New softball rules for 24 & 25 seasons

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
ousbfan

New softball rules for 24 & 25 seasons

Post by ousbfan »

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I think the rule changes for illegal pitches and obstruction are good for the game.
EMan

Post by EMan »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:05 am I think the rule changes for illegal pitches and obstruction are good for the game.
I agree! Particularly the change where a player is making a legitimate play on the ball following its trajectory. We saw that several times last year where a catcher was trying to catch a throw from the outfield that was slightly offline and pulled her into the basepath to make the play. Also the change where the umpire has the discretion to ignore obstruction if in his/her opinion the player would have clearly been out regardless. We also saw this several times last year. Even once in the WS that I remember where the runner would've been out by 5 feet but obstruction allowed her to be safe. Those are good changes.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I was hoping they’d adopt the “double-base” international rule.

Glad they didn’t change “pitch-clock” rules, which was the ESPN Cartel cause celebre during the tournament.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The big reason games are longer are added time between half innings for commercials with more game being televised. ESPN's 3 minute breaks between half innings does not help the game at all.
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

TN Sooner wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:15 am I was hoping they’d adopt the “double-base” international rule.

Glad they didn’t change “pitch-clock” rules, which was the ESPN Cartel cause celebre during the tournament.

They did. It went from 25 seconds to 20 seconds
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Whether games are too long depends on the game. Nine innings OU vs Stanford in the WS was riveting, like the extra innings Clemson game. There was a game early in the season vs Ole Miss I think in which OU put up nine or so in the first inning, game over. Both teams kind of went through the motions after that and the five innings became interminable. ESPN can't keep scheduling softball every two hours. Every two and a half hours would be better but most games will still exceed that. For the most part, the product is exciting. Hopefully, ESPN will fully realize that. After all, they televise tennis, which is exactly in the same boat, and softball ratings, especially OU are better..
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Sooneryankee13 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:40 am
TN Sooner wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:15 am I was hoping they’d adopt the “double-base” international rule.

They did. It went from 25 seconds to 20 seconds
Ok - didn’t realize that. But they haven’t made the clock visible to fans and tv - still “in the head” of the umpire. And that’s where it needs to stay.

The clock in MLB has been fantastic, but it was necessary to make it transparent, because hitters and pitchers alike were ridiculously wasting time. We aren’t at that point in softball.
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

This was toward the bottom of the list. Is this for this upcoming season?
Visible Action Clock
10.18; See also 6.7 and 11.2.1
To allow a visible action clock(s) to assist in enforcing all timing rules equitably.
Rationale: To assist in effectively and equitably enforcing the time between innings and time between pitches and
improve the pace and flow of the game. The use of a visible action clock(s) has been effective in Major and Minor
League Baseball and NCAA baseball at improving pace of play and assisting umpires in properly administering these
timing rules.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

EMan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:25 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:05 am I think the rule changes for illegal pitches and obstruction are good for the game.
I agree! Particularly the change where a player is making a legitimate play on the ball following its trajectory. We saw that several times last year where a catcher was trying to catch a throw from the outfield that was slightly offline and pulled her into the basepath to make the play. Also the change where the umpire has the discretion to ignore obstruction if in his/her opinion the player would have clearly been out regardless. We also saw this several times last year. Even once in the WS that I remember where the runner would've been out by 5 feet but obstruction allowed her to be safe. Those are good changes.
I like this too. Gives the catcher a fair chance to make the play. We may get to see some nice crashes now as the runner tries to touch home before the ball arrives.
aka Crimson47