RB Situation

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Fly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 am I agree with you Z but after I posted the above I looked at our recruiting board. I see no top running backs we are recruiting as of now.
The one we did has pulled up, from us & flipped to UCF. That is troubling! I don,t keep up with recruiting so may some one who does
can chime in on running back recruits. I did not see any.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
???

We have the top 24 RB committed to OU (Tatum).
In Brent I Trust :D
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

One huge bright spot about our RB's is that they don't put the ball on the ground. They protect it.

Now it's up to the coaches we pay the big bucks to, to figure out how to get things rolling on our run game. We saw some of that in the second half as they changed our blocking to spring some nice runs.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Tatum will attemd all oir home games this year.

Some work this past Friday

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I’ve given this a lot of thought. There is so much that goes into a game week. Not counting school work amd making practices on time. We do not know the ins and outs of weekly events. Oir coaches always say you can earn your way to play but that means putting in the work every day. Its possible he isn’t showing out at practice - or not that he’s doing bad - rather the others are doing better.

Then you have the on field play. We sometimes only look at what they produced on the field. But look at how many plays they are out there. They might only carry 10-20% of snaps. But they have an important job when not getting ball. Pre snap movement (no false starts). Making the right pre snap moves (important to play development). Then its blocking, have to make key blocks on passing downs. And sometimes its a quick block and run a short outlet route.

What we never see is when they do ot wrong. A play might work great but yet the RB didn’t execute what was called(we got lucky but it looks fine if play worked regardless).

How engaged are you when not starting or playing? Are you still supporting the team and staying engaged.

There are so many factors that we fans never see. All we see is some plays didn’t work great and it must be RB fault. It could be oline zigged instead of zagged. Or just one oline made wrong play.

Its an amazing amount of factors that go into it. And one more is early in season we don’t want to show everything before Tx game. That game and forward all plays amd players should be on table.

Lebby has had top 10 offenses for past 3 or 4 years. Thats vs SeC and B12. I have to trust he knows what he’s doing.

Lets add one last factor. What if BV tells him during game “my D needs a rest so lets slow it down”. And maybe Lebby wants to go up tempo or longer passing game but has to slow down to fit game flow. Then we moght force runs and that can lead to less yards yet was what BV wanted.

I trust BV and therfore trust our OC. During gamethreads I am more vocal (complaining) but thats just in the moment enotions, not thought out ones. I look at gamethreads as all of us pulled up to the bar and just chatting but without as much meaning as normal. Just small talk about a team we love. Its more critical but not meant as meaningful as weekly discussion. During week I can do more critical thinking.
walt

Post by walt »

OldTimer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:11 pm
walt wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:46 pm
cushcreekmont wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:19 am

"Fans" can see the inadequacies of the RB room! Recruiting in *s means nothing. Recruiting PRODUCTION matters. If Murray is making the RB playing time decisions, Lebby needs to intervene. Walker is fine in the 4th quarter and short yardage. Major is not (and has not for his tenure) performing at a high level.

Having watched football since the 1950s, I have seen many RBs (and other players) that excel in games and are not great in practice. While I am not privy to the current team's practice, the RB play is poor.
I'm absolutely positive that fans can see what "they" think is a poor play by a player or poor coaching by a position coach. However fans don't really what is going on with the team or the coaches. Lots of fans think they know better than those who actually know what is going on with the players and coaches. Over my lifetime I have had lots of fans who d, but truly don't know come here from "sic'em. It is OK to ... as :c I enjoy comedy. :tongue:
But do you agree or disagree that if we don’t talk about our opinions on coaching and players, then we might as well shut all message boards down? Just take what the coaches and media feeds us as facts? That’s Orwellian thinking.
No, I was just making a comment that fans most likely don't know a lot about the goings on in games. On every down, there are situations where players have to adjust to what is in front of them. Not every flaw in every play is due to the player or the call ... it is a crap shot on every play, and it isn't all the call or the player.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I have used the Cush moniker since the very beginning of free TFB (before there was a snob side). Used something on old Scout and some others but do not recall as those are at least 15 or 20 years in the past.

I did change to the Bud avi from an OU helmet on TFB. I also go to Bob Edwards' site (Soonercorner, I think).

Been a Sooner fan and watched (when possible) since the 1950s. I went to OU in the late 60s and early 70s. I filmed (yep, no video) the OU spring, August camp, and season practices as well as games - 1971, 72, 73 (until I f'd up and graduated).

I brought the developed film to the assistant coaches (Usually Gayland Hall or Barry Switzer) as Fairbanks was far too grand to talk to a college kid that was not a football player.

AND I still believe there is something amiss with THIS RB room (players and/or coach).
texsa sucks!
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Cush, I got you mixed up with another poster that was on the TFB freeboard and made it to Sooner Corner. I think he went by Marauntha or some sort (Marathon Oil? LOL) on TFB.

Sory for the mix-up. :confusedplus:
bigedell

Post by bigedell »

I had to come here to get the down low on the running game. I've been seeing the groups on Facebook and the pundits, but I wanted to come to where some people would discuss!

I don't understand why we're not doing something to help the offensive line. Why are we not running screens or shuffle passes or SOMETHING to get those RBs into space where they can work? I seem to remember that we overcame the lack of an experienced O-Line in the past by using some trickery and the short passing game, and I'm wondering why we aren't doing it. I'm not the greatest football mind in the world, so I'm asking what should we be doing?
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Fly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 am I agree with you Z but after I posted the above I looked at our recruiting board. I see no top running backs we are recruiting as of now.
The one we did has pulled up, from us & flipped to UCF. That is troubling! I don,t keep up with recruiting so may some one who does
can chime in on running back recruits. I did not see any.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Fly, Guy told you about the #1 RB pledged. Here's another, the top RB in Oklahoma and tearing it up so far this year. Check his size. He's the real deal. We are fine to great in 24. I don't think we have any 25 pledges and maybe that's what you were referring to...

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/x ... 20?view=pv
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

bigedell wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:34 pm I had to come here to get the down low on the running game. I've been seeing the groups on Facebook and the pundits, but I wanted to come to where some people would discuss!

I don't understand why we're not doing something to help the offensive line. Why are we not running screens or shuffle passes or SOMETHING to get those RBs into space where they can work? I seem to remember that we overcame the lack of an experienced O-Line in the past by using some trickery and the short passing game, and I'm wondering why we aren't doing it. I'm not the greatest football mind in the world, so I'm asking what should we be doing?
In my opinion. I think the staff looked at schedule and what we had change wise from last year (lots). So they are trying things to get film. I think we have more tricks up our sleeve and are saving some. At times in these games we see how open our wrs are so we know we can pass mostly at will. Loke last game we could pass to the sides 10-20 yards up every play. But then I think we want to try some running things. And that film can be used to adjust things both oline and runners. And as well for oir qb in a RPO play.

I think we’ll be fine. Won’t set records but will be ok.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

We ran a few screens. Maybe 1/3 of them worked

We ran the GT pull it worked

Occasionally a base play gets 15 or more

I am not unhappy with run game or RB

I don’t expect perfection.

Get yards and don’t fumble that is what I want and we are getting that

The pass game is for big plays
pippen

Post by pippen »

OU Guy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:49 pm
bigedell wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:34 pm I had to come here to get the down low on the running game. I've been seeing the groups on Facebook and the pundits, but I wanted to come to where some people would discuss!

In my opinion. I think the staff looked at schedule and what we had change wise from last year (lots). So they are trying things to get film. I think we have more tricks up our sleeve and are saving some. At times in these games we see how open our wrs are so we know we can pass mostly at will. Loke last game we could pass to the sides 10-20 yards up every play. But then I think we want to try some running things. And that film can be used to adjust things both oline and runners. And as well for oir qb in a RPO play.

I think we’ll be fine. Won’t set records but will be ok.
I agree OU Guy. That said, I think we just need to chill on this subject until October 8.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Confirmed its practice that has a big impact.

OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Oklahombre wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:19 pm Cush, I got you mixed up with another poster that was on the TFB freeboard and made it to Sooner Corner. I think he went by Marauntha or some sort (Marathon Oil? LOL) on TFB.

That is me you have Cush confused with.
“Come now, let us reason together “
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Oklahombre wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:19 pm Cush, I got you mixed up with another poster that was on the TFB freeboard and made it to Sooner Corner. I think he went by Marauntha or some sort (Marathon Oil? LOL) on TFB.

:) Okay.

PS - I remember old Cecil Samara and his Sooner car for many, MANY years at OU games. As a student, I thought him a really odd duck. As an old fart, I understand his Sooner football love a lot more :)
texsa sucks!
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

cushcreekmont wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:22 am

:) Okay.

PS - I remember old Cecil Samara and his Sooner car for many, MANY years at OU games. As a student, I thought him a really odd duck. As an old fart, I understand his Sooner football love a lot more :)
One of my favorite memories going to the games in the 70's. Cecil was one of a kind and loved the ladies. He took a special interest in my ex-wife and she was 10 to look at ( a 1 to live with, lol). He would drool over her and the old guy had some handsy moves. He never forgot her even thou my attendabce was spotty.

I chose the avatar of Cecil just because he was the perfect fan and showed it every game. BTW, a poster named @ClaireOKC helped me downsize the picture to fit into this site.

;) :dude: