Right or Wrong??

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Raul

Post by Raul »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I think this whole situation will come down to whether Lebby willfully stepped over a well-communicated line or not.

If it’s just bad optics or poor judgement, a stern “learning moment” conversation to that effect is warranted, while still acknowledging the family dynamics involved.

If it’s something more than that, as Joe’s comment certainly suggests, as well as Lebby’s weasel words of “well after the game was over” also hint at - OU won’t be able to just move on.

Either way, this certainly is an entry onto Lebby’s dreaded “permanent record” that we all have, whether he is the best OC ever or barely mediocre.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

AllSooner wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:43 am Art on the sidelines means very little to me. I didn't see Brent interacting with Art......no hugs, hand shakes, fist bumps......nothing. So I'm willing to bet that Art will never see the inside of the locker room let alone be allowed to address/interact with the players. My guess is that the present players know very little about Art's time at Baylor. So it's only those that are old enuff to remember that are voicing their outrage. I KNOW that nothing like what happened in Waco will ever happen in Norman! I vaguely remember what brought Switzer down back in '89, maybe not as bad as Waco, but I don't condone what happened back then nor do I let what happened back then interfere with how I think of Barry as being the "King".
That is a great point. I'm actually not a huge Lebby fan but I think like others have said Brent knew what he was getting when he hired Lebby. Also, I believe in giving people second chances. I don't want Briles anywhere near the football program but I would never begrudge him celebrating with family. I don't see a huge issue with joining Lebby after the game. If explicit instructions had been given to him to keep Briles from the lime light then he does need to account for that but jeez, I think people are just wanting Lebby out because his offense was disappointing.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

From all I have gleaned on the socials he was not on the sideline during the game. This happened right after the game.

But if our AD said boundaries were set at hiring (about this) then thats not a good look by Lebby.

Brent did not know about it until asked at the presser. He said it would be dealt with and left it at that.

Lebby was asked at presser and instead of saying his FIL surprised him comimg down - he instead tried to justify it. He was what I would call harsh in his reply as if it was no big deal and the reporter shouldn’t question it. Not a good look.

Regardless his guilt or innocence the public is disgusted with Briles. And he was wearing an OU shirt in our stadium next to our OC. Thats what plays in the media and in the minds of those who assume his guilt at Baylor and nothing will change that. He should not have been there and it gives a bad look to our program. To me this was worse than what Gundy did as his was reading words written by someone else but Briles was in charge of a program that had several rape coverup accusations.

I am not here to decide rather to compare and report what I’ve seen. This is a tricky one as Lebby recruited quite a few of our 4 and 5 star offensive players including Jackson Arnold. If OU were to fire him it might cause some players to leave and recruits to flip. If they keep him then some fans will never like him for having justified Briles being on the sidelines in an OU shirt.

I would assume it will be dealt with behind closed doors. To me it doesn’t matter his relationship, he is representing the program when in the stadium. He has to know better due to how the public percieves Briles, right or wrong they have assigned him guilty and want nothing to do with him.

The picture first posted

Lebby reply at presser

Another pic

In Brent I Trust :D
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Raul wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:01 pm I think this whole situation will come down to whether Lebby willfully stepped over a well-communicated line or not.

If it’s just bad optics or poor judgement, a stern “learning moment” conversation to that effect is warranted, while still acknowledging the family dynamics involved.

If it’s something more than that, as Joe’s comment certainly suggests, as well as Lebby’s weasel words of “well after the game was over” also hint at - OU won’t be able to just move on.

Either way, this certainly is an entry onto Lebby’s dreaded “permanent record” that we all have, whether he is the best OC ever or barely mediocre.
I'm not convinced Joe C's statement made it clear that Briles being prohibited from post game field visits was explicitly stated. I thought Joe's comment "implied" that it was "implied". More like Joe assumed Lebby knew not to bring him on field post-game as opposed to it being explicitly stated. So, I'm guessing there is a little wiggle room and Lebby will now have a clear directive. But I think this is much ado about nothing. You have people who want OU to cheat at recruiting to get top recruits at all costs now clutching their pearls over a post-game field picture.....
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...this subject has been discussed, cussed and dismissed several times.

