Jocelyn Erickson Enters the Transfer Portal

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

AllSooner wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:21 pm Now the question is "Will Jocelyn end up a Vol"?
I'm guessing probably not.
I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put $$ on either Utah St or BYU.
aka Crimson47
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

mfschief wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:50 pm I love the culture Patty has created but let’s be honest, it may be a bit much for some girls. Some girls may be a bit uncomfortable with faith being such a big part of every thing they do. Not saying I would change a thing just saying some people feel very uncomfortable in that type environment.
I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think the faith aspect is the thing that is too much - I think the level of expectation and competition is the "too much". Most of the girls that come here were very highly recruited players out of high school and they EXPECT to start. They get to OU and they find themselves 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart and riding the bench only to be the occasional designated player to hit a few innings. THAT is what drives most of them away in my opinion. OU is at another level and players that come here want to play. If they don't get the playing time they want - they go somewhere else where they will be starter.

Erickson was NOT going to start over Sanders. Sanders is way better on defense and offense. Nugent was NOT going to start over Kinzie (same as Sanders). The one exception is Jordy and in all honesty I think she was home sick, but I also think as much of a competitor as she is - the level of expectation at OU was too much for her.

I don't think the faith aspect has ANYTHING to do with players leaving. The high standard of playing at OU, in my opinion is most likely the sole culprit.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

SoonerGirl said:

"The high standard of playing at OU, in my opinion is most likely the sole culprit."

To me, that high standard is another factor. Especially now, with the pressure to repeat as champs, and even the pressure to extend the win streak every game. Those things joined up with homesick for nebbish in jordy's case, and lack of playing time for Nugent and Erickson, all contributed, along with that satisfied itch to have a NC. Our situation is truly unique, and is the definition of excellence in play, although it's hard on the nerves.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

What I think is true is this. NONE of us will ever know about why a player transfers away from OU. Only the family and a few select insiders to their family will know. That is the way it should be as well. We as Sooner fans have had three talented players leave the program is a span of 3 weeks. It has been a bit of a downer. But here is my take on all of it.

What I think are the facts tell us is this.

Erickson was a very highly recruited player out of HS and Summer ball while playing for what might be the best program in the Batbusters. When she committed to OU she was a catcher. She played first base some to get other catchers time behind the plate.

Nugent was also highly recruited catcher out of HS and Sumne ball while playing for the Firecrackers. If you ever saw her summer highlight video of HR after HR after HR, you knew she had power and she was good defensively.

As I have said, "Catchers want to Catch". The extra COVID season for gave two very good catchers at OU a total of 2 extra years. Elam's 22 season and Hansen's 24 season delayed Nugent playing a year in 22 and Erickson playing a year in 24 behind the plate. I will also say that Nugent being recruited between Hansen and Erickson might have added one too many catchers also to the mix. So in a way, the presence of each other delayed each other.

Honestly, anyone catching over Elam or Hansen is a very hard thing to say should happen. Both were/are top notch catchers and both have bats that you would like in the lineup even though Elam never hit for a high average.

The additions of May and Sanders to the 23 season also had a big effect because those to added player took valuable playing time from both Nugent and Erickson. Very valuable playing time.
Just as the Transfer Portal gives a team a chance to replace players like never before, the Transfer Portal allows players to seek other places to play when they see they path to playing time or for other reasons to also leave. The Portal giveth and the Portal Taketh away to turn an old phrase.

I can understand both Nugent and Erickson looking elsewhere. I also totally understand Bahl going back home. It is tough to criticise any of them in my mind. They have talent and they want to play and sometimes want to play near their home. I am a big fan of all three. But, I was also a fan of Jaden Chestnut, of Mariah Lopez, of Olivia Rains, of Zaida Puni, of Kinsey Koeltzow, of Turiya Coleman, of Mackenzie Donihoo too. When you recruit the talent that Oklahoma recruits the bench will have a couple of players maybe each year waiting to play. When you also pick up transfers like the Sooners have a habit of doing, a couple more players have to find a comfortable spot on the bench. As some say, "too much of a good thing is not necessarily and bad thing, but it can be". I guess now I have to add both Nugent and Erickson to that my list of ex-Sooners.

I am not criticizing anyone here. I am just trying to objectively lay out facts for posters to try and help readers understand the progress why. Coach Gasso and her staff have job that requires them to recruit the best players and that includes picking up transfers when things fit with the Sooners, in their opinions. We have to admit that the Sooners coaching staff has been very good (as in the best, #1 successful coaching staff) at doing just that. 5 Natty's in the last 7 years. 6 Natty's in the last 10 years is hard to argue against.

