My Recap

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

My Recap

Post by OU Guy »

We'll be fine. It's not end of the world, as fans we want to win all games but the bigger picture is more important. What can we glean from the game?

I'll start with a post by David Stone, who has great perspective

But what worked last night? Lots. For one side note, we have us a punter! He was awesome and is being overlooked due to the outcome. Another, our Defense played great. When one looks at what they had to overcome and then realized they gave up only 1 long drive all night it was nice to see. This is a #14 team who will be ranked top 10, and had 3 close losses all year (2 in OT) and OU was the way better team if you take away the turnovers.

Our defense played great and put so much pressure on them time after time. We had 5 counted sacks but a few more where we took the penalty instead.

Honestly, if DG had played last night we win. But, that would do us no good going into next year. JA got some great reps and after bad start he played great. I give a pass to the late game, due to Arizona knowing we had to pass and that changed coverages.

This play should excite all fans:

With so many changes to the roster and OC, yet we were the better team less 6 turnovers - there is lots to like about 2024. Had we won, then everyone is giddy and no one takes the problems as serious. This loss will reap future rewards. For one, all 3 losses were due to turnovers. We'll have a new system next year and hopefully can correct the turnovers with some new blood. We basically had 2 RB's last night, one a walkon in the portal and then Sawchuk who got dinged up during the game so we went pass happy to save him some reps. We lost our center during the game and had a rookie there. We had so many things to overcome and then a true freshman starting for the first time.

Lets look at another QB and compare:

Quinn Ewers first 300 yard game: (Oklahoma State in his 5th start)

19/49
319 yards
2 TDs
3 INTs

Jackson Arnold first 300 yard game: (Arizona in his 1st start)

26/45
361 yards
2 TDs
3 INTs

That's to show you how things need to be kept in perspective. Jackson is going to be fine and they can use all the game film to clean up in off season. We'll have another true freshman to back him up next year who by all accounts will be great too. I can't stress enough how many obstacles we had to overcome last night and we were the better team from the eye test, but we handed the game to Arizona. Losing will motive and teach in off season.

Lets look the game and plays and some key notes series by series:

AZ FG 0-3: We gave up a 40 yard pass play but then held to the FG.

OU INT: We came out passing 3 times. The 2nd pass to Drake should have been caught for a first down but he bobbled and didn't make the play. Then JA made a pass just too slow and intercepted at the 35.

AZ TD 0-10: One play and they torched us

OU Punt: 2 passes and 1 run we got 6 yards and punted to the 11 yard line.

AZ Punt: 7 plays and punted. Key was on 3rd down they were in FG range and we sacked for -3 yards but they held. So we pushed them back 10 yards by penalty instead which I was leery of at the time. But then incomplete pass on the redo so they punted and we won that decision.

OU INT: This was the sideline pass 24 yards upfield and JA was late in the throw and defender made a great play. It was now things looked bleak but prior to the INT JA was finally finding his groove. Recall that he hit Stogner for a first down but Sexton was called for holding so it backed us up, which the INT was on 2-18.

AZ FG 0-13: 12 plays but our defense held and forced a FG.

OU TD 7-13: 10 plays and 75 yards, this is when we started to change the game. We overcame oline downfield (5 yards made it 1-15) but this series was mostly passing but Sawchuk ran the last play in from 18 yards out for the TD.

AZ INT: Walker got the INT on the 2nd play and now we're in business with the ball at their 34 yard line. Momentum had shifted to OU for sure

OU Fumble: Well, on the very first play we had a 26 yard gain but Farooq fumbled the ball and that took the air out of our comeback. Could have went up right then. This mattered later.

AZ Punt: 7 plays and gave up a 42 yard play but we got a 12 yard sack that pushed them back to the 41 on a 3rd down play and forced a punt vice FG. This is the 2nd series we stopped a score by our D (so it's 13-7 instead of 19-7).

OU TD 14-13: 6 plays and 92 yards. Key play was a 62 yard Sawcuk run. Also we held on 2-1 at their 19 and pushed us back to 29, but then JA scrambled for 19 yards and 1st down. Then JA made that terrific pass running sideways and against his body to Nic who made a terrific catch right inside the the EZ side.

