Who was the most accurate recent QB

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Zgeo

Who was the most accurate recent QB

Post by Zgeo »

I am talking about all passes short, medium , deep , corners and crossing. Maybe considering back to Bradford.
This is offseason idle time speculation since the spring game is out there……

I think i would ranks them this way

1 Spencer Rattler
2 tie Baker and Kyler
3 Bradford
4 Caleb
5 Landry
6 Blake Bell
7 Trevor Knight ( that one game against Bama was far better accuracy than most of his games)
8 Hurts

What do you all think. I might be persuaded to put Baker and Kyler ahead of Rattler,,,,,, :eyes: :bow:

:ou: :ou:
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Id have Bradford first if all we’re talking about is accuracy.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
Soonr80

Post by Soonr80 »

Ditto
EMan

Post by EMan »

Jason White is high on my list. He was one of the best deep throwers I've ever seen. If not for his knees, he'd have played in the NFL for sure.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
RussC

Post by RussC »

There’s accuracy when everything is perfect, clean pocket.

And there’s accuracy when under some pressure.

My recollection is that Rattler was great when all was perfect. Otherwise not so much
#Mentally In Portal
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I dont want to end discussion but try to add to it by including a stat reference so i linked a stat ref here
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... ssing.html

This shows the following for the QBs we are talking about and i included Jason White since he was a great one. I only found percentage completion for this ground of QBs o will list it. In summary the stat shows

1 Spencer Rattler 70.1 completion rate. ……I remember him as extremely accurate in all cases
2 Baker 69.8% ……..lots of long balls
2 Kyler 69.8%……... Lots of long balls
3Jalen Hurts 69.7%. ……..I dont remember him as accurate maybe i am wrong and it was just moving left that he missed all those throws
4 Sam Bradford 67.6%. It was PI on that first pass in the natty , not calling it changed the game
5 DillonGabriel 66%. We all know Dillon is no where near Sam in long ball accuracy
6 Caleb Williams 64.5%. Surprisingly but numbers dont lie
7 Landry 63.6%. He threw the long ball a lot as I remember
8 Jason White 63,3%
9 Blake Bell 59.3%. This is why he is a TE now
10. Trevor Knight 57.1%. Not great, but one great game beating BAMA like a rented mule HDHDT

So I am going to say that Baker and Kyler tie for most accurate they played for longer actually Baker has lots more games than Kyler, and they throw long. Rattler always looked accurate to me and had to run for his life a lot of the time but didn’t play as long as Baker or even Kyler ….

What do you think??

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :ou: :ou:
EMan

Post by EMan »

Of course, let's not discount the receivers, as well as the running backs, that were there during the reign of each QB. And what was the offense OU was running? More downfield throws, or more of a controlled short game? A lot of variables. But no doubt we've been blessed with some unbelievable offensive playmakers. Besides the QBs listed, just off the top of my head, wide receivers such as Mark Clayton, Malcolm Kelly, Jermaine Gresham, Ryan Broyles, Sterllng Shepard, Mark Andrews, CeeDee Lamb, Dede Westbrook, Hollywood Brown, Drake Stoops... Shoot, those guys would make ME look like an adequate QB... OK, that's definitely stretching it a bit far, but you get the idea. :D
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Rattler also ran for his life when he didn’t have to and actually created some of his own pressure. But that’s not really related to just accuracy. He did have an incredibly fast release and a strong arm. That fast release is what I remember the most from Rattler.

I’ll still say Bradford was the most accurate of this group if all we are talking about is accuracy. His accuracy and ball placement was uncanny. Sorta like the movie “Wanted” where the shooters could bend the path of the bullets, but instead of bullets, it’s a football.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
Fly

Post by Fly »

I would have thrown Rattler up there in the mix.I think he will do well in the NFL. I would have to agree he never had a good
offensive line to protect him.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Trevor Knight was not known as accurate passer and his average completion percentage 0f 57% shows that..BUT.. in the biggest game of his career he went 32/44 for 72.7% completion with 4 TD 1 int to beat Bama by 14 when OU was a 19 point dog…..

It was epic…..

:ou: :ou: :ou:
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

Bradford was better than people remember nowadays, particularly rolling left and throwing on the run.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

I remember when Josh came along, I thought he was really accurate. But that was compared with the QBs we'd had all those years when we were primarily a running team, and wanted a QB who could run. He was still pretty good, but several of the guys who came after him were even better. Since 2000, we've had 4 QBs who won the Heisman (and 3 of those were then the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft), and 2 QBs who were Heisman runner-ups. Then we've had guys like Hybl, Jones, Rattler, and Gabriel (OK, and Williams), who may not have been the best 1 or 2 in the country, but were pretty darn good. Point is, we've been pretty spoiled with good/great QBs the past 25 years, and I look forward to being spoiled some more.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I remember this pass from Bradford to Manny Johnson that was obvious PI and not called (probably targeting today) watch the whole replay the later part is in slow motion and shows the ball hitting Major Wright in the back after he hits Manny.. just one of several bad calls …was the very first pass but this one may have changed the game……

I remember Bradford getting 2 shoulder separations. The one by BYU was in Jerryworld on a late corner blitz from the blind side i was in attendance for that one and we lost as i remember….. seems like Bradford was hit a lot….. :ou: :ou: :ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

What a shame! Was there even a rule back then for targeting??? I do not think so?

🪰Fly :BV: :ou: OK I looked that up. Targeting rule was installed in 2008. Bradford last year with the Sooners was 2010.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

That game was January 2009, the natty for the 2008 season, so should have been targeting, also was blatant PI…. There were several other bad calls in the game all to the detriment of Oklahoma…Also the Saint Tim Tebow was guilty of taunting doing the alligator chomp at OU players and it was not called…

We were not at full strength for the natty game DeMarco Murray was out with injury…..

We were robbed….. :ou: :ou: