Was not pretty but a win.

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Oh yes, the field conditions hurt us way more than them. Took our aggresive defense away.

And of course some sloppy player play. One glaring example is that run JA had called back because Stogner messed up. That coukd have been difference luckily it wasn’t.
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...glad BYU is behind us.
I was reading where in 3 games, OU has lost 3 starting qb's.
Gabriel yesterday, Sam Bradford in 2009, and Garrick McGee in 1994. (McGee contracted spinal mengitis b4 the game & couldn't play.)

I'm doubtful Gabriel plays vs. TCU, but if we win, think we'll see him in either the Big 12 Title game or the Bowl.
But, maybe if he's going to declare for the draft, he'll choose to sit out the Bowl Game.
However it shakes out, the Jackson Arnold era has now begun.
Probably the most hyped freshman qb recruit I've seen since Jack Mildren.
Fully expect him to be "all that & a bag of chips"!

The horny toads have a bit of history taking cheap shots at OU qb's.
Expect a win no matter who's under center and the 10-2 season so many of us predicted will manifest.
The hot spotlight is now focused on Jackson Arnold. Your team now, kid.
The chinamen are ravenous! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
captnop

Post by captnop »

OU Guy wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:39 am Yes, BV said they did not prep for the type game Byu played. Took the blame.

Also, we are leaving and its obvious every team has spent extra time prepping. If any new B12 coukd beat us that elevates their program because next year there are 0 blue bloods in the conf. Knowing they can’t go far these teams give up practice time vs other teams to prep for OU. All it takes is a day a week over a month or so to use practicing vs OU.

We cannot discount the impact refs have either. The cost us the pokes game. And then just bad special teams play. Make that FG yesterday and the finish is calmer. Can’t recall how many missed vs our 2 losses but it hurts missing thoses. And our play calling was bad in 2 losses.

But to put a positive spin we are 9-2 and last year were 6-7. We can correct and improve some of the problems. Another class will add more depth. We’ve won close games this year that we lost last year.
They actually completely change their offense, different QB. Even changed their OL blocking schemes. Announcer kept talking about how they simplified everything. So whatever tapes/film OU looked at, it was all different Sat.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Baby steps

This was the first “one score game” win on the road for BV. We were 0-5 in other one score road games.

And we did it with defense and a raw qb and some great wr play. On a horrible field. With our best D player recovering from food poison. And without having a FG kicking game.

Want to win all games big but that win was good to see.
In Brent I Trust :D
captnop

Post by captnop »

No complaints. I really love DG, the kid came to OU sight unseen in our hour of need. If we didn't have him in 22 I think our 6-7 record is probably 2-10. That being said, I'm ready for the JFA era to begin. Nothing against DG, we will need what Jackson gives for SEC competition. On a side note, not sure what DG's NFL chances are. The kid sounds like a coach, GA/Offensive analyst Dillion Gabriel has a nice ring to it.
BigIslandSooner

Post by BigIslandSooner »

Hard to believe that Jackson Arnold would have been mentally prepared to play on such short notice, especially after all the red shirt talk recently, but he settled down and made some big throws/plays. Man his ball gets there in a hurry!
Jack Mildren is why I always wore #11
Fly

Post by Fly »

As Captnop said we were trying to adjust the defense on the fly. When I first started watching I thought this happens a lot. We will
adjust as we always do. They were moving defensive player all around.I don,t know enough to say what they did to throw us off
on defense that bad but it worked. But it took us till late in the third Quarter to get it right. But once we got it down we stopped
them. I don,t have the stat,s but I know most of there offense productivity was in the first half. Again we stopped our self time &
time again with pent-ally’s . I never felt we were in danger of losing.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

BigIslandSooner wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:57 am Man his ball gets there in a hurry!
:???:
DartmouthSooner

Post by DartmouthSooner »

We won the turnover battle and that made all the difference.

Also note, that Billy Bowman made two huge plays in a row.
He tackled their load of an RB at the two yard line, and then had the pick-6 on the next play.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

I really like Arnold, but we really need to get Gabriel back for TCU. They are playing well, and I just don't think we can beat them with Arnold starting.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

soonerindallas wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:49 pm I really like Arnold, but we really need to get Gabriel back for TCU. They are playing well, and I just don't think we can beat them with Arnold starting.
It would be good prep for 2024, so I am hopeful that if he does start he will benefit from the experience.
You shall not pass
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

BigIslandSooner wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:57 am Hard to believe that Jackson Arnold would have been mentally prepared to play on such short notice, especially after all the red shirt talk recently, but he settled down and made some big throws/plays. Man his ball gets there in a hurry!
The zip on his throws reminds me of Mayfield's...
aka Crimson47
Fly

Post by Fly »

I think JA will be just fine practicing with the first string. He talked to Lebby on the phone on that play where he could change the
play by reading what there defense was doing & elected to throw instead of keeping it. He will only get better in time. For a true
Freshman he played cool & sure of his self under those conditions.

OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I'm just curious Horsefly. You're a regular here during the season...
Yet, I notice you have only "thanked" for a post 1 Time. :dude:
So, you've only read 1 post you agreed with, thought was insightful, or enjoyed???

Or is there some other reason you don't thank anyone? :cool:
Again not a criticism, I''ve known you a long time and I'm curious.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
captnop

Post by captnop »

Fly wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:06 pm As Captnop said we were trying to adjust the defense on the fly. When I first started watching I thought this happens a lot. We will
adjust as we always do. They were moving defensive player all around.I don,t know enough to say what they did to throw us off
on defense that bad but it worked. But it took us till late in the third Quarter to get it right. But once we got it down we stopped
them. I don,t have the stat,s but I know most of there offense productivity was in the first half. Again we stopped our self time &

I thought I read somewhere that they had 40 total yards in the 4th.
RussC

Post by RussC »

captnop wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:53 pm
Fly wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:06 pm As Captnop said we were trying to adjust the defense on the fly. When I first started watching I thought this happens a lot. We will

I thought I read somewhere that they had 40 total yards in the 4th.
I double checked and it was worse:

At the start of the 4th OU had the ball, drove down and missed a chip shot FG.

BYU had only two drives in the 4th quarter, totalling 8 yards of offensive futility.

BYU drive: 12:17 to go: BYU took over on their 20, STUTSMAN sack+ fumble ended that drive. (5 yards.)

OU drive capped off by Sawchuck manly TD run.

BYU 7:57 to go: started at their 25. Punted from their 28. (3 yards.)
#Mentally In Portal