starting a new trend

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Raul

Post by Raul »

Bottom post of the previous page:

My specific beef with Lebby’s performance today was after BBowman’s interception we had a perfect chance to step on their necks and secure the W. Then Lebby, again like last week, cowered and pulled his turtle head back into his turtle shell with super conservative calls, yielding a predictable failed drive.
At this point I wonder what it will take for him to be able to confidently seize the moment, instead of running from it. Hopefully this comes soon.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well Lebby did one hell of a job at Ole Miss, & considered a top 5 OC when BV hired him. I wonder what happened. Look at out our
stat,s I posted in another thread next to Aggies. It like The King use to say it is not the X & O that make the difference it,s the Jimmy
& Joes. This is not the NFL we are watching. You don,t see them jumping off sides, miss handle the ball on hand offs, exc. They are
still kids.We are nothing but fans, & base our opinions on what we think, me included. I can say this we ran the ball on them better
then the last three teams that played them.When you pass every down three things can happen & two of them are bad. Completion,good, incomplete bad, interception bad. Some thing to think about.🤔 Barry beat a lot of GREAT teams with out hardly
throwing the ball. I,m just saying if a play works the OC great call. If it don,t he is a idiot.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Some of Lebby’s play calls and some of our personnel decisions, given the down/distance/situation, are truly bizarre.

I thought Ikard nailed it during the radio broadcast when he said our regular offense was doing great, but we get into trouble when we run those “gadget” type plays.

I know he did well at UCF and Ole Miss but was he actually calling the plays for them? I think Heupel and Kiffin were calling plays and now at OU we are seeing who Lebby really is, as a play caller, for the first time.
soonershok

Post by soonershok »

SoonerTony wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:49 am \
I know he did well at UCF and Ole Miss but was he actually calling the plays for them? I think Heupel and Kiffin were calling plays and now at OU we are seeing who Lebby really is, as a play caller, for the first time.
This is what I think as well
pippen

Post by pippen »

Raul wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:13 pm My specific beef with Lebby’s performance today was after BBowman’s interception we had a perfect chance to step on their necks and secure the W. Then Lebby, again like last week, cowered and pulled his turtle head back into his turtle shell with super conservative calls, yielding a predictable failed drive.
At this point I wonder what it will take for him to be able to confidently seize the moment, instead of running from it. Hopefully this comes soon.
This is almost spot on. It wasn't just yesterday. There have been numerous"predictable failed drives" this year, particularly the last 3 games, but before as well. We are insistent on playing not to lose. So, of course, we do.
soonershok

Post by soonershok »

pippen wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:55 am
Raul wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:13 pm My specific beef with Lebby’s performance today was after BBowman’s interception we had a perfect chance to step on their necks and secure the W. Then Lebby, again like last week, cowered and pulled his turtle head back into his turtle shell with super conservative calls, yielding a predictable failed drive.
This is almost spot on. It wasn't just yesterday. There have been numerous"predictable failed drives" this year, particularly the last 3 games, but before as well. We are insistent on playing not to lose. So, of course, we do.
That is the best descriptor of this team...we play not to lose
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

SoonerTony wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:49 am Some of Lebby’s play calls and some of our personnel decisions, given the down/distance/situation, are truly bizarre.

I thought Ikard nailed it during the radio broadcast when he said our regular offense was doing great, but we get into trouble when we run those “gadget” type plays.

That is a great point. Don't know how, but I had never connected those dots. Thank you for pointing it out.
Shelstin

Post by Shelstin »

My only real concern doesn't revolve around an offensive game plan, but personnel choices. When we needed to grind out a win, why in the hell did we pull Walker?
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

Shelstin wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:16 am My only real concern doesn't revolve around an offensive game plan, but personnel choices. When we needed to grind out a win, why in the hell did we pull Walker?
I agree he was getting yards about every carry!
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

Lebby frustrates the hell out of me for many reasons, some of which may not be entirely his fault. But I hate the number of passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, that stuff worked better 20 years ago when it was unique, but our guys don't make people miss enough, and aren't strong enough to break tackles for the most part. I also feel like he has a handful of tricky plays each game, and by God he's going to run them whether they fit the game situation or not. The high speed fast tempo is too hard on the defense when you go three and out, and it doesn't last more than 3-4 plays anyway because defenses have figured out they can have a guy just lay on the ground and completely disrupt the flow.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

For some reason, Jeff doesn't act like an OC getting nearly $2 mil a year. It seems like he should be in the $600 thous bracket.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Joe you make a great point on the fast play working in our game plan. But how many times did we have it working & the Aggie, s
come up with a fake defensive injury, to take our momentum away? There must be a rule to penalize that bull crap!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou: