Grinch Sighting

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
SD-OU

Grinch Sighting

Post by SD-OU »

Grinch has been hired by Wisconsin as co-defensive coordinator. How long before he destroys their defense?
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

SD-OU wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:53 pm Grinch has been hired by Wisconsin as co-defensive coordinator. How long before he destroys their defense?
I expected this to be a notice of his hiring by Walmart.
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

Pokerman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:20 pm
SD-OU wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:53 pm Grinch has been hired by Wisconsin as co-defensive coordinator. How long before he destroys their defense?
Walmart has a better screening process.
captnop

Post by captnop »

I figured someone in LA saw him 'Coordinating' a McDonalds Deep Fryer and Hamburger Grill.... :confusedplus: Really, Really glad :ou: didn't hire Fickell. Maybe you hire him as some kind of defensive anti-analyst. Like you hire him as an analyst and everything he proposes, you do the complete opposite on D?? Actually hiring him in an on the field position is quite puzzling.
captnop

Post by captnop »

SD-OU wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:41 pm
Pokerman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:20 pm
Walmart has a better screening process.
Walmart actually checks the references. :)
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Welp....as usual, I will provide the unpopular opinion (LOL).

I don't think Grinch is a bad DC. Now, he certainly isn't one of the best out there, but he isn't bad. OU's defense finished 28th nationally in yard/play defense in 2020. It also finished in the Top-15 in most advanced metrics ratings (FEI, SP+, F+, etc) in 2020. That defense was just as responsible, if not more so, for finishing 9-2 (after 1-2 start) than the offense that year.

Grinch's failure at USC is a product of the team culture Riley fosters. His teams are soft. We saw it here, progressively, from 2017 to 2021. The return of Schmitty was a primo move by Venables.

waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

I thought the sighting was going to be in Whoville .
captnop

Post by captnop »

StatesEye wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:34 am Welp....as usual, I will provide the unpopular opinion (LOL).

I don't think Grinch is a bad DC. Now, he certainly isn't one of the best out there, but he isn't bad. OU's defense finished 28th nationally in yard/play defense in 2020. It also finished in the Top-15 in most advanced metrics ratings (FEI, SP+, F+, etc) in 2020. That defense was just as responsible, if not more so, for finishing 9-2 (after 1-2 start) than the offense that year.

Grinch's failure at USC is a product of the team culture Riley fosters. His teams are soft. We saw it here, progressively, from 2017 to 2021. The return of Schmitty was a primo move by Venables.

Defense in the bowl game against UF was good, because about 1/3 of the team didn't show up. I know there was big issue because Winfrey and a couple of others got work with NFL coaches in some of the post season games and the NFL guys were like he was NOT properly coached or schemed. Is 2020 good coaching, or simply did he have enough NFL level talent AND the B12 was a little down. He could buy whatever players he wanted and STILL couldn't field a decent D at USC. My feeling is 2020 was Grinches 'acorn' season, right a blind squirrel will eventually find and acorn. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Right now, he doesn't look like even a decent D coord. My understanding he wasn't even pushing for Smitty style workouts .. he JUST wanted speed and agility. Sounds good until some 250lb RB/FB runs over/through your speedy/agile DLINE. How many times did we see that. Shoot it wasn't even 250lber's. Grinch's D made some middle of the road RB's look like Derrick Henry. AND keep in mind there still some Smitty guys on that team, in 21 we saw the true Riley/Grinch product soft weak and dependent on strictly speed. Which the 21 team looked MOL like the USC teams that followed.
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

Grinch is a product of great defensive talent at Ohio State which made him look like a genius. Then he had the misfortune of coaching under LR who did not value defense and frankly had and still has no overall vision of how to build and maintain a top program. LR is essentially a glorified OC who didn't emphasize defensive recruiting or recruit numbers or a balance of recruits per position (only 2 OL recruits signed in 2 different seasons under LR). LR did not emphasize strength and conditioning and had soft players. So all of this further hindered the Grinch who was like a continuation of the blonde brother in the press box who threw up his arms whenever his D blew a play, which was about 30 times a game.