College Football Playoff Thread

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
RussC

Post by RussC »

Bottom post of the previous page:

StatesEye wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:19 pm TRAVESTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad it didn't happen to Texas.

I hate this season. :crackthewhip:
We can console ourselves with the purging of the Lebby.
#Mentally In Portal
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Random thoughts:

It pays to have a good “ready and prepared” backup qb. Next year we have JA but Hawkins will be a great backup. We’ll be in great shape qb wise. And in 2 years we’ll have Sperry join the crowd.

Feel bad for FSU. They won all games plus their Conf title game.

This shows the power of SEC and the good news is we’ll get the nod if we have 3 losses and fighting for a top 12 playoff spot.

OU likely gets a NY6 game, possibly vs tOSU in Cotton Bowl. Will be fun to see JA have a fully prepared game vs great talent, plus our new OC in action. This will help us for recruiting too.

I have to root for Washington to win it all. Tired of Bama. Do not want Michigan. Tx is self explanatory. Go Huskies!!
In Brent I Trust :D
RussC

Post by RussC »

DG opts out? Or portals out?
#Mentally In Portal
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:27 pm Random thoughts:

It pays to have a good “ready and prepared” backup qb. Next year we have JA but Hawkins will be a great backup. We’ll be in great shape qb wise. And in 2 years we’ll have Sperry join the crowd.

Feel bad for FSU. They won all games plus their Conf title game.

This shows the power of SEC and the good news is we’ll get the nod if we have 3 losses and fighting for a top 12 playoff spot.

OU likely gets a NY6 game, possibly vs tOSU in Cotton Bowl. Will be fun to see JA have a fully prepared game vs great talent, plus our new OC in action. This will help us for recruiting too.

I have to root for Washington to win it all. Tired of Bama. Do not want Michigan. Tx is self explanatory. Go Huskies!!
Best news from the playoff decision is that UGA can't win three-in-a-row, and their mounting consecutive wins are finished. I'm not shocked that they put txass into the mix, but I wish they played Bama or Michigan first. Oh well, maybe Washington can get 'em. I'll be going to a Washington sports bar to watch the game, most likely. Go Huskies!
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

This is one of 2 CFP lineups i predicted. But I thought it more like;y that Bama would have been left out. Reason being bama looked terrible against Auburn…. And Auburn just got stomped by New Mexico State the week before…..

Just shows how much power the SEC has over the CFP committee…..
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:01 pm
I agree completely with this statement by the FSU AD. Do I think FSU is one of the 4 best teams, probably not. Do I think they should have been in the playoff? Absolutely. Because unlike Bama, they earned their way in with an undefeated season.

He nailed it here - "Wins matter. Losses matter . . . Today, they changed the way success is assessed in college football, from a tangible metric - winning on the field -- to an intangible, subjective one. Evidently, predicting the future matters more . . . They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field."

Given the way the season played out, Alabama lost their right to be in the playoff when they lost to Texas, and Georgia lost their right to be in when they lost to Bama. Either of those teams win those games, and no one questions whether the SEC gets a team in. But they didn't. FSU never lost their right to be in the playoff. They won every game. The committee has said "the games don't matter, just our feelings." Or, possibly, "just the SEC clout and eyeballs and dollars matter." By the metric the committee used, then if a heavy underdog wins a playoff game, the favorite would still advance because "they were 'better', they just didn't win."

Georgia might blow FSU out or Bama might win it all, and the committee can say "See, we were right." But no, even if both those things happen, they weren't right. One of the purposes of the BCS/CFP was to try to take subjectivity out of the equation. Alford is right - "The committee failed college football today."
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

UCF was left out of the playoffs in 2017 even though they were the only undefeated FBS team.

They also had a better strength of schedule that season than FSU did this year.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Just as long as Texas isn't NC!! Ugh.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Up North Sooner wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:36 pm UCF was left out of the playoffs in 2017 even though they were the only undefeated FBS team.

Correct! UCF played in a minor conference in ‘17. FSU played in a minor conference this year. I have no problem with this.

In my opinion, the Pac12/B10/ACC failed college football when the delayed the playoff expansion to next year.
#Mentally In Portal
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

RussC wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:51 pm
Up North Sooner wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:36 pm UCF was left out of the playoffs in 2017 even though they were the only undefeated FBS team.

Correct! UCF played in a minor conference in ‘17. FSU played in a minor conference this year. I have no problem with this.

In my opinion, the Pac12/B10/ACC failed college football when the delayed the playoff expansion to next year.
Agree with this. Basically, Bama getting in (as deserved) allowed texas in. I think Washington will give texas everything they can handle. Penix will probably win the heisman and he is the best QB in the playoffs. If they capitalize on passing the ball down the field, they can beat texas. Ewers is just slightly above average and will not be able to "win" in a critical situation (unlike Penix).

But, I'm guessing Bama wins the whole thing regardless.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

RussC wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:51 pm

Which IMO brings us around to the biggest mistake made in college football, which is going to 12 teams instead of 8, which ABSOLUTELY CHEAPENS THE REGULAR SEASON! 8 teams gets the job done, but still leaves the importance of regular season. With eight teams, you have very few if any 2-loss teams. All teams would still realize that you can't screw up twice, and still have a chance to play for the NC. That realization provides the motivation to play your best in regular season games.

Oh well, yes I realize that I'm pi*sing into the wind with that complaint, realizing that the damage is already done, so I'M JUST SAYIN'.
Last edited by inconnu on Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

TBH we all know that last year when DG was out due to concussion we were not the same team and had no chance of winning against a team with a pulse. Is it really so hard to apply that knowledge to this years FSU situation. Louisville was terrible, Florida gave away their game against FSU. FSU was not going to provide a competitive playoff game, that is why the CFP committee has that key player absent criteria……..

FSU still has a chance to go undefeated for the post season and then put up their own natty ….. FSU got the orange bowl which should be great for them and their fans…..

There is always something like the year TCU was 2 but was excluded due to no CCG. Fair is where they put a blue ribbon on a pig…..
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Zgeo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:59 pm TBH we all know that last year when DG was out due to concussion we were not the same team and had no chance of winning against a team with a pulse. Is it really so hard to apply that knowledge to this years FSU situation. Louisville was terrible, Florida gave away their game against FSU. FSU was not going to provide a competitive playoff game, that is why the CFP committee has that key player absent criteria……..

FSU still has a chance to go undefeated for the post season and then put up their own natty ….. FSU got the orange bowl which should be great for them and their fans…..

There is always something like the year TCU was 2 but was excluded due to no CCG. Fair is where they put a blue ribbon on a pig…..
Agree with this. I think alot of the talking heads want it both ways. First, we say put the best teams in, then we say, now hang on, we have sympathy for what FSU is facing, so hey, throw them a bone. At some point we have to align one way (sentiment) or another (reality). If being undefeated against a mediocre schedule is so important - throw Liberty in the 4 team playoff. You say, no they are G5? Well heck, that shouldn't matter - they won every game on their schedule, that should count for something. G5 diff to P5 matters but not ACC diff to SEC? Who says?

I guess I'm just getting really fed up with our culture of relativism. I'm being pushed into a bit of jerk mindset, but I think it is the right one. That mindset is quit all this sentiment crap and be honest with reality. Stop telling people they get a participation award when they haven't earned one. Stop making excuses and saying that something that in reality is weaker is actually stronger. It isn't. Call things honestly. Yes, in some situations it is a little more difficult, but don't make a bunch of excuses. Its a bad deal that FSU's QB got knocked out. Bradford got knocked out Game 1 in 2009 or that team may have played for an NC and won it all. Life stinks sometimes. It just is the way it is. FSU now is a weak team not deserving of a spot just like Liberty isn't deserving of a spot. I'm not 100% Michigan even deserves a spot over Georgia - their SOS is about even though I suppose.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

StatesEye wrote:TRAVESTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad it didn't happen to Texas.

I hate this season. :crackthewhip:
These users thanked the author

POST of The Day!!!!
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I wonder how many NFL eligible players on OU's team will ditch the bowl game with Arizona. Anybody have a feel for that, or knowledge about it?
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

inconnu wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:25 pm I wonder how many NFL eligible players on OU's team will ditch the bowl game with Arizona. Anybody have a feel for that, or knowledge about it?
I'm kind of hoping that the culture that BV is building will mean that fewer and fewer will sit out bowls (similar to Clemson where rarely any player sits out).