College Football Playoff Thread

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

Bottom post of the previous page:

...i DIDN'T/DON'T REALLY CARE WHO THIS FINAL, FINAL 4 CFP IS COMPRISED OF.
I'll be watching both games.

I was hoping for a closer game in the Big 12 Title Game.
But, the one thing i WAS REALLY HOPING FOR, was for texass to be left OUt!!! :hornsburning:
Alas, afraid I may be disappointed.
But if Sarkisian's shorthorns get in, will make it easy to decide who to pull for.

12 TEAM PLAYOFF in 2024!
Expecting Team 130 to be one of them! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

Texas got in when Bama beat Georgia.
The question is if FSU will get screwed over to keep the SEC champion in the playoff.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

So next year we have to be in the top 11 since G5 gets one in
walt

Post by walt »

If either Georgia or Bama gets into the playoff, it will create some upset fans. Michigan will be the #1 seed, and Washington will be the #2 seed.

I think that Bama and Texas are the best two of the rest of the playoff top eight teams, but my guess is that Texas will wind up as the #3 seed and FSU as the #4 seed. I think Bama is the best of the rest but leaving FSU out won't happen.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
TALSOONER

Post by TALSOONER »

many of you will remember back when multiple teams claimed to be NC each year. If FSU is left out of the CFP and wins their bowl game, Guess what ? They have a right to claim to be NCs... Some organization will even declare them so.

Good reason to include them.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Didn't the Committee state that it will pick the 4 "best" teams, not the 4 "most deserving" teams for the CFP? If so, that would tell me they will look at the "body of work" and not just "Win/Loss" records. And IF they did say that, will they have the gonads to do it?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

TALSOONER wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:52 am many of you will remember back when multiple teams claimed to be NC each year. If FSU is left out of the CFP and wins their bowl game, Guess what ? They have a right to claim to be NCs... Some organization will even declare them so.

Good reason to include them.
You are probably right , that if left out and ultimately undefeated FSU would claim a natty…But isnt that a good reason they would want to be left out? If in the CFP they lose a game 77 to 0 and are no longer undefeated….. :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini:
EMan

Post by EMan »

So the committee has to make a choice. And this is going to send a signal to the rest of college football. Are they basing the CFP on your body of work, or on "what have you done for me lately", i.e., the "eye test"? Yesterday, I think most college football fans would agree Bama looked really good. Taking down consensus #1 Georgia, and looking good doing it, was outstanding. Can't deny that. Texas* obviously didn't have quite the same test playing OSU, but they can only play who's put on the field in front of them, and their game with OSU was NEVER in doubt. The Horns also looked outstanding yesterday. And then there's Florida St. As far as the eye test goes, the Noles looked mediocre at best. Their defense played pretty well, but their offense was horrid. Yes, they were forced to play their 3rd string QB due to injuries, but it showed! IMO, they could no more have beaten Bama or Texas* yesterday than I could shoot par at Augusta.

So what does the committee do? Before we jump to any conclusions, let's think about this. Just last week, Bama looked like anything but a playoff contender. Let's be honest, only a complete miracle, or an epic failure depending on how you want to look at it, allowed the Tide to beat a crappy Auburn team. If you're doing the eye test, let's put that one on the table too. It's not like it happened in Week 2. It happened LAST week! Oh yeah, in Week 2, the Tide got beat at home by 10, by Texas*. So the way i see it, Texas* has to be in before Bama. Head-to-head HAS to mean something. I realize teams change over the season, but it's not like the Horns have fallen off the table. Yes, they struggled a few games down the stretch (TCU definitely made them sweat) but so did Bama, so for me, the head-to-head is the deciding factor.

So now i'm down to Bama or FSU. Again, based on yesterday, it would certainly appear to be Bama. But does the committee really want to send the signal that they consider the ACC to just be a mid-major conference? FSU went undefeated in a P5 conference. So does the committee justify Bama by saying, well, we all know the SEC is the toughest conference out there so even though their champion is a one-loss team, we've got to include them. I'll admit, it's a very tough decision to make. Perhaps the justification for leaving FSU out is the injury to their QB. That's a hard one to deny. The Noles are certainly not the same team with their backup QBs.

One final thing to think about though. I always try to be as objective as I can (admittedly not always possible when the Sooners are involved) but I don't have a dog in this hunt, so in situations like this, I try to turn things around and look at them from an OU perspective. If the Sooners were 13-0 and were excluded from the playoffs, yet TWO one-loss teams were in, I'd be outraged. And I'll also add, if you put ANY P5 team in that same position, their fanbases would be equally outraged. Put Bama or Texas* in FSU's place, and see what their fanbases would be arguing. If I look at it from that perspective, things change a little bit. But of course, that's exactly why we have a committee, to keep emotions and biases out of the equation even though we all know that can't be done. We all have our biases and unique perspectives. But no matter who gets in, SOMEONE is going to be outraged!

I have no idea which way the committee will go, but if I had to guess I believe Bama will get in. The "what have you done for me lately" factor appears to have the floor right now. But it's sure going to be a fairly tough sell excluding an undefeated P5 conference champion to include two one-loss teams. Get out the popcorn and prepare to be entertained. Some fanbase is going to melt down the internet today. And I can easily see their position, no matter who it is.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

We will know in 2 1/2 hours… :D

The result will tell us if politics rules the committee or not….. :eyes:
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

All very good points. This year's outcome WILL solidly reinforce the move to 12 teams.

