OU W BB hosts BYU tonight in a key contest for the Sooners!

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

OU W BB hosts BYU tonight in a key contest for the Sooners!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The staff article for tonight's Women's BB game between Oklahoma University and Brigham Young University is provided below.

https://soonersports.com/news/2021/12/1 ... riday.aspx

Oklahoma enters the contests at 8-1 while BYU brings in a undefeated record of 8-0 and a #16/17 ranking. the tip-off is at 6 PM tonight at Lloyd Noble Center. The game will also be televised on Sooner Sports TV (a subscription may be required.) Earlier in the season, the Sooners let an upset victory slip out of their hands in the Bahamas over then ranked #9 Oregon in the last five minutes. Tonight's game against BYU provides the Sooners another chance to jump up into the rankings with a victory.

As the article indicates, BYU is led by their own 'trio' of Gonzales, Harding and Gustin. As a trio they average 47.3 points and 19.0 rebounds a game. Gonzales and Harding are guards and Gustin is a forward. The BYU trio is very similar to OU's trio of Robertson (G), Llanusa (G) and Williams (F). The three Sooners average 54.1 points and 16.9 rebounds a game.

As teams, BYU actually shoots the basketball a little better from the field than the Sooners. BYU averages 75.6 points and allows only 58.9 points a game. OU will put a great deal of pressure on the BYU defense with their fast-paced offense. OU averages 88.67 points a game and allows 71.78 points a game. OU does outrebound BYU 45.1 to 38.3 a game. But they could be due to the up-tempo game that OU plays versus the slower pace of BYU.

Pace of play and shooting percentages will be a very large part of this game. If OU can control the pace and get quality trips down the floor without unnecessary turnovers they should have a very good chance to be successful in this contest. I honestly think that Maddie Williams needs to have her best game of the young season tonight. While Robertson and Llanusa provide the instantaneous points from the outside, Williams can be the center of the offense in tough times and against the better teams for the Sooners. I am anxious to see how Williams plays tonight in this contest. I think the two point guards for Oklahoma will also be keys tonight, If Washington (FR) and Tot (JR) smartly handle the pace of the game for OU the win will be within reach for the Sooners.

I hope there is a good crowd tonight for the game.

Boomer Sooner!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

So for those that follow Women's Basketball, how good do you think this years team is? They are 8-1 so that sounds good to me.
::rice2:: :dude:
Sooner Cal

Post by Sooner Cal »

I like the style they are playing this season. I think it makes it easier to build a rhythm and it’s more fun to play this type of ball. The won tonight 99-91.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

From where this team was to now is night and day. Quite the quick turnaround! Quality win already!
In Brent I Trust :D
Giraffespots

Post by Giraffespots »

We are a Team. Finally. How do you beat a ranked opponent who has a player hit 10 3 pointers? TEN. No doubt, we have lots to work on but we are a team. There should be no question about making the tournament. The loss of Ana should have decimated us but it didn't. I am not optimistic about her returning, but I hope she does and I hope she isn't seriously hurt.

We had Madi being the ultimate team leader and bench players screaming their guts out. I sat behind Jennies husband (I think that who he was) and he was all over the place screaming, cheering, pacing into the aisles.

This was a great win. That loss to Oregon paid dividends tonight.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

::rice2:: :dude: