Texas Had To Be Put In So Bama Could Get In

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Bottom post of the previous page:

All I see on the news is AI this, AI that. This would be a perfect situation to use artificial intelligence and have a disinterested and non-emotional system selection process.

I have never been a fan of polls, they are too prone to outside influences and think some sort of automated selection would be best.

Edit - the NFL seems to succeed without polls. Why can’t college?
You shall not pass
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

What 4 would the BCS have picked??? Just a formula no politics no personalities
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

RussC wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:03 pm Welcome to the Power Two
Boy ain't that the truth! Of the Top 15 teams in the rankings, only #5 FSU (ACC), #14 AZ (Big12), & #15 ND (Ind) will not be in the Big 10 or SEC next season.

This CFP committee has probably done more to make the college football "Premier League" a reality than any other person or group on recent history.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

BCS would have been 1 Mich 2 Wash 3 bama 4 fsu

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/bc ... 23-season/

So BCS doesn’t honor head to head and heavyweights based on polls…..so not the answer either

Go to 16 team payoff
RussC

Post by RussC »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:44 am All I see on the news is AI this, AI that. This would be a perfect situation to use artificial intelligence and have a disinterested and non-emotional system selection process.

I have never been a fan of polls, they are too prone to outside influences and think some sort of automated selection would be best.

Edit - the NFL seems to succeed without polls. Why can’t college?
College could succeed without polls by adopting several things from the NFL: players under contract, collective bargaining, payroll caps, strong commissioner…
#Mentally In Portal
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

RussC wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:15 am
Gandalf wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:44 am Edit - the NFL seems to succeed without polls. Why can’t college?
College could succeed without polls by adopting several things from the NFL: players under contract, collective bargaining, payroll caps, strong commissioner…
The difference is they are structured so very differently, the NFL operates as a unit, maybe technically 32 businesses, but in some ways it operates as a single business, where the welfare of the whole outweighs the welfare of any of its 32 parts. If the Dallas Cowboys fold up shop, that affects every other team in the league, financially and in other ways. College football has never been that way. Individual teams are not dependent on every other team. They join together in conferences, and now more than ever those conferences seek to consolidate power and money. If that means destroying another conference so be it. Or if one team can help itself by switching conferences, even if that means hamstringing the conference it left behind, they'll do it to survive, or just to improve their position. But no one is looking out for the health of college football as a whole. RussC lists some good ideas above, but could you get the SEC and the B1G to agree to anything that weakened their current power/financial base?
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
RussC

Post by RussC »

Old NFL and old AFL created Super Bowl to pit their champs against each other. SEC and B10 could expand to 32 teams each and do their own College Super Bowl.
#Mentally In Portal
Pebblebeachguy

Post by Pebblebeachguy »

I would rather have a computer algo or AI based selection that criteria understood by every team in advance than a small group of at best un knowledgeable and whimsical and at worst, biased and corrupt.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

walt wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:31 am I have a lot of fear about how the 12-team playoff will be more prone to corruption such as this one with FSU. I think that an eight or sixteen-team playoff would be much better. Yes, I know a sixteen playoff would be hard on players, but it could be fair. You seed a 12-team playoff and you will wind up with the top seeds a huge advantage. The top seeds will have multiple advantages compared with the bottom seeds.
I share your concerns. That's why I always thought 8 teams would be better. Now, with NIL and the transfer portal nonsense, widespread parity might even become an issue. Could it be that we might eventually have a 64-team tournament like basketball?? (Just kidding... sorta.)
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Pokerman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:16 pmCould it be that we might eventually have a 64-team tournament like basketball?? (Just kidding... sorta.)
You know, a few years ago, I would have said this is just crazy, and yes I still think 64 would be overdoing it, but the FCS sends 24 teams to the playoffs, and with NIL and no one pretending they care about school anymore, and the CFP committee so blatantly pandering to the SEC anyway, why not just open it way up? The NFL sends 14 of 32 teams to the playoffs. Just go to 16 (or 32?) teams and send every conference champion and several at-large bids. I used to adhere to the idea that it would cheapen the regular season, where every game counts, but that's all pretty much out the window now too.

I don't like all the changes in the game, but realize they're here anyway, no matter what this cranky old man thinks.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

While the fans may like a larger field of playoff teams, say 64, the Bowl Boys would absolutely hate it. While some may think the bowls could still be used, the logistics of such a feat would be a nightmare. You wouldn't which teams would advance until the week before making travel arrangements for the fans incredibly difficult. A given schedule during the season makes it easy to arrange travel, lodging, your time, etc. I can't wait to see what the logistics looks like for a 12 team playoff ......the travel, lodging, getting time, cash required, etc. will still stretch the fan's ability to attend. At least in the March Madness, multiple games can be played on the same court in a matter of hours.....not weeks that football will require.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Any one with eyes can see that TV money is directing all of this. Interesting, the NFL banded together long ago to protect themselves form network vultures and direct terms on their behalf.

We are moving to a 32 to 40 team league. Clear as freaking day. And all of it is being dictated by the entertainment industry. At some point, these college football programs will realize that a coalition will be in their best interests.

LOL. From the NCAA to the Wild West to the NFL-lite.....all in a generation.

We vote for it in the purest sense of democracy known......with our :eyes: and $$$$$$$.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

And to think.

NCAA vs Board of Regents for the University of Oklahoma started all of this.

Be careful what you ask for.
walt

Post by walt »

Yes, it was OU and Georgia are the two schools that took on the NCAA and won, and here we are today with all this money in the games.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
Pebblebeachguy

Post by Pebblebeachguy »

ESPN, and those that serve it, believe that what is good for the SEC is good for College Football, the Country and their wallets.

Maybe they’re right. If the SEC champ was left out, about 50% of College football fans would criticize the selections, network ratings would suffer and the eventual national champion’s title legitimacy would be challenged.

Glad were moving to the most influential college conference next year.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Pebblebeachguy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:58 am ESPN, and those that serve it, believe that what is good for the SEC is good for College Football, the Country and their wallets.

Maybe they’re right. If the SEC champ was left out, about 50% of College football fans would criticize the selections, network ratings would suffer and the eventual national champion’s title legitimacy would be challenged.

Glad were moving to the most influential college conference next year.
Just to add:

In Brent I Trust :D