DeMarco Murray.....Possible OC for JL?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
AllSooner

DeMarco Murray.....Possible OC for JL?

Post by AllSooner »

There's a couple of threads over on Elitedawgs that are talking about DeMarco being the OC for Lebby. Anybody heard anything like that?
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

AllSooner wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:01 am There's a couple of threads over on Elitedawgs that are talking about DeMarco being the OC for Lebby. Anybody heard anything like that?
That would be interesting and not something I would have thought. Joe Jon is what I have heard the most.
You shall not pass
RussC

Post by RussC »

How would people view a coach who was OC but not play caller? How common of an arrangement is that? Under Riley, we had co-OCs, neither calling plays. When Lebby was at UCF and Ole Miss, he had OC title and pretended to be play caller, but Heupel and Kiffin actually called the plays. (Couldn’t resist that dig there.)
#Mentally In Portal
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:18 am
AllSooner wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:01 am There's a couple of threads over on Elitedawgs that are talking about DeMarco being the OC for Lebby. Anybody heard anything like that?
That would be interesting and not something I would have thought. Joe Jon is what I have heard the most.
They are talking JJF up too. Possibly a co-OC position. Most seem to want DM for his recruiting capabilities. Of course, they want to poach some of OU's recruits.

I don't usually give a crap about MBs of other teams, but I have a suspicion that JL is not the most noble guy in this picture. I subscribe to "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" concept.
BrngBkLilRed

Post by BrngBkLilRed »

Since Lebby will be calling the plays anyway OC is an unused position on the staff. DeMarco is valuable as a recruiting tool, naming him as OC shuffles some decent money to him for his services
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

On the face of it, it's hard for me to grasp. I realize that as a player, and later as a coach of running backs, you have to be knowledgeable in all aspects of the offense. But would he have the tools to craft and conduct a passing game along with his knowledge of the run game? Just doesn't seem likely to me, but I'm probably talking out of school--which I will readily fess up to.
Edit: Another poster has commented that he would be utilized more as a recruiter and just carry the OC moniker. I can certainly see them wanting to utilize his recruiting prowess...but to be an OC in name only? Still seems a bridge a bit far for me, but I guess you never know.
aka Crimson47
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I think JJF and DM are 2 very real possibliities. Also, I have read that JL was "kicking the tires" on our OL coach. The loss of all 3 would be a setback, but none of these (including JL) are too much to overcome for BV. I'm sure he and Joe C. have had conversations about "what if" and "best fit", not to mention the mountain of applications flooding the office right now.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
captnop

Post by captnop »

I could see DM maybe and JJF definitely because he and Lebby are good friends….. however, I would think if BB was leaving, he would’ve gone to USC. He made a comment at the time that his wife’s from here and his families here and he didn’t want to leave so I can’t imagine rooting everyone up to go to Mississippi.
captnop

Post by captnop »

Come on, y’all should know better than believing something you read on another message board. I have trouble believing half the stuff I read on here.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I may be wrong but I just don’t see him going. He is an OU star coaching at OU from another legacy OU coach. To throw that away and go join Lebby (with his reputation) would be a bad move imo. All for more $$$. I think he can get the co OC title here and get a bump in pay here.

Lebby is a real snake it appears, and is going to try and pillage our coaches, commits and recruits. I do understand the coaches, Brent brought some here from Clemson. But I think they wanted to come with him? Not sure how that worked if they lobbied him or what.

I know Brent did not chase Clemson recruits though, he only took Kanak after trying to get him to stay committed fo Clemson. Kanak was the one who told Dabo he wanted go come with BV and only then did BV take him after Dabo said he understood and was fine.
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

OU Guy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:40 am
I'm guessing this kind of rumor is just getting us warmed up for all the rumors that will be flying as more names appear, once the Portal opens.

It's fun to piece all this together, identify those that are blowhards spitting out rumors over and over vs. those with real contacts and offer meaningful information consistently.
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I don't know if JL and the OU coaches is truth or rumor (rumor according to OU Guy's copied Twitter post).

In keeping with the flying rumors, if this is not a photoshopped picture, this could be the source for a lot of fun for the Portal run and beyond:

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:32 am I don't know if JL and the OU coaches is truth or rumor (rumor according to OU Guy's copied Twitter post).

In keeping with the flying rumors, if this is not a photoshopped picture, this could be the source for a lot of fun for the Portal run and beyond:

Its fake. Lebby shaved his beard off
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

captnop wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:23 am Come on, y’all should know better than believing something you read on another message board. I have trouble believing half the stuff I read on here.
Right on! Where is MS getting the money for our coaches?