The recipe for success against the Sooners?? ---Look no further than last night's game of Florida against OSU

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

The recipe for success against the Sooners?? ---Look no further than last night's game of Florida against OSU

Post by TropicalSooner »

Keagan Rothrock almost lived up to her 'hot freshman pitcher' status last night, pitching the first 6 innings holding the Cowgirls to 2 hits, giving up only 2 walks and striking out 7 cowgirls.
The trouble was, both hits and one of the walks all came in the 3rd inning and one of the two hits was a Home Run accounting for all 3 runs giving the Cowgirls the 3-0 win.

That is how OU will lose one or more games this year---likely to Texas, maybe OSU (they did it to Florida) and possibly others. Our pitcher(s) will throw a gem of a game, and our bats will go stone cold

Lexi Kilfoyl got the win for the Cowgirls, pitching all 7 innings giving up 3 hits and 2 walks while striking out 6.

There were no errors in the game last night.
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Tropical - you are right! An OU loss could happen under this kind of circumstance for sure! OU has lost under similar circumstances: Most recently with the Baylor game last year....and I might also point to a game in the 2019 WCWS Finals, too. There was the Liberty game and then the Stanford and Clemson games....where OU was down to that last gasp....and won. (I think Missouri recently won a game where neither team scored an earned run...and maybe there were no hits, either?) Odd things can and do happen all the time.

I am invested in this team as you are. I ask myself, why would losing a game because of poor pitching or pokey bats on a long shot dice roll be such a bad thing in the big picture? Life Lessons and Learning Opportunities.

Yes, it would be heartbreaking if something so out of the norm happened in a BIG game and cost OUSB another slice of record-book pie for a four-peat. However, recent history shows that OU gets the winning hit/play when it comes down to brass tacks more times than not. (Knighten, Chamberlin, Jennings, Hansen....and I am missing a few, I am sure.) It is OU that has the good cooking and winning recipe more than any other kitchen in the country right now.

That recipe for success doesn't JUST include the Sooners. Any team would lose in such a situation. No team is immune. It WILL happen to OU at some point in the future, and it already HAS happened. Is it any dishonor if another talented team just flat out beats us on a given day?

Coach will meet with the team after a loss and ask, "How do you feel about this? Can we take some accountability? What do you want to happen next time? How can we get there?" No shame. No blame. Just an experience and opportunity to get better.

The Sooners wear the Crown. In an offhand kind of way, it is a compliment that others want to knock it off OU's head. Losing has happened before and will happen again. It just don't happen often these days!

You want to come at the Queen? You better not miss!
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

The higher that you rise in the level of competition in any sport, the more unusual it is for a team to go undefeated. When you talk about a sport that plays 50-60 games, it is almost inevitable that an upset will occur somewhere along the way. No one likes to lose, but it is a crazy if anyone expects this team to go undefeated and puts that kind of pressure on the players. Or more likely they put the pressure on themselves. Like I do for all Sooner teams, I hope they win and if they don't, I hope they win the next one.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I would prefer to lose to someone OTHER than Texas or OSU and get it out of the way. I think a loss to a lesser team would be the best - something like Iowa State or Texas Tech so it can play the role of taking the win streak discussions off the board but also show that it was most likely a fluke :)