Big 12 Women's Basketball Standings: Oklahoma @ 4-1 in 3rd Place

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Big 12 Women's Basketball Standings: Oklahoma @ 4-1 in 3rd Place

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Big 12 Current Standings: (Net Rankings includes the Jan 14th games.)

T1st - Kansas State --- 5-0 and 17-1 - NET Ranking #8 - AP #7, Coaches #7
T1st - Iowa State ------ 5-0 and 12-4 - NET Ranking #39 - AP #24, Coaches RV27
3rd - Oklahoma -------- 4-1 and 10-6 - NET Ranking #56
T4th- Texas ------------ 3-2 and 16-2 -- NET Ranking #2 - AP #11, Coaches #11
T4th - Baylor ---------- 3-2 and 14-2 -- NET Ranking #10 - AP #12, Coaches #13
T4th - West Virginia -- 3-2 and 14-2 -- NET Ranking #27 - AP RV25, Coaches RV30
T4th - Okla State ----- 3-2 and 10-6 -- NET Ranking #61
T8th - Texas Tech ----- 2-3 and 13-5 -- NET Ranking #69
T8th - Houston -------- 2-3 and 11-5 -- NET Ranking #93
T8th - Kansas ---------- 2-3 and 9-7 --- NET Ranking #47
T11th - TCU ------------ 1-4 and 14-4 -- NET Ranking #38
T11th - BYU ------------ 1-4 and 11-7 -- NET Ranking #95
T11h - Cincinnati ------ 1-4 and 9-7 --- NET Ranking #103
14th - UCF -------------- 0-5 and 9-6 --- NET Ranking #99

Games on Tuesday, Jan 16th:
Kansas (2-3) at Texas (3-2) 7 PM LHN – Kansas’ opponents are 15-10. Their loss to Tech at home hurts their record. Texas’s opponents are 14-11 as they have lost to Baylor and K-State. Texas still holds a NET ranking of 2. That means they should not lose at home. Texas should probably win this one.

Games on Wednesday, Jan 17th:
Houston (2-3) at West Virginia (3-2) 6 PM ESPN+ - Their NET rankings indicate that WV is the better team (26 to 93). But Houston has won their last two against BYU and TCU with both games at home. I think that WV should be favored in this one.
Iowa State (5-0) at Texas Tech (2-3) 6 PM ESPN+ - I think Iowa State should win this road game over Tech, but playing in Lubbock is tough for anyone. Iowa State makes it to 6-0 in the conference at the 1/3rd mark.
BYU (1-4) at Oklahoma State (3-2) 6:30 PM ESPN+ - BYU is yet to win on the road in conference play. OSU can’t afford a loss at home. I do think the Cowgirls should win this game at home.
Kansas State (5-0) at TCU (1-4) 6:30 PM ESPN+ - Kansas State should join Iowa State at 5-0 in conference play. K-State is a pretty good team and can handle TCU on the road, but it could be close, especially if Lee gets in foul trouble.

Oklahoma and Cincinnati are off during the mid-week this week.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In the only Women's game on Tuesday night, the Longhorns defeated the Jayhawks 91 to 56 in an easy win. Texas lead 47-26 at the half. Texas had 4 players score in double digits with two more score 8 and 9 points. Texas shot 59% from the field in the game. Texas moves to 4-2 in conference with Kansas dropping to 2-4.

The home court advantage for the Big 12 women is not as huge, but it is still substantial at 63.8%. Through the first 3 slates of games in conference play, the home teams only won 9 of 21 games, but since then the home team has won 14 of 15 games. The 'top' women's teams are winning their share of games on the road though.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In Women's Big 12 action on Wednesday night, there was supposed to be 4 games played. But the Kansas State at TCU game was cancelled and TCU forfeited the game to K-State. The reason given was that TCU did not have enough players to play the game. TCU has also forfeited their next game at Iowa State due to the same reason. They are also having on-campus tryouts in the mean time to field a team asap. They had two players injured in their last game against Houston with season-ending injuries. In their last two games, Sedona Prince and Jaden Owens have suffered season ending injuries to two starters. TCU had 9 other players that played in the last game against Houston. It seems strange unless their are other illnesses amongst the players which shortens the bench further. I hope TCU finds a player or two in the student body so there season can continue for TCU. K-State is now 6-0 and TCU is now 1-5 and will be 1-6 after their upcoming second forfeit to I-State.

In other games last night:

Houston at West Virginia - West Virginia completely dominated Houston as they won 80 - 39. WV led 17-0 after the 1Q, and 35-8 at the half. West Virginia improved to 4-2 while Houston dropped for 2-4.

Iowa State at Texas Tech - Texas Tech surprised the Cyclones last night with a 71-63 win at home in Lubbock. The loss drops the Cyclones from the unbeaten in conference list leaving just K-State as the lone unbeaten team in the conference as they received a forfeit from TCU last night. (see above) Texas Tech and Iowa State both made 24 shots from the field last night but Tech made six more from beyond the arc (13 for 29 from 3-point territory) and made two more free throws than I-State to build the 8 point lead and win the game. Tech took the early lead and led 16-11 after the 1Q. I-State battled back to lead for a couple of possessions in the 2Q but Tech led 34-29 at the half. Texas Tech tool the lead 51-42 after 3Q and coasted to the victory. I-State is now 5-1 and Tech is 3-3 in conference.

BYU at Oklahoma State - Oklahoma State won every quarter by the margins of 10, 13, 2 and 7 points last night to win 82-50 over BYU. Noble for OSU scored 30 points for OSU. The Cowgirls are now 4-2 while BYU drops to 1-5 in conference play.

OU, Cincy, Baylor and UCF had the mid week games off this week.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I remember when we were playing games with only 6 available players. What's up with TCU forfeiting with 9 available players?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

AustinTXSooner wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:09 pm I remember when we were playing games with only 6 available players. What's up with TCU forfeiting with 9 available players?
Chris Plank on his show today said apparently that had 'a couple' more injuries this early this week in practice which caused the shortage of players. From what Plank said, K-State was already in Ft. Worth when the decision was made and that K-State will not reimbursed for their travel cost. The same is true for the K-State fans and parents, even their tickets are not going to be reimbursed. Sounds like a very bad deal all the way around.