Someway, the Sooners are resilient even with players transferring out that play well for their new teams. The one's that play well for their new tems far outnumber the ones that do not. Almost everyone of the transfers into the Oklahoma Program make a meaningful contribution at least in the most recent decade. Shelby Pendley, Paige Lowry, Giselle Juarez, Shannon Saile, Taylon Snow, Jana Johns, Hope Trautwein, Alex Storako and Haley Lee had significant things to add to the their teams for Oklahoma. Every one of them have a Natty Ring as do their teammates, (I will wait to add Cydney Sanders and Alynah Torres for now.)

It has been a balancing game of very good players running around the field at Maria Hynes for a while now. Soon those players will be running around Love's Field. I hope that the field is aptly named. The Sooners may need more 'love on the field' between them than ever before as the process continues to play out

And now for the 2024 season, the Sooners do need a pitcher or two and at least one catcher immediately. Maybe the Transfer Portal does giveth!

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

To me, the most curious aspect of Jocy’s announcement is the timing - why did she wait until late in the Portal period to declare? As I understand (based solely on what I read in forum posts, so it could be wrong…), tomorrow (6-28) is the last day for players to declare and all decisions must be made by 6-30. So why did Jocy wait until so late?

Maybe the Sooners have eyes on a target that Jocy felt uncomfortable about? Or maybe someplace she has eyes on reached out to her - we know the “rules” mean the schools can’t contact her direct, but there is plenty of “back-channel” ways to communicate with targets. I mean, does anyone believe Jordy hadn’t “communicated” with the NU coach prior to announcing she was leaving OU?

Finally, if we don’t sign someone this portal window, I’ll re-up a theory I posted in another thread - the committed recruits for fall 2024 enrollment. Perhaps one or more of them are efforting to complete high school by December and re-classifying their recruitment to be on campus in January, with full eligibility for 2024 season.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

From what I have understood through the grapevine that Nebraska may have scholarship limitations for 2023-24. It sounds like they are tapped out. Another catcher that recently entered the portal contacted Nebraska. That player was offered an NIL package in place of a scholarship. But the player decided against that. NIL is not guaranteed and there are tax issues.

So without scholarship dollars available, it may be tough to get players to land in Nebraska for 2023-24.
TALSOONER

Post by TALSOONER »

"schools can’t contact her direct"
"The high standard of playing at OU, in my opinion is most likely the sole culprit."

Maybe you guys know more than the rest of us, but "

1. Players can contact other schools anytime they want. Did Jordy call NU, My guess Absolutely....Same with Erickson and Nugent.
2. NIL is the fly in the ointment. Maybe not the deciding factor, and we may never know for sure, but players getting $60 - 140,000 is a fact. What Jordy, Jocy, or other were offered may eventually come to light.....

Thought provoking is the aspect of loyalty. We expect it from commitments, signers, and players, yet, as discussed in the above threads, it is not a 2 way consideration. Player loyalty does not usually live in the same world as taking the great players available from highschool, much less in the Transfer portal.

My bet is some schools promise starting positions, and players take a bird-in-hand over 2 in the bush....or starting, over a possible championship ring.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:09 am To me, the most curious aspect of Jocy’s announcement is the timing - why did she wait until late in the Portal period to declare? As I understand (based solely on what I read in forum posts, so it could be wrong…), tomorrow (6-28) is the last day for players to declare and all decisions must be made by 6-30. So why did Jocy wait until so late?

Maybe the Sooners have eyes on a target that Jocy felt uncomfortable about? Or maybe someplace she has eyes on reached out to her - we know the “rules” mean the schools can’t contact her direct, but there is plenty of “back-channel” ways to communicate with targets. I mean, does anyone believe Jordy hadn’t “communicated” with the NU coach prior to announcing she was leaving OU?

Finally, if we don’t sign someone this portal window, I’ll re-up a theory I posted in another thread - the committed recruits for fall 2024 enrollment. Perhaps one or more of them are efforting to complete high school by December and re-classifying their recruitment to be on campus in January, with full eligibility for 2024 season.
I believe you left off another possibility......It could be that Jocy was fighting amongst herself......a "leave or not leave" situation. The portal window was going to close, so procrastinating let time run short. It may have been a long process that she had to weigh the "pro's and con's"......and the old what if I don't get a team that I want to pick me up. (I believe if she knows in advance which team would take her, that team may be in violation of talking to player before they enter the portal.....most good coaches would refrain from breaking the rules.) I'm sure she would land somewhere because she if very good at her trade.....but it's still a gamble to enter the portal.
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

TALSOONER wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:42 am "schools can’t contact her direct"

Maybe you guys know more than the rest of us, but "

1. Players can contact other schools anytime they want. Did Jordy call NU, My guess Absolutely....Same with Erickson and Nugent.
2. NIL is the fly in the ointment. Maybe not the deciding factor, and we may never know for sure, but players getting $60 - 140,000 is a fact. What Jordy, Jocy, or other were offered may eventually come to light.....

Thought provoking is the aspect of loyalty. We expect it from commitments, signers, and players, yet, as discussed in the above threads, it is not a 2 way consideration. Player loyalty does not usually live in the same world as taking the great players available from highschool, much less in the Transfer portal.

My bet is some schools promise starting positions, and players take a bird-in-hand over 2 in the bush....or starting, over a possible championship ring.
To clarify, a player is limited on when they can "declare" their intent to, and then enter the portal. A school can sign them any time - so long as they are in the Portal. Schools are not under the same restrictions as the players.

Reference:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... rs-commits
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

TALSOONER wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:42 am

Well, this is probably true, but if anyone connected to Nebraska actually took her call or responded to the text, it is a technical violation. Sure the players can reach out, but coaches are in violation if the respond to any player not in the portal.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I guess I missed the part where it is known that both Nugent and Erickson reached out to Nebraska or had interest there? Interesting. At any rate, we can debate the whys but at the end of the day they chose to find another place to play. I'm sure I would have a dilemma of playing at the best school in the country and riding the bench (and getting to tell my kids I won an NC riding the bench), or playing somewhere else and actually playing.

I can't say I was that impressed with either late in the season and thought Torres outshined them both - especially in the Champ series. I thought it was a huge mistake to put Erickson in for Torres in maybe the last game, but fortunately it didn't come back to bite us. I'm sure they are amazing players and will go somewhere and with constant playing time show their true potential and shine. So I wish them well. Just at this point I'm happy we have Torres.
RahOKU

Post by RahOKU »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:42 pm I can't say I was that impressed with either late in the season and thought Torres outshined them both - especially in the Champ series. I thought it was a huge mistake to put Erickson in for Torres in maybe the last game, but fortunately it didn't come back to bite us. I'm sure they are amazing players and will go somewhere and with constant playing time show their true potential and shine. So I wish them well. Just at this point I'm happy we have Torres.
Agree. I think Torres is one of those players -- like Brito and Jana Johns -- where you just put her in the lineup and let her go. She's a streak hitter, so you just pencil her in and ride the ups and downs, believing there will be more upside. Torro was clutch at the WCWS, tough to strike out, etc. Not a natural RF, but then neither was Brito in left. I liked her and think she would really produce as a mainstay in the starting lineup.

:ou:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:09 am To me, the most curious aspect of Jocy’s announcement is the timing - why did she wait until late in the Portal period to declare? As I understand (based solely on what I read in forum posts, so it could be wrong…), tomorrow (6-28) is the last day for players to declare and all decisions must be made by 6-30. So why did Jocy wait until so late?

You bring up an interesting point about the timing aspect of her entering the portal. I did think it was unusual that she missed the national championship celebration (all the other girls were there I presume?) but didn't think toooo much of it at the time (not feeling well?). But in light of all that's transpired since then, it makes me wonder if maybe she hopped a plane back home right after the season was over to talk things out with her family, and perhaps reach out to some of the other players on the teams she might be considering (if she's considering Utah schools). Then came back to Norman to enter the portal when she did.

As for a replacement, I think we still have time regarding the entries in the portal that are still there.....there are a few catchers in there, and they really aren't flying off the shelves so to speak....and what we really need is a backup in case of injury to Hansen, although I hope we get someone good enough that we can use her to give Kinzie some rest periods ever so often. That's a hard position to play game in and game out. We still have another day for portal entries so fingers crossed.

Edit:

Well.....I stand corrected. The catchers seem to be flying off the shelf after all. Caroline Hudson has signed with the Cowgirls, and now Alyssa Garcia (UCLA) has signed with SDSU.
Guess they are starting to thin out now......
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:07 pm No need to put me on the suicide watch list but I am very troubled. Both Nugent and now Erickson in the portal does create a huge hole for the Sooners with no backup catcher.

I will say this though, again. A player and a player's family has to do what they need to do. I know a truism about "CATCHERS want to catch, period!"

I think that is at play here. I wish both of Nugent and Erickson the very best. I hope they both have great careers going forward.

Tough to type...
Boomer Sooner!
I really do not know whether it is wise for me to weigh in totally on this issue or not. I will say this, though. Everything that has been suggested or mentioned her on this thread and other threads about Erickson is no where close to THE reason why she is in the portal. I cannot and will not say anything else but that about it. She will be transferring to some other school.

I will say that I understand her reasoning and decision. I think if any of you, well probably most of you understood her reasoning and decision, you would understand as well. You would probably agree that she is a mature young lady that took control of her situation and made a decisive decision.

She is a talented player and will likley have a very good college career. It is unfortunate that it has worked out as it has. As I believe most of you know from my posts, I believed she was going to start as a freshman because of her talent and the way she had played the last 18 months before she arrived at OU. Unfortunately for her, Erickson's great start did not really earn her any 'extra' at bats or starts. As that continued, her production fell off.

Here is food for thought:

- On March 4th, in the 2nd game against Kentucky (Game #17), Erickson had 4 at bats with 3 hits to raise her average to .583. with 5 doubles ad 5 HRs in 36 at bats. She led the Sooners in total bases with 41 and a Slug% of 1.108%.

- In the remaining 45 games left in the season, Erickson had 3 at bats only 6 times and 4 at bats 1 time in the remaining 45 games. I:n the other 38 games she had 2 or 1 or 0 at bats. That means in those 38 other games, Erickson had 46 at bats.

- By the end of the season, Erickson still had a better BA than Sanders and Nugent with only Torres having a better BA. Her Slug% was still second behind Nugent. Her OB% was tied with Torres for 3rd among the 4 players. She still led the 4 players in RBIs.

It is a fair question to ask, which caused what? Did the lack of at bats cause the lower production or did the lower production cause the lower at bats for Erickson. I think it is very difficult to determine the correct answer if there is A correct answer. In fact it might not be the right questions to ask at all.

As of that March 4th game against Kentucky, she had 38 PA in 17 games which equals 2.24 PA per game. (It was not like she was starting and playing the entire game of every game in the first 17 games. She was a part-time starter with 12 starts in the first 17 games.) In the remaining 45 games, she had 66 PA which equals 1.47 PA per game. She started 20 games of the remaining 45 games. She dropped from starting 70.5% of the games to 44.4% of the time in the last 45 games.

I will close with this thought. After that March 4th game, the 4 players vying for playing time at 2 positions, Erickson was hitting .568. Nugent was hitting .412, Sanders was hitting .250 while Torres was hitting .226. (This is per their individual stats page on the roster page. these numbers look slightly off to me compared to the stats after that weekend stats for 18 games.) From the end of that weekend on March 4th, Sanders had 84 at bats, Torres 83, Erickson had 67 and Nugent had 45.

In review of the numbers provided above, some things are difficult to understand. But with any small amount of understanding, the fact that Nugent will be playing in Tennessee and Erickson will be paying elsewhere, is perhaps not too hard to understand. I will admit that I do not like reaching that conclusion. But it is where I land at the end of the day.

I really do not want to say much more on the subject. Erickson will be playing elsewhere in 2024. I wish her luck and I wish her family the best.

Breath in and Breath out.

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

For those trying to follow replacement catcher movements.....and in addition to the new homes for the above mentioned...
It is being reported by some Bama fans over on their channel that Riley Valentine has started following Coach Murphy and also his asst coach on twitter and they are now following her. Perhaps she has found a new home with the Crimson Tide. We will probably find out in another day or two.
To my knowledge, there is still the catcher from Houston on the board-- Emma Robertson-- had similar stats to Valentine for last year
GP 39 | GS 27 | BA .230 | AB 74 | R 11 | H 17 | 2B 4 |3B 0 | HR 7 | RBI 14 | SLG .554 | BB 10 | SO 29 | OB% .345 | FLD .955
Looks like she has some power with 4 doubles and 7 HRs - not afraid to swing the bat-a little high on SO's. Fielding errors is a little high. But she looks about as good as anyone else in the portal at this point.
We just need an extra body behind the plate. I would never call Hansen injury prone, but she's had her share and that position is hard day in an day out with no one to spell you.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

It comes from a good source that Torres was once a good starting catcher before she switched to play SS.

Our backup catcher may be Torres.