AZ Punt: 3 and out gave us the ball back with 1:27 left to half

OU Punt: This was a badly managed series by OU. We got 6 plays in yet ran on the first 3, which was bad coaching. We ended up wasting so much time then decided to try adn pass but JA got sacked since AZ went to max coverage. Our punter had to punt on 4th down and put it at the 1 but that was end of first half.

Second Half:

OU TD 21-13: We can out and rushed Freeman for 12 yards. On the next play JA hit Thompson for a 63 yard TD pass. This is a pass that DG doesn't make and it hit him in stride and allowed him to scored the TD. Perfect pass. This is one thing we can look forward to next year.

AZ Punt: 6 plays and a punt. Great by D who has been doing great since the early start.

OU FG 24-13: 12 plays and 84 yards. We had 1st and goad at 5, and ran GS for 1 yard, then ran GS for 0 yards, then rushed JA for 0 yards and then kicked FG. What a wasted last series. Could have stretched lead to 28-13 but settled for 24-13. Missed opportunities combined with last series in first half. At this point we have total control of game and they are out of it

AZ Punt: 3 plays 0 yards and punt. D again!!

OU Punt: 3 plays 1 yard. Missed chance to take it to them.

AZ Punt: 3 plays 7 yards and punt. D again!

OU 24-21 Fumble 6: This was the game changer. All things being equal, this was our game and we were going in for the kill shot. 7 plays and 61 yards we're at the 23 yard line and make a great pass to Farooq. He fumbles it and they took back for TD and now the game has turned. At this point I knew we would lose, as all energy shifted to AZ who we had completely shut down. They got a free 8 points and that energized them.

OU INT: Bad pass by JA, and that's all she wrote at this point

AZ FG 24-24: Amazingly our D held them to -9 yards (sack pushed them way back) and they kicked a FG. Technically we're still in it but we all knew this was not going to end well.

OU Punt: 5 plays and 23 yards but a key Stogner holding penalty pushed us to 3-15 and we did get 11 back but had to punt. Another mistake. But our punter nailed them back to 5 yard line!

AZ TD 31-24: 6 plays and 95 yards, our D had held them all game long and this was the only series that AZ went full field for a TD. Can't blame our D they played lights out most of the night

OU Fumble: Sexton had a holding that pushed us back to 1-20 and that forced the need to pass, and AZ pinned their ears back. We had another hold declined and it was 3-20 meaning JA needed time to get someone open and he got sacked and fumbled the ball. That was that.

AZ TD 38-24: 2 plays 19 yards.

OU Downs: It was over already

Anyway, we had the better team. We can fix the problems. We needed the reps for our QB and one thing we saw is he can sling the ball. He learned the speed of college is much faster, and that will help him off season. I feel bad for him but he took the blame and to me the biggest loss reason was Farooq. His fumbles not only cost us 14 points it gave them 7. That's a 21 point swing just on him. That alone makes it OU 38-31 all else being equal (just adding 14 to us and taking 7 away from them). But it would have given us a 31-13 lead vice 24-21 just on one play alone.

Lastly, this is great leadership by Stuts, and we're lucky to have him come back:

In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

OU Guy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:56 pm We'll be fine. It's not end of the world, as fans we want to win all games but the bigger picture is more important. What can we glean from the game?
I love your take and totally agree. I can handle the JA mistakes as they were expected and probably could have been overcome. What I have a hard time with are the 2 Farooq fumbles. He is a third year guy and 2 games this season has cost us massively with ball insecurity. Not sure why he was out there on the field really after the first fumble. The second was a dagger that took us from leading 31-13 to being 24-20.

Also, along with the massively inopportune turnovers in our losses, we have had major inopportune injuries. Tawee getting hurt before Down's last interception in the KU game lost us that game. Stutsman and other not playing in the OSU game (and having the inopportune turnovers as well) killed us in that game.

Last night I think Sawchuck reinjured something and wasn't full strength - but that alone didn't do us in. Definitely the turnovers last night.

I think we have a ton to be optimistic about. I do wish I had more confidence that players would start playing with more discipline. Aside from the inopportune injuries and turnovers (which is discipline related), we have major inopportune penalties. 7 holding calls against the Oline is just bad. Now, some could be blamed on JA holding the ball too long, but the patchwork oline did most definitely contribute to the loss putting us behind the chains repeatedly and often wiping away first down plays.

