Overreaction Sunday

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Zgeo

Overreaction Sunday

Post by Zgeo »

I am going to forget the KU game. We still have the CC in front of us. We have a tough game in stoolwater next week. The pokes beat KU….

I hope we win out the rest of the way…..

:dillon: :dillon: :ou: :ou: :ou: :BV: :BV: :BV:
captnop

Post by captnop »

Zgeo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:16 pm I am going to forget the KU game. We still have the CC in front of us. We have a tough game in stoolwater next week. The pokes beat KU….

I hope we win out the rest of the way…..

:dillon: :dillon: :ou: :ou: :ou: :BV: :BV: :BV:
Best post of the day!!!!

It was a weird disjointed day... Plus the lightning delay. I for one will NOT miss playing in the godforsaken state of Kansas.
pippen

Post by pippen »

Thankfully it's easier to forget the TV games. However, I will not forget, excuse or forgive a loss next weekend. Must win.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

The mounting injuries are worrisome to me. We definitely miss Andrel Anthony at receiver.
Gentry Williams, Danny Stutsman, and Tawee Walker are all extremely important contributors. If those three are out, things could get rough.
captnop

Post by captnop »

The offense has not been the same since Anthony got hurt. It's good to see Barnes back.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Just woke up . Had a terrible nightmare about losing a football game to the Big Blue Chickens......thank God it was only.....oh crap .
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

It does feel like a bad dream….

It is time to reassess, use what works, throw away the rest, and move on, it gets harder from here on in…..

But we still have the CC in front of us and Sooners lead the Big 12.

Look here https://big12sports.com/standings.aspx?path=football

:BV: :BV: :ou: :ou:
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

Early on in the season our WR’s were “da bomb” and we were singing the praises of our WR coach.

Honestly, after what I saw yesterday, I’m not sure Lebby has any confidence in them (may be justified, are they getting open?). Or has he lost confidence in Dillon delivering them the ball (19 attempts with 7 on the last drive)?

After 8 games, this team has regressed, and you can assume injuries have taken their toll.

Defensively, we forced KU into 2 punts. Ouch. Amazing when you consider they couldn’t complete half their passes. They were 2 for 3 on fourth downs.

Does any future opponent worry about 82 getting the ball in his hand?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

My opinion. I don’t think our receivers were the problem. I think it was our qb and OC. After the Int it was clear DG was afraid to make passes. We had wide open recievers and he would not pull trigger. Not sure if Lebby told him not to or he got cold feet (or both) but he was not willikg to make passes. In the 3rd qtr we had 0 passes. As things got close he did in 4th.

I don’t want either replaced even though I think JA will be a better qb he doesn’t have the experience.

We are still on track to be in the B12 CCG. No room for error now but that might help motivate the team.
In Brent I Trust :D
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Somehow, to me, these things don't seem so much as overreactions:

1. The injury issues. We had 3 more go down yesterday, Stutsman, Walker, and Williams. I sincerely hope these can be rehabbed in time for next Sat's game. Anthony is gone. Others: Marcus Major seems to be out more than he's not. Favors shoulder when he is there. There may be more that I'm not thinking of.

2. Running backs. If Walker is out and Major always unknown, we are down to two backs: Sawchuck and Barnes. A lot of folks thought these two would be the starters all year. It appears they have their chance now. Beyond that, we dip into the Freshmen. Or use Farooq. Farooq may not be a bad choice, but if we do that, just put him in the backfield, not the WR hand offs....please.

3. Three turnovers and 100+ in penalties are too much to overcome.

4. I've read that against OSU, if we play like we did against Texas we will win. Like we did against Kansas, we lose. I basically agree with this statement---but we can't play like we did against Texas. We won't have the same players. Unless Stutsman, Walker, and Williams magically return.

I realize I am stating the obvious. It just seems like if I put it out there, then somehow it becomes fixable. Perhaps not. We will see come next Saturday.

Taking an early look at the forecast, they are expecting Sunny and 70 degrees. The weather should not be an issue. The crowd obviously will.
aka Crimson47
Fly

Post by Fly »

What you guys say about injuries ,s fans for get. The bad part all those Guy are key players. People we are not that deep YET. We don,t
Even have a field goal kicker. The one we have could not compete getting the job at many high schools. We do not have the great
running backs that many smaller programs have. We must get a good running game going. We have talent, but not across the board.
We were undefeated before Saturday & now people want to fire coaches. This happens every year, so why should I be surprised? :surrender:

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Lets look at penalties. Of 133 teams we are at 106 (1 is least penalties per gameand 133 is most). The next B12 team comes in at 92 (UCF) and then TTU at 60. Its a pretty big gap.

pippen

Post by pippen »

Fly wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:15 am
We were undefeated before Saturday & now people want to fire coaches. This happens every year, so why should I be surprised? :surrender:

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Oh, I've been ready to fire Lebby since last year when his insistence on running hurry-up no matter the game situation cost us at least two games, if not more.

But, we lost yesterday because of the weather - which ostensibly spooked us on throwing the ball (not to mention the pick 6 -though I'm not sure the weather had anything to do with that); the turnovers - KU scored 2 TDs off those; the penalties - a KU FG drive was helped (though not extended, it only added 10 yards to a KU first down) by a defensive holding call, and a KU TD drive was greatly helped by the 30 yard penalty (which thankfully for my blood pressure I didn't see); and the key injuries - particularly Walker. Though not having Stutsman (and Williams[?])clearly hurt our defensive performance in the 2nd half, I really have little doubt that Walker in the game healthy would have made difference on our next to last drive when all we needed was one first down to win the game. Would have been nice if Key Lawrence had held on to that INT.

Though I hate to admit it, I am a bit relieved. My brain has been telling me for weeks that this team really has no business being in the playoffs, no matter how much my heart wanted to believe in magic reborn.
pippen

Post by pippen »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:36 am Lets look at penalties. Of 133 teams we are at 106 (1 is least penalties per gameand 133 is most). The next B12 team comes in at 92 (UCF) and then TTU at 60. Its a pretty big gap.

Where does sexaT rank?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

pippen wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:54 am
OU Guy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:36 am Lets look at penalties. Of 133 teams we are at 106 (1 is least penalties per gameand 133 is most). The next B12 team comes in at 92 (UCF) and then TTU at 60. Its a pretty big gap.

Where does sexaT rank?