Jayda- error or planned?

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TN Sooner

Jayda- error or planned?

Post by TN Sooner »

Sounds like we’re going to have to hear from Jayda. For my money - 100% she planned this.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I'm in your camp TN, but let's say a fortunate error. It did drop to her left side though for an easy retrieve and throw, plus everybody was in the right place for everything to happen like it did.

It was a thing of beauty though!
Last edited by TropicalSooner on Tue May 09, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Crimson47
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

She has continuously shown her mastery of the game each week, and not just her physical skill. She flouts her mental game with her base running. If by planning, you mean, split second planning by seeing what’s right in front of her? So planned.
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

I've watched the video several times and I'm not seeing a double play. Jayda dropped the ball and threw it to 2nd, who was not standing on the bag, and she threw it to 3rd, who tagged the runner out. Obviously the tagged runner is out, but where is the other out?
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
White River

Post by White River »

gcruse7 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:28 pm I've watched the video several times and I'm not seeing a double play. Jayda dropped the ball and threw it to 2nd, who was not standing on the bag, and she threw it to 3rd, who tagged the runner out. Obviously the tagged runner is out, but where is the other out?
gcruse7
I saw exactly the same thing and said so during the game thread. Since the OSU coaches didn't challenge and the stadium didn't erupt, I assumed the bag was touched but the switch on camera angles didn't pick it up on the television feed. Had the play happened the way it appeared on TV I have to believe it would have been contested and would have been a point of contention by the 2000 OSU fans in attendance. It's either that or everyone from OSU was ready to surrender and go to the house at that point.
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

To protect Jayda I believe it was a fortuitous error that went well.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

gcruse7 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:28 pm I've watched the video several times and I'm not seeing a double play. Jayda dropped the ball and threw it to 2nd, who was not standing on the bag, and she threw it to 3rd, who tagged the runner out. Obviously the tagged runner is out, but where is the other out?
Here is the center field camera view, you can clearly see Lyons's foot on 2B when she caught the ball (around 6 second in the video). It is a clean force-out at 2B and tag out at 3B double play. That said, I think this was an error on Coleman. Too risky for a bad bounce off the glove for you to get 0 outs in the situation.

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

VNSooner wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:40 pm To protect Jayda I believe it was a fortuitous error that went well.
VN.....I can accept your take on this and I amend my previous thought. I don't want to say anything that would be an issue for her or the team.
But it really was a thing of beauty how everyone was perfectly lined up for her fortuitous error.
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Jayda responds. Sort of…

TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I’m confused - why is there worry about “protecting Jayda” or getting her in trouble?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I'm betcha she made an actual goof, but had the experience, training and moxie to quickly react, and all is well.(it didn't look particularly intentional, and one can't be certain where a muffed ball is going to land, or bounce/roll)
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

Something to chew on if you don’t believe what she did was intentional. Jayda has never had a case of the dropsies (Or is my memory that bad?). The one time she does drop one, was as simple a catch as could be, and, right in front of her, was a situation that they had to make a rule to help out the base runners, if that ball was hit a little shallower (infield fly). She knew, immediately, the runners on first and second were dead meat. The runner on second could not be further than 5 feet from the bag, or she risked getting doubled off. I’m willing to bet, that isn’t the first time she’s done that (or at least, seen it happen).
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

She has shown great awareness on other plays when she has tried to deek an opponent on a shallow liner that she knows she isn't able to get to. I think she is savvy enough and nervy enough to do this, but it just looked to me like she was startled for an instant when the ball popped out of her glove.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I'm confused. Is there a rule that covers a player intentionally dropping a ball to do what Jada did? The only one I know that is even close is the "Infield Fly Rule". But if there is a rule on a Jada-type play, then it stands to reason that a player should also be required to correct an umpire's call if they know it is wrong.....example: the umpire calls a player safe, but the player knows she was out. Softball isn't golf. I say if Jada was clever enuff to pull off that play, power to her. If she did attempt a purposeful drop and it goes wrong, all she gets is an error and a lot of "what happened" responses.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

So you're telling me one of, if not THE, best defensive outfielders in college softball, who has not made an error since her true freshman season (according to soonerports.com), drops a routine lazy flyball hit directly to her. AND she controls the drop to bounce right in front of her. AND she calmly & immediately throws to 2nd to start the 2x play. AND it just happens to occur in a situation where a drop would create a relatively easy double play & get the team out of an inning??? That's NOT intentional?

And count me amongst those questioning the need to "protect" Jayda. Don't get it at all. It was an incredibly heads up play & the entire team was aware & prepared to be where they needed to be to force the 2x play.