Personally, I cannot justify leaving an undefeated P5, league champion out. For me, it comes down to choosing between texsa that beat Alabama (in week 2 though) vs. Alabama who beat the season-long, #1 ranked team yesterday.

The vote WILL be interesting. Since I hate texsa, I know how I am rooting, but does the "mighty" SEC count more than the head-to-head?
texsa sucks!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

EMan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:25 am So the committee has to make a choice. And this is going to send a signal to the rest of college football. Are they basing the CFP on your body of work, or on "what have you done for me lately", i.e., the "eye test"? Yesterday, I think most college football fans would agree Bama looked really good. Taking down consensus #1 Georgia, and looking good doing it, was outstanding. Can't deny that. Texas* obviously didn't have quite the same test playing OSU, but they can only play who's put on the field in front of them, and their game with OSU was NEVER in doubt. The Horns also looked outstanding yesterday. And then there's Florida St. As far as the eye test goes, the Noles looked mediocre at best. Their defense played pretty well, but their offense was horrid. Yes, they were forced to play their 3rd string QB due to injuries, but it showed! IMO, they could no more have beaten Bama or Texas* yesterday than I could shoot par at Augusta.
I have no idea which way the committee will go, but if I had to guess I believe Bama will get in. The "what have you done for me lately" factor appears to have the floor right now. But it's sure going to be a fairly tough sell excluding an undefeated P5 conference champion to include two one-loss teams. Get out the popcorn and prepare to be entertained. Some fanbase is going to melt down the internet today. And I can easily see their position, no matter who it is.
Kinda agree with your statement about the 'what have you done for me lately' factor. Yeah, Bama lost to Texas early in the season, but Bama just took down the team that's been a solid #1 for years.
For that reason, and plus their reluctance not to include an undefeated P5 conference champion....I'm guessing it will be:
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Fla St
4. Bama

Probably not fair, but I'm not sure that's ever been a concern of the committee anyway.
aka Crimson47
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:01 am
EMan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:25 am So the committee has to make a choice. And this is going to send a signal to the rest of college football. Are they basing the CFP on your body of work, or on "what have you done for me lately", i.e., the "eye test"? Yesterday, I think most college football fans would agree Bama looked really good. Taking down consensus #1 Georgia, and looking good doing it, was outstanding. Can't deny that. Texas* obviously didn't have quite the same test playing OSU, but they can only play who's put on the field in front of them, and their game with OSU was NEVER in doubt. The Horns also looked outstanding yesterday. And then there's Florida St. As far as the eye test goes, the Noles looked mediocre at best. Their defense played pretty well, but their offense was horrid. Yes, they were forced to play their 3rd string QB due to injuries, but it showed! IMO, they could no more have beaten Bama or Texas* yesterday than I could shoot par at Augusta.
Kinda agree with your statement about the 'what have you done for me lately' factor. Yeah, Bama lost to Texas early in the season, but Bama just took down the team that's been a solid #1 for years.
For that reason, and plus their reluctance not to include an undefeated P5 conference champion....I'm guessing it will be:
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Fla St
4. Bama

Probably not fair, but I'm not sure that's ever been a concern of the committee anyway.
Bama beating 6-6 Auburn was a fluke……and Auburn was stomped by New Mexico St…..it is an off year for Bama and the whole SEC…georgia never played anyone away from home till they lost to Bama…..just reporting the facts…..IDC how this plays out just hoping next year we win it all…. :ou:
Last edited by Zgeo on Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrngBkLilRed

Post by BrngBkLilRed »

[/quote]
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Fla St
4. Bama
[/quote]

Have to agree, #1 & 2, no argument. #3 I don't care if a cheerleader was in as QB they found a way to go undefeated and win their conference. Bama is a one loss team that took down Georgia to win the SEC. The horns have the weakest body of work.
Now if I'm Florida State I could see calling the committee and saying "how about a nice NY6 bowl and we won't argue", it would be better for their program to publicly be outraged that they were left out than to go to the semifinals and get gutted
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Are we going to have a separate "Watch Party" thread for the Announcements like a "game thread"?
Or is that what this thread is supposed to be?
aka Crimson47
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I think it will be

Wash
Mich
Tx
Fsu

Bama lost head to head to tx by 10. They should have lost to Aub.

What we don’t know is what the committee does. They are not football fans like us they are administrators so its a wildcard.

If tx gets left out I’d love that, don’t wnat them in for recrutiting reasons.
In Brent I Trust :D
TALSOONER

Post by TALSOONER »

I know it's not supposed to be a criteria for selecting , but if Mich is 1, wash is 2, who would we like to see them play ? FSU would be run out of town by either. GA would beat both. AL would beat Wash but lose to Mich. AND TX "who knows" ? :)

Without a QB FSU I s NOT good (best) enough to be selected.....GA lost when they are supposed to be at their best, late season, and are not conf champs....

I'd select AL and TX to attract bigger audiences ! Mich vs AL, Wash vs TX.. then TX vs AL rematch.

TX wins again for great outcome heading into SEC. I know, I hate for TX to shine, but I hate the SEC arrogance more....