Romero is the top recruit 🤔
::rice2:: :dude: