DH Wins Sunday: Seattle 8-0, LMU 9-0 - 2 SHO & 2 Run-Rule & 6 HR

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

DH Wins Sunday: Seattle 8-0, LMU 9-0 - 2 SHO & 2 Run-Rule & 6 HR

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners were late arriving on Sunday due to a long batting practice session off of the BLD Site but when they got to the field, they were efficient and powerful. The big bats broke out a bit on Sunday for the Sooners as they pounded out 6 HRs (3 in each game) and won 2 run-rule, shutout games over Seattle 8-0 in 6 innings and LMU 9-0 in 5 innings.

With two shutouts, the pitching did its job well as they led the team in the two wins. Against Seattle they allowed 4 singles and 2 walks while against LMU they allowed 2 singles with 1 walk. The Sooners picked up 8 Ks in the first game and 7 Ks in the second game.

In the 8-0 win against Seattle, Karlie Keeney and Paytn Monticelli pitched 4.2 and 1.1 innings as they gave up 4 hits with 2 walks and 8 Ks. The Sooner defense helped Keeney out as Coleman and Boone both picked up outfield assists on throws in to get runners trying to advance. In the 2nd, Coleman threw another runner out trying to stretch a deep single into a double with a strike thrown to Jennings at 2nd base to get a runner. In the 4th, Boone started a relay to Jennings near second base then to Ludlam at home to throw out a runner trying to score as Ludlam. Jennings delivered a strong to Ludlam to tag the runner at home easily for another out to preserve the shutout.

Keeney does what she does. She keeps the ball down and on the edges of the plate. She gave up 4 singles and 2 walks in 4.2 innings but was never in "trouble" as she picked up 5 Ks along the way. Monticelli tossed 1.1 innings and picked up 3 Ks as she struck out the side in the bottom of the 6th on 3 swinging strike 3's.

On offense, Ms. Ella Parker crushed two HRs in the game and picked up 5 RBIs for her biggest bash party of the season for the Sooners. Yesterday was her first 2 HR game for the Sooners and the first of what will likely be many in her career. Riley Ludlam also hit her first HR of the season, a solo shot, with a blast to LF. Her smile was huge as she cruised in with 'wings' at home plate. She also did a good job behind the plate as she caught and gave Kinzie Hansen a rest. Rylie Boone added a double and was 2 for 3. Brito was 1/4 with an RBI. Hodge picked up a shallow SFLY that plated Bland for a RBI. Pickering and Jennings picked up the remaining two hits as K-Pick was 1 for 1 and T-R-A was 1 for 3.

OU scored in 4 of 6 innings and was 8 for 24 in the game with 5 walks and 2 Ks and 1 HBP (Sanders). The Sooners left 5 of 14 runners on base.

In the second game against LMU, Nicole May started a bit 'shaky' as she walked the first hitter on 4 pitches before the next hitter reached on a ground ball error by Hodge as the runners reached 3rd base on the play. With runners on 1st and 3rd, Ms. May took charge and struck out the 3rd hitter looking on three pitches. She then got two ground ball outs to herself as she fielded her position well to end the inning. Well done. May did not allow another base runner in her 4 total innings as she picked up 6 more Ks to end her day. (Yes, she had a no-hitter going.) Kelly Maxwell took the ball and pitched the 5th. Maxwell gave up to grounders to the left side to open the inning. The 3rd hitter grounded out to SS for a force to 2B for the first out a the lead runner advance to third base. With runners now on 1st and 3rd, Maxwell got a fourth ground ball of the inning to Jennings as she fielded the ball stepped on 2B and threw to first base for a double play to end the game. Shutout win for the Sooners at that point. May and Maxwell allowed 2 hits (both singles), 1 walk and 7 Ks.

On offense, the Sooners blasted 3 more HRs and 3 doubles and was 10 for 24 in the game with 5 walks and 2 Ks. They left 5 of 15 runners on base. Brito was 2 for 2 with a HR and 2 RBIs, Coleman and Torres was 1 for 2 with a HR. Coleman's was a low liner over the CF fence for an RBI as Torres hit a big high HR to LF for 2 RBI as both of them picked up their first HRs of the season. Jennings was 1 for 1 with 2 RBI and a double. Boone was 2 for 3 with a double and a RBI. Pickering was 2 for 3 with an RBI and Parker was 1 for 3 with a double that was almost another HR.

For the day, the Sooners were 18 for 48 for a .375 BA with 4 doubles and 6 HRs which is a bit more like the Sooner offense. Their 10 walks and 1 HBP against only 4 Ks is a bit better ratio also on offense. But it is true that Seattle and LMU is only 11-19 combined for their record. But at least OU won the two games easily and convincingly. The two shutouts are the Sooners 8th and 9th shutouts of the season and their 6th and 7th run-rules of the season.

I think the Sooners have things going well with two positions still in a bit of flux. I think the 2B job ad the 1B job may still be play for the Sooners. Torres may be the leader at second while, I think we may see maybe Ludlam and/or Parker a bit at first base along with Sanders playing there. The batting order is daily thing that only the coaches know what may happen.

The pitching staff is very strong and very deep. All six have been, for the most part, very good. At their best, they have been even better than that. Starters seem to be May, Maxwell, Deal and Keeney with Monticelli, Geurin being very capable relievers with Keeney filling that role also. Maxwell might end up being the "Rollie Fingers" minus the mustache though, of the Sooners also. Maybe some of our older Oakland A's fans will get that comment.

The Sooners are 14-0 for 2024 and are scoring 7.85 runs a game and have an ERA of 0.73 as a team. That streak "thing" is at 67 now. I can't think of many things that could be better right now for the Sooners. Maybe the four errors in 14 games is a surprise and needs to be cleaned up on the infield (the obstruction error in PV was just wrong though and should not exist).

It is on to the opening of Love's Field on Friday in Norman. It will be a big day, a VERY BIG day for the Sooner softball program and the a great deal more. The field looks beautiful and worthy of the moment as well. Miami of Ohio, Liberty and Louisiana-Lafayette will be there to join the Sooners. I wish it was 100% ready, but what ever percent it is, will be good enough for now. It is a great thing to be a Sooner Fan!

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Very nice recap '56. Thank you so much for all you do and all the color and information you share with us.

Did you get to ride back to OKC with the team? or did you have a later flight?

Nice comment about Rollie Fingers...Ha!
I'll go back a little further----would like to see a closer like Ryne Duren for the Yankees waaayyyy back when. Threw 100mph and wore coke bottle lenses. I always thought the batters were scared to death to come to the plate against him---but they always did. I was just a kid back then. But I remember a whole lot of batters just swinging at air when he threw.
That's what I like to see a closer do for us.
aka Crimson47