Three Sooners SB on Team USA for Japan All Star Series

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Three Sooners SB on Team USA for Japan All Star Series

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Hansen, Sanders, and Hodge were selected to be on Team USA for the Japan All-Star Series. Congratulations to the trio of Sooners.

I must admit that part of this announcement surprises me.

Hansen is a no brainer in my mind. She is the Team USA Catcher right now.

I can see Sanders getting selected, but I can't say that there could be others that might deserve it at last as much. But i do not know who was invited to the camp either.

As for Hodge. Yes she is good. Yes, she is good defensively. But I wonder if she is going to be able to hit the Japan All-Stars. Perhaps her versatility enables her to be on the team as an infielder and an outfielder. Plus being on the JWNT team helps also.

2023 JAPAN ALL-STAR SERIES ROSTER
Name Position College
Valerie Cagle* RHP Clemson
NiJaree Canady RHP Stanford
Jada Cody INF UCF
Erin Coffel* INF Kentucky
Hannah Gammill INF Arkansas
Megan Grant* INF UCLA
Kinzie Hansen C Oklahoma
Avery Hodge* UTL Oklahoma
Alex Honnold OF Missouri
Jayda Kearney OF Georgia
Viviana Martinez INF Texas
Ruby Meylan RHP Washington
Taylor Pleasants INF LSU
Cydney Sanders INF Oklahoma
Alana Vawter RHP Stanford
Jordan Woolery INF UCLA
*Indicates former member of JWNT

Head Coach
John Rittman (Clemson - HC)

Assistant Coaches
Brian Kolze (Pacific - HC)
Chris Malveaux (Tennessee - AC
Mike Roberts (Virginia - Assoc. HC)

waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

My n to the title was great, Jennings , ;Lyons and Coleman are finally getting their shot .No offense meant to the Sooners chosen but we aren't sending OUr best and neither is USA softball . I expect Japan to slap us around again . Hope I am wrong .
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

There's another usa team as well, the national A team that will play in the world cup or world championships with one Sooner, Alo. Most are UCLA and Pac 12 players. Jee, I wonder why.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-softball/team-usa/women

It is a bit discouraging that year after year the best players, OU players just mentioned like Coleman and Jennings, are left off the A team. And Hansen, though on the one team, is not on the A team. I know there are other USA teams that a OU players have been on and maybe Coleman and Jennings have other commitments, but this has been going on a long time. I guess USA softball has decided to go for participation trophies.

Add Alo to this years OU team and you have the best in the world.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Coleman was on last years Japan All Star series team and got replaced at last minute. She was also initially selected for the world cup this year, but got replaced again. Without any inside information, I think Coleman probably wanted to spend the summer relaxing and recharging rather than training for softball.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I, too, noticed the clutch veterans on our team (I'm talking Jennings and Coleman here) were left off the team. I hope they both just wanted to take the summer off. If not, makes me wonder how bad the selection committee really wanted to win this. Looking at the roster, there are a lot of good players on the team though....but a lot of them are young. They could've used some additional veterans on the team for leadership--esp inf and outf...imho....
Cagle, Hansen, Pleasants, and Vawter are your veterans on this team--and two are pitchers. Hope that's enough.
aka Crimson47