Over Reaction Sunday

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Fly

Post by Fly »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Russ I can agree with that. I never argue with anyone. I look at forms as this as discussion & everyone has there opinion. Are we alway
Right? I,m not by any means. But some will never omit they were, just the way some are. There is usually truth on both sides. All I
ask is let’s trust in coach BV decisions & give this some rest. I just can not understand what good comes from negativity each week.
Even when we win, to continue to drive a point across. I saw a lot of negative with QB play Saturday. But I also saw a lot of great play also. No one is perfect but this is a team sport. You win as a team & you lose as a team. If the discussion was about a wrestling It
Is a whole different topic.

JMOHOP 🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
pippen

Post by pippen »

MontOUfan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:28 pm These teams are not so "inferior" that you can turn the ball over 6 times and have the number of penalties OU did and expect to be very successful. There is a very thin line between execution and breakdown in football. I agree that Sawchuk is getting back to his true running form, but there were at least two plays (including the 3rd TD to Stoops) that were a whisker from being blown-up because he whiffed on his pass-pro block. I am amused at how Lebby can go from genius to idiot and back to genius because of how players perform.
We may not be head and shoulders above KU and the Aggies, but we are significantly superior talent-wise. We would have won both of those games going away with better play-calling, despite the turnovers. Lebby is no genius. He seems unable to consistently call successful plays when tempo is interrupted or when game situations dictate tempo is not the right approach, including at (limited) times Saturday night. JMO. Maybe the light came on when the seat got hot. We'll see.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Great video! Love this

In Brent I Trust :D
KJinSkiatook

Post by KJinSkiatook »

OU Guy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:30 am Great video! Love this

Did you hear what the Morning Animals guys said about Mettauer's ejection? Said he might be the only player in football history to be ejected for "tussling the shoulder pad of an opposing player." I thought that was hilarious and extremely appropriate.
Living the dream…
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

What no-one has mentioned is that McCade was announced as the co-winner (with Stutsman) of the Bob Kelso Award before the game. I can't seem to find anything about it online but I believe they said it has to do with leadership, etc.

Kind of ironic and funny that one of the winners gets kicked out of the same game.
You shall not pass
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:05 pm What no-one has mentioned is that McCade was announced as the co-winner (with Stutsman) of the Bob Kelso Award before the game. I can't seem to find anything about it online but I believe they said it has to do with leadership, etc.

Kind of ironic and funny that one of the winners gets kicked out of the same game.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Great pickup by Sawchuk

Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Some bullet point thoughts:

Defense - The Good
  • Stutsman & Lewis need to be the starters at LB. They were fantastic.
  • Having Stutsman back on defense made a world of difference.
  • I think OU has had more goal line stands this season than they have had the past 10 combined! Fantastic effort!
Defense - The Not So Good
  • The DL inability to get pressure w/o stunting/twisting is concerning.
  • OU should just scrap the whole rush 3-drop 8 scheme. The lack of spatial or route concept awareness is astounding - especially when they are so good in other alignments & coverages.
Offense - The Good
  • Just about everything! Like most OU fans, I thought the offensive gameplan & performance was both exciting & frustrating. So, good job Lebby; however, as someone mentioned earlier, "where was this offense the last 3 weeks?" (and against SMU) Just very perplexing.
  • The QB run game - or just the threat of it - really opens up the rest of the offense. Don't need to run DG like he's Jamelle Hollieway, but a couple or 3 times each half gives the defense something else to think about.
  • Sawchuck looks to finally be healthy & has found his groove. His patience in letting the blocking develop has really improved. I think with him at RB1 & Walker at RB2, OU may have found this season's version of Anderson/Sermon from 2017.
  • Drake Stoops is going to make quite a bit of money in the NFL.
  • Great game Jacob Sexton! Another Schmitty offseason for him & Cayden Green (and Byrd) have me feeling a lot more comfortable about the OL next year.
Offense - The Not So Good
  • Someone mentioned it earlier, but some missed blitz pickups by RBs & some bad twist/stunt handoffs by the OL. Those are going to happen from time to time, but they did lead to DG did taking a couple of shots.
  • Not offense specifically, but maybe TBOW was onto something with fair catching everything? Returns are an adventure.
EMan

Post by EMan »

Brisket wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:35 am
  • Not offense specifically, but maybe TBOW was onto something with fair catching everything? Returns are an adventure.
I hear ya. But I suppose it comes down to having the right player doing the returns. Look at Marvin Mims for Denver. He leads the NFL in kick returns this season. Returning punts is definitely a specialty talent. With the right player it can be a major weapon. But no doubt this year it's been more of a liability than an asset so far.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Guys, in order to fair catch a punt you have to catch it.

Catching it is our problem.
You shall not pass
RussC

Post by RussC »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:56 pm Guys, in order to fair catch a punt you have to catch it.

Catching it is our problem.
Ha ha right. Sophomore slump for G Freeman for sure.
#Mentally In Portal