OU - Washington: OU 4 UW 3 FINAL

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

inconnu

Post by inconnu »

This was a lot like that infamous(no, famous) Clemson game, except we weren't down to the last strike...but, Riley Ludlam and Riley Boone DID perform SOONER MAGIC!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Grit!
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Games like this are hard on this old man's heart . I hope there are not many of these in days ahead ,I much prefer run rule wins .
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Riley Ludlam, proved her worth atleast at the plate. Boone has always been clutch at the plate when the Sooners are down in big games.
I think we will see some changes in the batting order. Not sure about position changes. Maxwell is the Ace. Right now Monticelli may be the 2nd best pitcher on staff. Tomorrow I think you see Deal and Geurin pitch.
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Deal yes, Guerin no
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou:
Lasooner11 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:28 am Deal yes, Guerin no
Since they are playing a fairly easy opponent, I thought Guerin might get an inning or 2. She looked pretty good in Fall ball
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

Wow! I just read the play by play on here. Nerve wracking game for sure.

I thought deal might be able to over take may this year. May is serviceable but she is not a wcws pitcher. I have no confidence in her to win a tight game. Never have. Nothing against her. She is a great kid!!!

Hopefully Maxwell, Monticello, Deal, and guerin can get it done. I'm excited to watch Deal get some action.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

jmac11 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:02 am Wow! I just read the play by play on here. Nerve wracking game for sure.

I thought deal might be able to over take may this year. May is serviceable but she is not a wcws pitcher. I have no confidence in her to win a tight game. Never have. Nothing against her. She is a great kid!!!

Hopefully Maxwell, Monticello, Deal, and guerin can get it done. I'm excited to watch Deal get some action.
May isn't a WCWS pitcher? Perhaps you've forgotten the 2022 WCWS. This is from an article about that WCWS regarding May's performance:
"In Oklahoma’s blowout of the Longhorns in Game 1 of the championship series, May tossed two scoreless innings.

And then she closed the door on any potential Texas comeback once the Sooners wrestled back control of Game 2.

May only allowed one hit and fired two strikeouts across 2 1/3 innings, a response that didn’t surprise Hansen one bit.

Even last year Nicole May has been lights-out in postseason,” Hansen said after the game Thursday. “When we played Washington last year, we won the game 2-1, and I saw that fire in her today.

“Everybody has bad games. We can't all be perfect, but when she came out on that mound today after Jordy, I just — the look in her eyes, when I had gotten that first squat, I was, like, yeah, she's going to do it. Just the vibe that she gave off and just the fire that she had and kind of vengeance a little bit from her last outing. She knew she was going to do it, and everybody else knew too.”
Maxwell may well turn out to be the shutdown pitcher this year but don't count Nicole May out.
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

I think it’s safe to say certain players see the future and don’t care. May could care less of anyone’s opinion at this point. All goes to plan expect 3-4 in the portal. OU dominance is over for a while after this season. Nicole will take her rings and move on down the road.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I finally saw the obstruction play.

Tough on Hansen because the throw was low and toward the 3rd base line. Blocking the throw, she also blocked the plate. I read and re-read the rule. Blocking the base BEFORE the player has the ball is obstruction. Now the runner was not touched or impeded getting to the base (home plate) until Hansen had the ball.

The current rule could allow obstruction to be called on every run down play because the defensive players are "blocking" the base path without the ball.

Seems the rule should be that if the runner contacts the defender before the defender has the ball, it is obstruction. If the defender has the ball before contact, the position of the defender does not matter.
texsa sucks!
EMan

Post by EMan »

In all fairness to May, without the obstruction call and all else being the same, she would've pitched 4 scoreless innings against a Top Ten team. Just sayin'.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

EMan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:55 am In all fairness to May, without the obstruction call and all else being the same, she would've pitched 4 scoreless innings against a Top Ten team. Just sayin'.
Yes. The entire play that was "obstruction" had spots where the grounder would be an out. Jennings was playing way in. Had she been a little deeper, she fields the grounder and steps on second.

Coleman came in strong but her throw was from deep shortstop not the outfield, so a little higher where Hansen does not have to go to her knee to block it and there is no chance of obstruction.

And, of course, if the rule was not stupid, the ball arrived prior to contact and the runner should have been out anyway.
texsa sucks!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Lasooner11 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:28 am Deal yes, Guerin no
Everything ok with SJ?
aka Crimson47
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou:
Lasooner11 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:44 am I think it’s safe to say certain players see the future and don’t care. May could care less of anyone’s opinion at this point. All goes to plan expect 3-4 in the portal. OU dominance is over for a while after this season. Nicole will take her rings and move on down the road.
May is a very solid pitcher. She is a pitcher that would always have on your staff than not. She not a pitcher that you would necessarily want face on another team. Nicole is a great team player has stuck around to help the team win despite other pitchers coming in that rose to be the staff ace while she remained more in a supporting role.
Since we have 10 seniors which 7 are considered All American type players. Will the Sooners take a dip next year. Probably so. They do have one of the best freshmen classes ever signed coming in to go with stud freshmen this year. If they have 3 or 4 hit the portal. They got atleast that many or more high caliber players wanting to come here
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

As a travel ball coach recommending schools, the first thing I look at is turnover rate of entering classes. Knowing 3-4 leaving, the turnover rate is below 50%. Live on the portal and you will die especially Covid kids gone, nil and reputation.