Good Day for Sooners Soccer

Discussions on any and all things OU women's sports
OUBeliever56A

Good Day for Sooners Soccer

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I copied from another site. It is a post by 'AbeFroman36'. Credit to him and his awareness.

With the abrupt release of the previous coaching staff in mid-April, losing 6 of the 7 incoming freshman from the fantastic November signing class, and losing (by my rough count) 13-14 of the Sooners from the 2022 season, new coach Matt Mott had his work cut out for him upon his arrival.

Signed as the new OU coach on April 30, a little over two months later he’s added ten new Sooners to his 2023 squad—they have about five weeks before their regular season opener on August 11!!!

Hopefully the returning players and these new ten can learn Mott’s system and bond together enough to play a cohesive, attacking style that allows OU to compete this season… I have no idea if they’ll be very good, but they should at least be competitive and entertaining!

Good luck ladies!

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/7/5/ ... -additions
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I did not realize that only one of the Class of 2023 Soccer Recruits had decided to decommit from the Sooners. I knew one did, Emma Alvard, when the former coach was not retained. But for all but one of them to leave is surprising. Only Lauren Hoefer from Owasso remains from the class.

Of the 10 new recruits, 8 are transfers and 3 are freshman. The new recruits include 4 Defenders, 3 Midfielders, 2 GK and 1 Forward

The Sooners will bring back 14 players including 1 GK, 3 Defenders, 3 Midfielders, 7 Forwards.

The Sooners return these players:

Starting GK - Olivia Ramey
2 starting or part-time Defenders - Muriel Kroflin, Cassie Clifton with Marianne Baltimanis who also played in 2022.
3 starting or part-time Midfielders - Cailey England, Michelle Pak and Kellis Brown
4 starting or part-time Forwards - Emma Hawkins, Alexis Washington, Leonie Weber, Chelsea Wagner with 2 who played Ella Pappas, Morgan Eikelbarner and 1 freshman, Lauren Hoefer from the Spring semester.
In addition to losing almost all of the freshman class the Sooners two very important defenders for the Sooners from last season. Defenders, Hartman and Michel both played very well for the Sooners in 2022.

Good luck to the Sooners in 2023.

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Holy crap. I was unaware that we'd lost so many players. Michel and Hartman are a huge blow. Wesco was a solid backup. So was Geoffroy and Rapp. At least we still have Weber, Hawkins, and Washington. Clifton and Kroflin will have to anchor the back line. I'll have to see how the new players are. Did we fill out the roster? Or did we get quality? Just when I thought the new class had the talent for us to supplement the existing players and turn the corner for the program.

I have a bunch of new players that I have to get acquainted with.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

After some review, I found these things about the transfers joining the Sooners!

GK:
Sierra Giorgio R-SO 5'6" - Syracuse - She played in one match in 2022. The results were not very good as she allowed 5 goals with 1 save against UCONN.

Defenders:
Keller Matise - JR 5'8" - Arkansas - She played in 12 games in 2022 and collected 1 assist. She has played in 23 matches in total. Matise was listed as a Midfielder/Defender at Arkansas.
Andie Wolfe - JR 5'9"- Michigan State - She played in 2 matches in 2022. She played in Fall matches only as a freshman. I believe that Andie is the sister of Danielle Wolfe who also is joining the Sooners from Michigan (see below).
Leane Commaret - JR - Toulouse FC - I can not find anything about this player. I can not even find a roster for Toulouse FC. If she played for a European Club she has to be somewhat talented.

Midfielders:
Koby Commandant - JR 5'5" - Syracuse - She played in 17 matches with 17 starts in 2022. She scored 1 goal and 1 assist with 12 shots. She also started in all 17 matches as a Freshman with no points.
Esalenna Galekhutle - JR ?? (she is not tall) - Tyler JC - She played in 21 matches with 19 starts in 2022. She scored 15 goals with 5 assists. In her two year career at Tyler JC she played in 41 matches with 37 starts. She has scored 25 goals with 11 assists. she has also had 12 Game Winning Goals. She is from Botswana and played on the National Team there. She was listed as a Midfielder/Forward for Tyler JC.
Zoe Parkhurst - FR ?? - Ole Miss (Spring of 2023 only as an early-enrollee) - She did play in the Fall matches for Ole Miss. It looks like she has followed Coach Mott to Oklahoma.

Forwards:
Dannielle (Dani) Wolfe - RS-SR 5'9" - Michigan - She played in 17 matches and started in 13 of those matches in 2022. She scored 1 goal and had 1 assist. In her career, she has played in 75 matches with 42 starts. She has scored 14 goals with 6 assists.

There will be 3 new Freshman on the Sooners squad for 2023.
Lauren Hoefer - Forward - She is the lone remaining Sooner commit for 2023 out of the class of 2023. She is from Owasso, OK.
Avery Hall - GK - She is from Mater Dei High School in from Laguna Niguel, California.
Avery Stevens - Defender - She is from Pacifica HS in Garden Grove, California.

Summary:
Matise and perhaps Commart might be able to provide some help as Defenders playing along side of Kroflin and Clifton.
Commandant may be able to provide some help in the midfield area joining England, Pak and Brown.
Galekhutle looks to be a true goal scorer and should be able to help at either the Midfielder or forward position.
Danielle Wolfe should be able to provide some leadership and good play as a forward joining Hawkins, Weber and Washington.