OU's NIL Situation.....

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
StatesEye

OU's NIL Situation.....

Post by StatesEye »

A good discussion on the current state of OU's NIL efforts during the first 30 minutes or so of this episode of The Oklahoma Breakdown. I'm fully aware of the general sentiment on NIL from fans. The fact of the matter is this..... Unless the Sooner Nation gets fully behind Oklahoma's NIL game, the program will wane to an also-ran. Team transfer portal rankings will begin to matter just as much as the HS recruiting rankings, and OU's performance over the last two years (around #25) isn't going to cut it. Folks, it's time to become a member and donate.

This is a decent read on NIL collectives in college football and how OU's collectives rank among them as of last spring. Note: OU's collectives have come a long, long way since then.
https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2023/0 ... ollective/
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

I give to NIL, but my issue with all of it is that hardly anyone knows what the truth is. Nobody other than the players really know who's getting offered what and what the terms are, at least that I'm aware of. Players at some other schools have said they didn't get what they were promised, and all sorts of numbers are thrown around and nobody wants to go on record about it.

I don't know how they do it but at some point it will probably wind up being an in-house operation for athletic departments with players as employees funded by TV money, it shouldn't be on the fans to raise money to buy players
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
captnop

Post by captnop »

I believe thats the NCAA proposal, if I heard correctly on the radio.
RussC

Post by RussC »

JoeSooner wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04 am at some point it will probably wind up being an in-house operation for athletic departments with players as employees funded by TV money, it shouldn't be on the fans to raise money to buy players
It’s likely that there will eventually be a share of the TV money distributed to the players equally. But that will not be instead of donor-based NIL, it will be in addition to it.
#Mentally In Portal
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

JoeSooner wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04 am hardly anyone knows what the truth is. Nobody other than the players really know who's getting offered what and what the terms are, at least that I'm aware of. Players at some other schools have said they didn't get what they were promised, and all sorts of numbers are thrown around and nobody wants to go on record about it.
If you have this type of system where money is coming in and flowing out and no one knows what is really going on, it is just a matter of time until the managers of the collectives find themselves unable to keep their hands out of the pie, and eventually we have lawsuits or arrests for mishandling of funds.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

However the "salaries" are paid.....it's going to cost more and much of that will have to come from boosters. Hopefully boosters can step up to the plate, and more creative ways to meet coming needs are developed. I certainly don't want "payroll" expenses to devour resources and keep it from going to other important (but non-revenue generating) areas of Oklahoma Athletics. Title IX is a club that will surely come swinging under such a scenario.......as it damn well should.

I certainly understand the concerns for graft and corruption in this wild-west period, though.