Sooner Starter Against Stanford

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
White River

Sooner Starter Against Stanford

Post by White River »

So who gets the start for the Sooners on Thursday against Stanford? I'm predicting Alex Storako gets the ball to open the game with either May or Deal waiting in relief depending on how the game goes. Stanford is not a team that hits many home runs in fact they don't put up many extra base hits at all. While their pitching is strong, it should be an opportunity to give Jordy some extra rest. In addition, it provides another opportunity for Alex to return to form. I know over the next few days there will be several knowledgeable posters breakdown and size up the upcoming games for the WCWS, but I was interested in your thoughts about who opens the series for the Sooners.
TALSOONER

Post by TALSOONER »

Against Stanford in Feb:
-------------------IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HBP IBB AB BF FO GO NP
Storako, Alex (W, 1-0) 5.2 -3 -1 -1 -1 -6 -0 -0 -0 -0 -17 -19 -5 -4 -78

Stanford didn't pitch their 2 best pitchers in against us in Feb, nor did we.
Win and we get a day off.

I think Bahl gets the start.
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

If Storako does start, she needs to use change of speed and drop more. With 1 ball, two strike count I hope we don't see the ball come over the plate. Both Storako and May have been guilty of this lately. Pitch calling needs to improve in these situations.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

I agree with Talsooner. With the change in the WCWS schedule, rain days throughout, I think Jordy will start not just this one but as many as feasibly possible. Then our other three pitchers fitting in for a game or relief here or there.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: I think Bahl gets the call also since the Sooners would get Saturday off to get rested before we likely face Tennessee. I think many people would say Tennessee is the second best team at the CWS or right there with Florida State. We diffinately want Jordy available for game 2. Hopefully we will put Stanford away early and be able to put in another pitcher. Even though we run ruled Stanford at the Mark Campbell Classic, Stanford is playing much better we will most likely face their ace freshman pitcher.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I would agree that Jordy would be easy go-to, but I think there is something to be said for always being able to bring her off the bench also. Heck, as well as Kirsten Deal (sp) handled the pressure, I might just throw caution to the wind and start her on Thursday. I don't think enough is being said with what an amazing job she did (after the first 4 pitches) as a Freshman in such a horrible situation.

I want to make sure Jordy is rested - but not too rested ;) - and ready for Game 2 so if we do start her I'm hoping she can be pulled out early with a big lead......
Last edited by SoonerGirl1201 on Mon May 29, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

If Jordy pitch Thursday and Sat, she will be laser focused and prepared for both…No doubt about it. With the way Storako is pitch, she scared me. She was in trouble and stressed and I saw her signal about wanting to come out when she pound her right hand against her hip against Clemson. She was flustered.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Yea. We dont want to get upset and have to fight out of the loosers bracket like we did in 2021. So Jordy starting and hopefully gets an early exit because the game is well in hand would be ideal.
I am also on board with with you on Deal. Patty had stated after the OSU game regarding Deals performance, she would not be afraid to bring Deal in any situation and she poved she was serious when she put her out there with bases loaded against Clemson. After Deal settle down, she did a fine job. I wouldnt look for Deal to start against Stanford, but dont be sorprised if Deal gets some meaningful innings at the CWS.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I'll play.
What I'd like to see: I'd like to start May against Stanford and save Bahl for Tenn or Bama. Stanford saw Storako last Feb when we played them so I'd like to start with May and use Deal in relief if needed.
What I expect to see: Bahl. Try to nail down that first win, although I think May is quite capable.
Even if we do start Bahl Thursday, if we win, then we get Friday off. So there's time for Bahl to recover before Tenn, the likely opponent on Saturday. Who knows, maybe Bama pulls a rabbit out of their hat and takes the game w/ Tenn. I'd love to see a Bahl / Fouts matchup. That would be awesome. But not in the losers bracket!!
aka Crimson47
RJHouston

Post by RJHouston »

I like the idea as suggested to start Bahl on Thursday and hopefully Saturday or Friday if we go there. Also, if we can get ahead, she could be relieved both days saving her. Also of note is there is not a day off till Tuesday and there is a great possibility that teams may have to play 2 games on Monday, hence off Tuesday. I like the schedule because until Monday, nobody plays more than one game a day. But Monday, could be a minimum of 2 games played (separate teams) and a maximum of 4 games, 2 by each of the 4 teams left. It's going to be wild and of course the weather could cause a lot of extra games being played as make up during days a particular team would not be playing. Monday is going to be an interesting day....
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Looks like a lot of rain coming. If so, all bets off as to who starts when.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

TropicalSooner wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:38 pm I'll play.
What I'd like to see: I'd like to start May against Stanford and save Bahl for Tenn or Bama. Stanford saw Storako last Feb when we played them so I'd like to start with May and use Deal in relief if needed.
What I expect to see: Bahl. Try to nail down that first win, although I think May is quite capable.
Even if we do start Bahl Thursday, if we win, then we get Friday off. So there's time for Bahl to recover before Tenn, the likely opponent on Saturday. Who knows, maybe Bama pulls a rabbit out of their hat and takes the game w/ Tenn. I'd love to see a Bahl / Fouts matchup. That would be awesome. But not in the losers bracket!!
On the one hand, I like the idea of keeping Storako away from Stanford since they saw her in Feb. On the other, Stanford isn't much of an offensive threat, so I like the idea of throwing Storako out there to try to "get right" again, given how shaky she's looked in her last couple of outings.

After mulling it over a bit, I have settled on starting May against Stanford & then bring in Storako in the mid- to later-innings. I think May & Storako compliment each other well in that Nicole works down in the zone & changes speeds; Storako throws faster & relies on the rise ball. That's 2 very different styles of pitching that are hard for opposing batters to adjust to mid-game.

Then save Bahl for Tenn/Bama. I don't think I'd actually do it, but I wouldn't be afraid to start Deal & try to coax a couple of innings out of her & then bring Jordy in. Same rationale - the different styles of pitching are very hard for hitters to adjust to mid-game.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Brisket wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:17 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:38 pm I'll play.
On the one hand, I like the idea of keeping Storako away from Stanford since they saw her in Feb. On the other, Stanford isn't much of an offensive threat, so I like the idea of throwing Storako out there to try to "get right" again, given how shaky she's looked in her last couple of outings.

After mulling it over a bit, I have settled on starting May against Stanford & then bring in Storako in the mid- to later-innings. I think May & Storako compliment each other well in that Nicole works down in the zone & changes speeds; Storako throws faster & relies on the rise ball. That's 2 very different styles of pitching that are hard for opposing batters to adjust to mid-game.

Then save Bahl for Tenn/Bama. I don't think I'd actually do it, but I wouldn't be afraid to start Deal & try to coax a couple of innings out of her & then bring Jordy in. Same rationale - the different styles of pitching are very hard for hitters to adjust to mid-game.
That philosophy is kinda what Rittman did to us when he started McCubbin in the "win or go home" game. And it almost worked!