Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Jocelyn Erickson Enters the Transfer Portal

Post by TropicalSooner »

This is not good.

aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Literally 0 catching depth now. Getting a catcher from the portal just become #1 priority for Patty.
White River

Post by White River »

I worried when she wasn't at the post Championship Celebration that she might hit the portal but after a week or so passed I assumed it was just a schedule conflict. She is a great talent and I hate to see her leave. She was amazing the first half of the season. In the past the portal has been a great source of talent for the Sooners. This season, it's been a great loss of talent.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

This too, is a big loss. Including Nugent. Rarely have I come across a season where we are well staffed at the plate and in the field but so very short on pitchers and now catchers!

I would now seriously think about bringing Kern on board just to have another bat (remember besides losing Nugent and Erickson, we also lost Lee and Lyons and Green).
Also, adding the pitching / catching combo of Keeley and Caroline Hudson (her catcher at Liberty). Hudson did bat .318 and had 15 HRs. But we just need a body to backup Kinz. I don't think anybody else on the team can catch.

We're now down to 17 players on the roster. Kind of a low point for the Sooners in my recent memory.

We're going to need all of the incoming freshmen step up their game now.

Edit:
Another option might be Alyssa Garcia from UCLA also.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

No need to put me on the suicide watch list but I am very troubled. Both Nugent and now Erickson in the portal does create a huge hole for the Sooners with no backup catcher.

I will say this though, again. A player and a player's family has to do what they need to do. I know a truism about "CATCHERS want to catch, period!"

I think that is at play here. I wish both of Nugent and Erickson the very best. I hope they both have great careers going forward.

Tough to type...
Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I get what you are saying. I think you mentioned one time that you have been a catcher? Sorry if I'm wrong about that. But if so, you would know that so much more than a lot of us fans about catchers wanting to catch--not just hit.

I also wonder if just perhaps Okla just wasn't the right cultural fit for Jocelyn. There's a lot of chatter on other boards about where she'll wind up, but actually, I think she will make her way back to a school somewhere in Utah. That's just me thinking out loud......

And, this couldn't have been a surprise to Patty.....wouldn't this sort of thing already be talked out during exit interviews when the season was over? I hope she has a plan in place to bring in some backup. I've tossed out a couple of names, but I don't know anything really about what makes a quality catcher in the eyes of those that have taught or played the position.

This is a sad day for all of us Sooner fans.
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I'm developing a complex, getting nervous when I click on the softball forum. Somebody make the bleeding stop!
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Erickson is a top talent. Next year, had she stayed, she'd be playing behind Hansen, playing behind Sanders, playing behind or sharing duty with Torres, and battling for playing time with Parker and Pickering. Almost any other team will have her playing day one. I can understand it. Best of luck to her. This is becoming the thin red line. Next year ought to be fun. I'll have to double up on my blood pressure meds.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Now the question is "Will Jocelyn end up a Vol"?
White River

Post by White River »

AllSooner wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:21 pm Now the question is "Will Jocelyn end up a Vol"?
My guess is Utah or BYU.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

AllSooner wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:21 pm Now the question is "Will Jocelyn end up a Vol"?
or be a Bugeater...it will be interesting to see what ind of moths can be brought to that flame.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

White River wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:39 pm
My guess is Utah or BYU.
Utah State is where her sister is. Not Utah. If she transfers for famil reasons, she will land in Utah State. But if she transfers to 'prove a point', it could be anywhere, but I would guess she would want to stay in Arizona or California if she could.
mfschief

Post by mfschief »

I love the culture Patty has created but let’s be honest, it may be a bit much for some girls. Some girls may be a bit uncomfortable with faith being such a big part of every thing they do. Not saying I would change a thing just saying some people feel very uncomfortable in that type environment.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

mfschief wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:50 pm I love the culture Patty has created but let’s be honest, it may be a bit much for some girls. Some girls may be a bit uncomfortable with faith being such a big part of every thing they do. Not saying I would change a thing just saying some people feel very uncomfortable in that type environment.
With the departure of Grace Lyons, will there be a change in culture(even if slight)?
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I'm guessing probably not.
I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put $$ on either Utah St or BYU.
aka Crimson47