Discipline has GOT to get better next year.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:52 pm
OU Guy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:56 pm We'll be fine. It's not end of the world, as fans we want to win all games but the bigger picture is more important. What can we glean from the game?
I love your take and totally agree. I can handle the JA mistakes as they were expected and probably could have been overcome. What I have a hard time with are the 2 Farooq fumbles. He is a third year guy and 2 games this season has cost us massively with ball insecurity. Not sure why he was out there on the field really after the first fumble. The second was a dagger that took us from leading 31-13 to being 24-20.

Also, along with the massively inopportune turnovers in our losses, we have had major inopportune injuries. Tawee getting hurt before Down's last interception in the KU game lost us that game. Stutsman and other not playing in the OSU game (and having the inopportune turnovers as well) killed us in that game.

Last night I think Sawchuck reinjured something and wasn't full strength - but that alone didn't do us in. Definitely the turnovers last night.

I think we have a ton to be optimistic about. I do wish I had more confidence that players would start playing with more discipline. Aside from the inopportune injuries and turnovers (which is discipline related), we have major inopportune penalties. 7 holding calls against the Oline is just bad. Now, some could be blamed on JA holding the ball too long, but the patchwork oline did most definitely contribute to the loss putting us behind the chains repeatedly and often wiping away first down plays.

You make some good points.

Something else that continues to mystify me is how our receivers are always covered like blankets while our opponents are running free with no defender within 5 yards of them. Our their receivers just better than ours? Are their DB's just better than ours. We think ours are better athletes, but are they really? If so, do we have a coaching issue with one group or the other? I would like to know if anyone else has any thoughts on this.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Pokerman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:05 pm
SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:52 pm

You make some good points.

Something else that continues to mystify me is how our receivers are always covered like blankets while our opponents are running free with no defender within 5 yards of them. Our their receivers just better than ours? Are their DB's just better than ours. We think ours are better athletes, but are they really? If so, do we have a coaching issue with one group or the other? I would like to know if anyone else has any thoughts on this.
Thats a good point about our WR separation. Not only that but when JA had all day to make a pass (when Zona rushed 3 and dropped 8) you didn't see any WRs trying to come back to get open (or maybe I just couldn't see it on the TV). I think our WR coach is a stud, and we did have that same issue last year, so maybe it is just taking a bit to coach them up and we will make a big up turn in WR play next year. But we need the WRs to really work on getting separation and getting open.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

The OBVIOUS.......................way to many turnovers or we win goin away!
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Fly

Post by Fly »

I can answer that for you poker, watch the replay, & think back how the game played out. First they knew we had a true freshman.
They scored early after taking the ball first. They tried blitzing JA early but our OL kept that from working, but he was nervous early.
They got up two scores on us. So they gave up the blitz & played three defensive linemen knowing we were not going to run the ball
& played back covering our receivers like a blanket. That’s when JA thew into tight coverage & got pitted off. We finally started the
Run game having some success. Our defense was blitzing but even throw we knocking there QB to the ground he was still completing his
throws.Our constant pressure finally prevailed.if we had kept our run game going they would have had to put more men up front. But
Our play calling stop the run & they went back to play back off the line & blanketing our receivers. Man that is why I got jacked about
the play calling. Man I never do that, but it was so obvious. Go back & look how many times they run a three man front on against our OL. The rest are in pass cover.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

This is every pass or play by Jackson. 8 minutes long but you can see the talent. True freshman who had very few meaningful snaps this year. Even BYU was just managing the win not really going to move ball and score. And was in stable situation with OC and rest of players who had not left yet.

You do not need to sign up just click the Youtube link amd watch it.

Fly

Post by Fly »

Thanks OU Guy. That shows how well JA played. But our lack of a running game is killing us. Imagine if we had a great running game
to go with our passing game, no one can defend both at the same time. Like I said, AZ ran a three man defensive front most of
The second haft & dropped everyone to blanket our receivers. We recruited some running backs, but we need t get some in the
trade that can come right in & help.

Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

Fly wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:56 pm Thanks OU Guy. That shows how well JA played. But our lack of a running game is killing us. Imagine if we had a great running game
to go with our passing game, no one can defend both at the same time. Like I said, AZ ran a three man defensive front most of
The second haft & dropped everyone to blanket our receivers. We recruited some running backs, but we need t get some in the

We rushed 34 times for 201 yards in the bowl game. That's an average of 5.9 yards per attempt. Not too shabby at all.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Up North Sooner wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:16 am
Fly wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:56 pm Thanks OU Guy. That shows how well JA played. But our lack of a running game is killing us. Imagine if we had a great running game

We rushed 34 times for 201 yards in the bowl game. That's an average of 5.9 yards per attempt. Not too shabby at all.
109 yards of that, however, were on 4 carries. The other 30 carries netted 90 yards. Hardly sufficient for ball control.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Ya you are right but you need to go watch ikard & Teddy. Teddy made the statement he had more turn over this year than TD,s. You
Question my statement on his turn over rate. Dude I do not know why you want to attack me? That I don,t do that to you. If you
Continue, I will just leave. I,m as up set as any here. But don,t take it out on me. What I said about his turn overs was spot on. He
Is a heck of a runner, but he cost the team this game. Go watch Ikard & Teddys show that just today came out.It is turn overs that has killed our season this year. It make no difference how many yard you make if you give the opponent the ball over& over I,m threw taking
To you about this.

Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

Fly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:21 am Ya you are right but you need to go watch ikard & Teddy. Teddy made the statement he had more turn over this year than TD,s. You
Question my statement on his turn over rate. Dude I do not know why you want to attack me? That I don,t do that to you. If you
Continue, I will just leave. I,m as up set as any here. But don,t take it out on me. What I said about his turn overs was spot on. He
Is a heck of a runner, but he cost the team this game. Go watch Ikard & Teddys show that just today came out.It is turn overs that has killed our season this year. It make no difference how many yard you make if you give the opponent the ball over& over I,m threw taking
To you about this.

Not sure if that is meant for me, but I'm not attacking you or anyone else. Just posted some stats, then Pokerman clarified them a bit. I don't see either as an attack.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...nobody wants Venables to succeed more than I do. NOBODY!!!
He's had a special place with me ever since he took the CR on a personally guided tour of the new (at the time) OKLAHOMA facilities many years ago.

OU Guy hits the nail on the head stating that in ALL 3 losses this season the OKLAHOMA SOONERS were the BETTER FOOTBALL TEAM!

I think you could make a case that the OKLAHOMA SOONERS were the BETTER FOOTBALL TEAM in 4 or 5 of the 7 losses in 2022.

So, the SOONERS IMO, have been the BETTER FOOTBALL TEAM in at least 6 or 7 of the 10 losses they've suffered under Venables. :confusedplus:

While we all understand the BETTER FOOTBALL TEAM doesn't ALWAYS WIN a game, all things being equal-THE BETTER TEAMS WIN MOST OF THE TIME!

If a BETTER FOOTBALL TEAM defeats OKLAHOMA, (and the SOONERS play well) I can live with that.
And I've had to over the course of my life as an OU fan.
(I've also been fortunate watching OKLAHOMA defeat BETTER FOOTBALL TEAMS more than a time or two.) SOONER MAGIC! :dude:

I'm less forgiving regarding losses to INFERIOR FOOTBALL TEAMS, especially if there seems to be a pattern of frequent occurence.
Unfortunately, I think I'm beginning to see such a pattern developing.

Coach Venables WAS AND IS the right man as HC of the SOONERS.
I fully and firmly believe that!

His recruiting efforts and success are stark testimony to his ability to motivate and inspire those who accept his challenge to play football at OKLAHOMA.
His career achievements are undeniable and noteworthy.
Can't think of anyone else I'd want leading OU into the SEC.

Most of us expect the SEC sledding to be a little tougher than was the Big 12.
I'm prepared now to give Venables 5 years (instead of 3) in his intention to create "Culture" and re-instill a winning mindset for the program.
But, I'll be paying attention next Fall for further examples of losing games to lesser football teams. (Hopeful there won't be many if any)

I consider the OKLAHOMA SOONERS a college football program of the same stature as Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio St., Michigan, Notre Dame.
These type programs seldom lose to lesser teams.
OKLAHOMA shouldn't either. :cool:

"Show me a good loser...and I'll show you a loser!!!

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
boomermet

Post by boomermet »

Just hope Seth are watching the Ole Miss Penn State game on how to use the tight end in ur offense. We just seem to use them as blockers.