I've attempted to make my position clear before, but to reiterate:

Art Briles was the HC @ Baylor when this scandal went down.
He bears (and has borne) responsibility for what happened.

I've read testimony from victims, victims parents, victim attorneys, and victim coaches.
Briles was offered up as the scapegoat by Baylor.

Briles sued Baylor for wrongful termination...and Baylor settled out of court for a not insignificant amount of $$$.

But even if Briles is as guilty, or more guilty than anyone really knows.
The civil legal court proceedings and settlements at least partially exonerate Briles.

Briles is the 21st Century Scarlet Letter!
He's been demonized and villified.
He's been scorned by the media and the fans.
He's been hounded, prevented from working as a coach.
He's been humiliated.
He's been cancelled!!!

So, admitting his sin of immoral lack of action and poor judgement, and acknowledging that he's paid a price for it...

Lebby's kids call him Grandpa.
Daughter(s) call him Daddy.
He's a man.
He's a flawed man, with warts, shortcomings and failures.
But, a man, just like any of us.

FOR ME...this has gone on long enough!
I have no illusion of impacting one iota of those who believe with resolute conviction that Art Briles is SATAN!
I will pose that the self righteous indignation seems a bit over the top. IMO
This happened almost a decade ago.

There was this really wise man who once said... "How is it you see the splinter in your neighbors eye, and not the log in your own."

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Ill second that motion..............The End
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
paboomersooner

Post by paboomersooner »

I third this. ^^^

Even Baylor doesn't hold him accountable.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Brile ... 15953.html

On a semi-separate note, I read some serious accusations from up here in PA about multiple sexual assaults by OU football players, on campus, in the late '80's during Switzer's tenure. Because of my geographical disconnect with Oklahoma University and the media's ability to distort stories and demonize people into oblivion, I have serious questions for anyone who may know. What was true and what was not true about those stories? Is it better/worse/similar to what happened at Baylor?
captnop

Post by captnop »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:38 pm ...this subject has been discussed, cussed and dismissed several times.

I've read testimony from victims, victims parents, victim attorneys, and victim coaches.

Briles sued Baylor for wrongful termination...and Baylor settled out of court for a not insignificant amount of $$$.

The civil legal court proceedings and settlements at least partially exonerate Briles.

He's been humiliated.
He's been cancelled!!!

So, admitting his sin of immoral lack of action and poor judgement, and acknowledging that he's paid a price for it...

He's a man.

I have no illusion of impacting one iota of those who believe with resolute conviction that Art Briles is SATAN!

There was this really wise man who once said... "How is it you see the splinter in your neighbors eye, and not the log in your own."

This .. it's over... the authorities have punished him and he has said he was sorry.. BTW if you look at Baylor in general, they had this issues YEARS BEFORE he showed up. Not just the football team. If a female was raped on campus by another student, they first pushed the blame to her.. she led him on, she dressed provocatively etc etc .. very little was done about it. It's not fair to single out a coach and blame him, when the AD and President were probably the one running the show and had basically created monster before he showed up. Everyone wants to be judge jury and executioner now, but no one wants to be judged themselves. Let it go, it's over ..... I'm not a Briles fan by any means,,, but Baylor itself is more to blame for this than he is IMO
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:38 pm ...this subject has been discussed, cussed and dismissed several times.

He's been humiliated.
He's been cancelled!!!

He's a man.

This is correct….

Don’t make OU a SJW, what good comes from making this an issue

I am more concerned with Lebbys play calling and that sack he wears over his clothes….
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

You have to choose your battles to fight in life, this is one I am done fighting. In reality, this ranks about 945 out of 1,000 of things have to worry about today.
You shall not pass
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Actually, after listening to Lebby s answer to the question at the presser, I have a little more respect for Lebby. I really dont want Briles on the sideline during games or interacting with players on OU s behalf. But after the game celebrating with family? Man, even if you do have a problem with that, there are bigger issues to be concerned about.

I wonder if those making an issue of this are separating their opinion of his offensive coordinator abilities with this issue.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

OUr AD, the best in the nation, had a problem with Briles being there and had to issue a statement about it.

That is all you need to know to know it was wrong for Briles to be down on the field. Poor judgment on Lebby's part to have him there regardless of familial connections.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Up North Sooner wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:21 pm OUr AD, the best in the nation, had a problem with Briles being there and had to issue a statement about it.

That is all you need to know to know it was wrong for Briles to be down on the field. Poor judgment on Lebby's part to have him there regardless of familial connections.
Agreed. It seems like Art B lacks common sense, among other failings. Art B May now be having an inadvertent hand in getting his son in law fired or blackballed.
#Mentally In Portal
walt

Post by walt »

EMan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:48 am I have an extremely hard time believing Briles wasn't involved in the mess that was going on in Waco, much less didn't know anything about it. And this is not good optics as they say. Lebby (and Briles) should've thought about how this would play out. Not good judgment. But to be honest, this is really pretty much a nothing-burger as far as I'm concerned. Briles is his FIL, his entire family was there, and it was after the game. If not for photos by some media people trying to create a story, no one would've even had a clue Briles was in town, much less at the game. However, now that the standard has most definitely been set and I assume voiced to all affected parties, Lebby will know not to let it happen again. Other than that, time to move on as far as I'm concerned.
I like what EMan has it's pretty good. I've made lots of decisions in my lifetime ... we humans are pretty good at making bad decisions. It is very easy to make decisions without thinking of the pros and cons when making a decision on a tough issue. Sometimes we just make a bad decision believing that we made a good decision.

It is plain impossible that Art Briles didn't know about what was going on with the Baylor players on his team. I doubt that Jeff Lebby had anything about what his head coach Art Briles did. I think that Jeff Lebby is a decent man and is trying to be a good coach and a good person trying to do what he can to help build back the OU football program.

I'm positive that Jeff Lebby in his own head didn't think of the fallout with Art Briles walking around on OU turn. As EMan said above, this incident is pretty much nothing in the long run. I doubt that Jeff ever reflected on Art Briles as being the villain that everyone in the business of Briles coaching on another football team. Briles was turned down whenever he tried to find another job on any football team. Even the Canadian Pro Football teams turned him.

It is just a sad deal and surely doesn't help Brent with his work to rebuild the OU football program.

I hope this just goes away and when OU goes to Tulsa there will be nothing talked about this deal.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
RussC

Post by RussC »

Meanwhile in Spartan Land:

“Mel Tucker fired as Michigan State’s coach, sources told
@ActionNetworkHQ
. Secondary coach Harlon Barnett will be MSU’s interim coach w/former coach Mark Dantonio expected to assist in an undefined role. MSU investigating allegations Tucker sexually harassed activist/rape survivor Brenda Tracy, USA Today reported. School has called a 5 p.m. news conference”
#Mentally In Portal
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

RussC wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:33 pm Meanwhile in Spartan Land:

“Mel Tucker fired as Michigan State’s coach, sources told
@ActionNetworkHQ
. Secondary coach Harlon Barnett will be MSU’s interim coach w/former coach Mark Dantonio expected to assist in an undefined role. MSU investigating allegations Tucker sexually harassed activist/rape survivor Brenda Tracy, USA Today reported. School has called a 5 p.m. news conference”
I was watching the MSU/Richmond game and they flashed that Mel had a $95 million contract. It will be interesting to see how this is handled. Prolly not in Mel's favor is my bet.