Lance Heard

SoonerMike

Lance Heard

Post by SoonerMike »

Did he commit here or Tennessee? Anybody know?
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

According to SoonerScoop, he has not committed anywhere. Rumors abound whether it be Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Ole Miss. They start talking about Lance Heard at 2:25.

ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

Heard is supposedly down to OU and Tennessee, but everything I have read suggests he is likely a Vol. OU started classes for the Spring semester today and he is not enrolled at OU. UT classes start in one week. The Vol message boards are highly confident he is going to Tennessee and once again it appears we cannot compete with the NIL money of other schools for portal transfers. I would not be surprised if we hear an announcement in the next few days for Tennessee.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

IMHO itb is not that OU cannot pay the big money game but that they CHOOSE not to do so. BV has said over and over he believes in relational recruiting not transactional . Buyong players is a waste of money .
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I've heard that the Vols are ponying up $1 Million for Lance's services. In the same podcast, it was said that BV will not go above an assistant coach's salary to buy a player.

Interesting thought. Lance was a 5-star coming out of HS. He wasn't able to break into the starting line up and since those players are coming back, he wasn't expected to start for LSU next year. Makes you wonder if the Vols are buying a pig-in-a-poke.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

It is my belief that "Desperate men do desperate things" and "A fool and his money are soon parted" can also apply to universities.
ColleyvilleSooner

SwampSooner wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 pm I've heard that the Vols are ponying up $1 Million for Lance's services. In the same podcast, it was said that BV will not go above an assistant coach's salary to buy a player.

Interesting thought. Lance was a 5-star coming out of HS. He wasn't able to break into the starting line up and since those players are coming back, he wasn't expected to start for LSU next year. Makes you wonder if the Vols are buying a pig-in-a-poke.
I don't see many true freshmen starting, especially at LT. Green at OG for OU was an exception. From what I have read, Heard is a real talent who needs polish. The guy had a major problem with holding. I think he did start one game last season and played in the rest.
captnop

Post by captnop »

THe problem is if you drop a huge bag for heard, then all the other Lineman, especially starters want as big or bigger bag. OU picked up 3 quality OL in the portal. Look at the hot mess at A&M?? Thats what happens when you start dropping money with zero idea of what havoc it can reek. If all Heard is playing for is $$$. let him be Heup's headache ..
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

captnop wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:20 pm THe problem is if you drop a huge bag for heard, then all the other Lineman, especially starters want as big or bigger bag. OU picked up 3 quality OL in the portal. Look at the hot mess at A&M?? Thats what happens when you start dropping money with zero idea of what havoc it can reek. If all Heard is playing for is $$$. let him be Heup's headache ..
Was just thinking about this topic yesterday afternoon. You look at the teams who have reportedly blown the doors off of NIL spending - aggy, Miami, Ole Miss, Tenn - it hasn't really worked for them much. Maybe a little bit more for Tenn & Ole Miss, but certainly not for the others. Then you look at the mass exodus out of College Station & compare that to the relatively minor losses for OU, it seems that BV's more "relational" approach to recruiting, building a culture & a team is the way to go for the long-term health of a program vs. those teams' more "transactional" models.
ColleyvilleSooner

Yes, I like BV's approach which is consistent with the very top programs in the country. The lower tier programs like Texas Aggie, Tenn, Texas, fling money bags at big name portal players who may or may not work out. Aggie recruited well at the HS level and portal ONLY because of their money. It's certainly not their tradition or culture. I cannot imagine what goes through the minds of an 18 year old recruit going to the Aggie Friday night rally as part of his visit and watching male cheerleaders dressed in high striped overalls saying corny lines and engaging in strange body contortions like lifting up the leg as if they are ripping one. This is farmer's kid stuff from 1890. So Aggie buys four and five stars who don't want to be there and it shows.

High priced portal transfers can fill voids, but like others pointed out, it creates a wave of resentment among current players who are paid way less.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

There would be very few HS recruits I would bring in at a higher payout than the solid 2nd, 3rd or 4th-year contributor. Although, there would be a very few situations this general policy would not hold. Depending on need, someone like Caleb Downs at Alabama (now Ohio State) that has already shown his value on the field.....OU should absolutely make all necessary competitive accommodations. Until this wild west period is tamed, OU is just cutting its own throat not pursuing such opportunities.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Boom......Damn I could not agree more States.....
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Heard committed to Tennessee Today acccording to reports.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

WishBone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:55 pm Heard committed to Tennessee Today acccording to reports.
S'OK. We're good.
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

WishBone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:55 pm Heard committed to Tennessee Today acccording to reports.
That has been expected for several days.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot