Alabama

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

inconnu wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:31 am
Zgeo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:46 am Saban will hang on as long as possible like old what’s his name did at FSU, but with all the changes dynasty time is over….. :surrender:
I wouldn't be surprised if Saban is still relevant for several years to come. His recruiting isn't slipping at all. I am NOT a Bama fan, but I think his reign is far from over. Dude is the GOAT for college football.
He can stay relevant , but the domination is gone ….first with Georgia besting Bama, and now the portal, 12 team playoff, and NIL are lots of new things that work against any one team dominating like Saban used to do…..
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

There are rumors afloat that Satan may be thinking about retirement.
Alabama Football: Nick Saban Retirement Rumors Heat Up
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

AllSooner wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:24 pm There are rumors afloat that Satan may be thinking about retirement.
Alabama Football: Nick Saban Retirement Rumors Heat Up
and some :horns: fans I know are worried that Sark will replace him at Bama if he leaves.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

JoeSooner wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:31 pm Their center snapped the ball worse than Raym, and I've not been a big Raym fan, particularly after he opted out causing two guys to have to play positions they hadn't played in a game all year in the bowl game. Raym's no first round pick and had no business opting out IMO. There, been wanting to get that off my chest lol.

Somewhat bizarre play call on 4th down. That play works better at midlfield rather than inside the 10. #65 got straight blown up into the backfield, had no chance.
I too, was puzzled by that last call. After 2 timeouts, that is the best call you could come up with? Have to give it to Michigan's defense - really, really tough.
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

soonerindallas wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:35 pm
JoeSooner wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:31 pm Their center snapped the ball worse than Raym, and I've not been a big Raym fan, particularly after he opted out causing two guys to have to play positions they hadn't played in a game all year in the bowl game. Raym's no first round pick and had no business opting out IMO. There, been wanting to get that off my chest lol.

Somewhat bizarre play call on 4th down. That play works better at midlfield rather than inside the 10. #65 got straight blown up into the backfield, had no chance.
I too, was puzzled by that last call. After 2 timeouts, that is the best call you could come up with? Have to give it to Michigan's defense - really, really tough.
Saban said the play was not executed properly (obviously) and the timing was thrown off by the less than perfect snap from center.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Zgeo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:25 am
inconnu wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:31 am
Zgeo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:46 am Saban will hang on as long as possible like old what’s his name did at FSU, but with all the changes dynasty time is over….. :surrender:
I wouldn't be surprised if Saban is still relevant for several years to come. His recruiting isn't slipping at all. I am NOT a Bama fan, but I think his reign is far from over. Dude is the GOAT for college football.
He can stay relevant , but the domination is gone ….first with Georgia besting Bama, and now the portal, 12 team playoff, and NIL are lots of new things that work against any one team dominating like Saban used to do…..
I'm in agreement that all good (or bad imho re: Bama domination) things must come to an end. The NIL is allowing other teams to take just enough of the 5* trench recruits that Bama feasted on for the last decade and spread them around. Just look, obviously Georgia but include in that list now OU, Missouri, A&M, Texas, Oregon, etc, etc. That is making Bama come back to earth. I think that aspect of the NIL is good for college football, everything else, I'm not so sure of.

But I do think Bama's magic is gone - no longer can they have a mediocre QB that is covered up by a power run game and stellar defense. Their O-line and D-line have suffered and I'm not sure it will completely ever rebound. They need another heisman QB who can cover those issues because Milroe is not that QB from what I saw. Now, if Sark did head over there his offense would help, but after seeing him call offense in the OU game and Udub game, I'm almost of the opinion that he is Riley clone and gets too enamored with his own playcalling script instead of calling the best play to win the game.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I believe that Bama's Magic is gone because NIL took what Saban did "under the table" and put it smack dab on top of the table...right in the middle where all teams, that so desired and capable, could participate. The portal is now the dirtly lil under-the-table mode of operation. Poaching players is something that needs to be reigned in but still allow players to move about under some sense of reason.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

SoonerGirl:

I'm in agreement that all good (or bad imho re: Bama domination) things must come to an end. The NIL is allowing other teams to take just enough of the 5* trench recruits that Bama feasted on for the last decade and spread them around. Just look, obviously Georgia but include in that list now OU, Missouri, A&M, Texas, Oregon, etc, etc. That is making Bama come back to earth. I think that aspect of the NIL is good for college football, everything else, I'm not so sure of.

inconnu:
The NIL IS game changer, for sure. Even though Saban is still recruiting seemingly as well as always, that Portal and NIL reality does shake things up a lot.